Paul Lambert

limpid

West ham playing some good stuff under alladyce. Is their team that much better than ours?

We could only dream of having a player like Song.

They could probably say the same about benteke.

And is it one player that's made all the difference?

Well you could, but they have Valencia and Sakho who look immense. Look at Noble who is on par or better than Delph/Westwood and a much better back 4 and it's no wonder they're much better than us.

Just using Transfermarkt (although I am not sure they have got it 100% correct). According to the theory we should not beat those who have spent a lot of money, or that can't compete with those who have one marquee signing...

So based on spend / spend and wages / wages / marquee players.

We will lose both games to:

Man United, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham. (14 games with nothing from them). +42 points impossible - even if Liverpool proves we can get points here, we are very unlikely due to finance.

Will not compete with:

Southampton, Everton, West Ham, QPR, Newcastle (10) +30 points to play for, due to finance we don't have a chance.

Might have a chance against: 

Leicester, Swansea, West Brom, Stoke. (8) possible +24 points - but these are teams equal to us so we could end up with less.

Should beat:

Burnley, Palace, Hull, Sunderland (8) +24 points to play for.

So if we say through the course of the season we get 3 points from pot a (Liverpool away), 4 from pot b (Newcastle H, and one other win), 12 points from pot c and 24 from pot d, we are looking with our team (which is not as god as anything in the top half) to fight for 43 points.

^Just going by who we can/cannot compete with.

Edited by DK82

Well you could, but they have Valencia and Sakho who look immense. Look at Noble who is on par or better than Delph/Westwood and a much better back 4 and it's no wonder they're much better than us.

Valencia and sakho look good. Type of players we can't sign? I don't think so. That back 4 contains Collins who many villa fans wanted rid of. And if I remember we were close to signing cresswell but wouldn't match the fee Ipswich wanted. When you add up wages and money spent on lbs the last 3 years that's something we could have done.

I think you have to give some credit to Sam allardyce as well.

Its a shame I now look at teams like Southampton and west ham with serious envy.

• Like 1

Valencia and sakho look good. Type of players we can't sign? I don't think so. That back 4 contains Collins who many villa fans wanted rid of. And if I remember we were close to signing cresswell but wouldn't match the fee Ipswich wanted. When you add up wages and money spent on lbs the last 3 years that's something we could have done.

I think you have to give some credit to Sam allardyce as well.

Its a shame I now look at teams like Southampton and west ham with serious envy.

Could we afford them? Didn't Valencia cost 11 million and Sakho 6? Not too mention wages.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Collins isn't their first choice.

We couldn't afford Cresswell so we bought Bennett.

So they can beat man city without first choice players. Maybe we could have afforded the extra for cresswell if we hadn't signed a couple of other players who weren't good enough. I don't think we need to compare like for like signings. The point is west ham don't have an amazing squad yet they currently look miles ahead of where we could be. I think its down to more than just being able to spend a bit extra.

Not being able to afford cress well is not an excuse to buy shite.

Right now, west ham have a manager who is head and shoulders above ours. Teams like west ham and Southampton are light years ahead of us for a number of reasons including managers. There is simply no reason for the dour football we consistently dish up.

Other than the poor manager we have and the largely woeful players he has bought

Edited by Woodytom

While cresswell is good let's not forget we've also signed a good lb. One that went for a lot of money only a few years ago.

Agree with this.

We have a really good team this year and a much stronger squad. I think this is our best squad/team balance since MON's last season.

So they can beat man city without first choice players. Maybe we could have afforded the extra for cresswell if we hadn't signed a couple of other players who weren't good enough. I don't think we need to compare like for like signings. The point is west ham don't have an amazing squad yet they currently look miles ahead of where we could be. I think its down to more than just being able to spend a bit extra.

I agree with most of that.

Bennett cost us 3m, Cresswell was 4m.

He wasn't 4m when we wanted him. He was quoted as like 8M which is why we went for Bennett instead.

Bennett cost us 3m, Cresswell was 4m.

He wasn't 4m when we wanted him. He was quoted as like 8M which is why we went for Bennett instead.

So amongst all the other things can we also say Lambert lacks patience. :huh:

Â