Paul Lambert

limpid

Other teams are also better equipped, squad wise, to cope with injuries.

That's not absolving Lambert of blame. If anything it could implicate him more. Why don't we have a squad better able to cope with inevitable injuries?

But I don't think you can just look at number of injuries. They require some context.

They would probably be 12th in the league with 10 points and a -8 goal difference having scored only 4 goals all season and just lost 4 games on the bounce conceding 11 goals without reply.

Don't be silly.

They might be if they'd built their squads on a shoestring. However, considering several players from both of their squads cost more individually than all 14 of the players we used at the weekend did combined then of course they wouldn't / shouldn't be anywhere near where we are.

nobody said we were cursed but so far this season we have had Vlaar, Delph and Benteke for a considerable period of time and they are our 3 best outfield players.

e.g How would Chelsea or City cope if they lost Terry, Fabregas and Costa or Kompany, Yaya and Aguero

They would probably be 12th in the league with 10 points and a -8 goal difference having scored only 4 goals all season and just lost 4 games on the bounce conceding 11 goals without reply.

so you think Lambert is overachieving ;)

nobody said we were cursed but so far this season we have had Vlaar, Delph and Benteke for a considerable period of time and they are our 3 best outfield players.

e.g How would Chelsea or City cope if they lost Terry, Fabregas and Costa or Kompany, Yaya and Aguero

And they would have beaten themselves 3-0 at home as part of that run.

“It’s definitely the strongest squad since I’ve been here." - Paul Lambert, just after the window closed.

Also, it is interesting that Alex McLeish losing three of his best players in Bent, Dunne and Petrov was never put forward as a mitigating factor for his failure by fans.

If this was McLeish's squad and he was turning out this kind of hoofball with an average 37% possession and 2/3 shots on target each game I think the situation would be taken far more seriously by Everybody!..

Que the 25k gates and Uncle Limpid and friends needing a new server!

Take Man utd for example, If Moyes was still in charge and had spent what LVG had this season with the same results and performances I'm sure there would be rioting in Kent and the surrounds.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 3

Last season I felt we had a decent first 11 and little to back it up. Now I think we have a half decent squad. You look at Saturday and we put out a decent first 11, only Senderos and Delph would have started for me in place of Baker and Richardson. The bench was pretty strong and in addition to Senderos, Delph and Kozak who were out injured we also had Okore, Grealish and Bacuna who failed to make the 18.

Injuries and suspensions are part and parcel of the game unfortunately but we are now better equipped to deal with them than in recent seasons.

Saturdays result and dire performance had nothing to do with injuries for me. The way that we failed to keep the ball, failed to create chances and the shambolic defending has been an all too frequent feature of our play regardless of who we had, or didn't have, on the pitch.

And that is exactly the point. I don't buy the line we have a dreadful side if we have a few injuries, of course it makes things more difficult, but we simply don't do the basics properly and that has always been the case under Lambert. Witness the limp and lack lustre performance in the second half on Saturday.

• Like 4

Last season I felt we had a decent first 11 and little to back it up. Now I think we have a half decent squad. You look at Saturday and we put out a decent first 11, only Senderos and Delph would have started for me in place of Baker and Richardson. The bench was pretty strong and in addition to Senderos, Delph and Kozak who were out injured we also had Okore, Grealish and Bacuna who failed to make the 18.

Injuries and suspensions are part and parcel of the game unfortunately but we are now better equipped to deal with them than in recent seasons.

Saturdays result and dire performance had nothing to do with injuries for me. The way that we failed to keep the ball, failed to create chances and the shambolic defending has been an all too frequent feature of our play regardless of who we had, or didn't have, on the pitch.

Great post Mark!

We have the squad and first team players to produce an end product on the pitch far better than we witness each week especially at home yet we seem to turn out the same turgid, boring, no hope football on far to many occasions. It's not just this season either, it's the only consistant factor during Lambert's reign. Turgidity,, dourness and souless!

As someone else pointed out we could have saved a few million and kept McLeish with the very same outcome.

I truly beleive that this side we currently have could compete in the league far better with a better manager.

I am still flabbergasted that he has technically another 4 years to inflict this dross on us loyal fans. I still liken the day he was offered another 4 years to someone posting a dog turd through my letterbox!

Lerner criteria is never going to be about performances or entertainment or giving the fans something to cheer about. All he wants is a yes man who has no backbone of his own and will carry out whatever stupid idea he comes up with next!

I wonder how long before Fox realises that under Lambert he will not have a product to sell!

Yeah kind of puts the dampeners on the, "If you build it they will come" yadda yadda.

Edited by Kingman

I am worried we are falling into a negative trap of feeling sorry for ourselves regarding injuries and poor results, thus justifying further poor performances and results against so called "better opposition". I am reasonable enough to understand a lack of quality within our squad compared to other clubs, but I cannot accept, or even rationalise, a lack of effort like last Saturday.

I make no apology for viewing the QPR game as huge, we simply cannot afford to lose given our recent form. 

I'm off to the doctors. I find myself agreeing with you.

• Like 3

I'm just not sure he's capable of changing it. Why are we not trying different things? His way has been awful for too long and he's so reluctant to try something different.

Even saggy chops made five changes for the Liverpool game on Sunday. Would Lambert change it up that much? Doubt it.

We could all predict our starting eleven and the system deployed for the next game with a very high degree of accuracy.

• Like 1

Lambert should have the team playing the basics now. There is not much change to the team season after season. Under Lambert I have never seen consistancy, one quality game five shite can't be arsed games. Im sorry but this can only be down to the manager. Ive seen games, ok I admit rarely at home, that im thinking to myself, who are these imposters playing entertaining quality football. Then the next game they are back not even able to string a pass together. Things need to change here and this season, for me, it needs to start with the manager. Ok he is certainly not the worst manager I admit. But if we can't sack him on merit lets just do it for a change, a turnaround. 

I'm just not sure he's capable of changing it. Why are we not trying different things? His way has been awful for too long and he's so reluctant to try something different.

Even saggy chops made five changes for the Liverpool game on Sunday. Would Lambert change it up that much? Doubt it.

We could all predict our starting eleven and the system deployed for the next game with a very high degree of accuracy.

Even if he does change a few players we all know the kind of formation and approach the team will take.

Well played to the following teams tonight for winning away from home:

Bayern Munich - 7 goals with 11 shots on target (90 minutes)

Shaktar Donetsk - 7 goals with 13 shots on target (90 minutes)

Compared to the mighty tactical attacking genius of Paul Lambert:

Aston Villa - 4 goals with 12 shots on target (720 minutes)

He has a plan - we go again!

• Like 2

Well played to the following teams tonight for winning away from home:

Bayern Munich - 7 goals with 11 shots on target (90 minutes)

Shaktar Donetsk - 7 goals with 13 shots on target (90 minutes)

Compared to the mighty tactical attacking genius of Paul Lambert:

Aston Villa - 4 goals with 12 shots on target (720 minutes)

He has a plan - we go again!

Two of those goals were at home!  :D

Â