Paul Lambert

limpid

Well without getting into all the banter and 1 sided opinions we currently look a much better team than we did last season. It helps we have a team made up predominantly of men, not a lot of kids who looked out of their depth.

Yeah I can't see us getting bullied and rolling over much this year.

According to eurosport it's only the sixth time in our history that we've kept clean sheets in the first two matches of a top flight season.

Lamberts summer business, so far, seems to have been good. Hopefully he'll be able to bring in the 'couple of players' that he's mentioned and we can have a reasonable safe and solid season.

According to eurosport it's only the sixth time in our history that we've kept clean sheets in the first two matches of a top flight season.

Lamberts summer business, so far, seems to have been good. Hopefully he'll be able to bring in the 'couple of players' that he's mentioned and we can have a reasonable safe and solid season.

I just hope we don't have a really bad overreaction and "crisis" talk etc. when we hit the run of fixtures after Hull. If we beat Hull, then only take 3 points from the next 5 matches we'll have 10 points from 8 games and probably be mid table. So beating Hull now looks pretty important if we don't do as well against the big sides as we did last year. 

It looks like we have the defence finally sorted, we saw a few flashes of the greater freedom Westwood and Delph will get with Sanchez in behind them too and it looked pretty useful, Delph especially. I think we looked massively improved on last season and if Gabby, Andi and Zog were on better form we'd have scored more IMO. Some of the service in to the box was excellent yesterday and no-one had made the right run to get on the end ot it. Not just from wide either, Westwood played two free kicks from deep central positions that really should have resulted in testing the keeper.

If we do add another couple, you'd think they'd be attacking midfielders, either wide or central. With that and the options we now have I think we could surprise a few people this year. 

When you think about what Lambert has had to work with and under what conditions he's managed to pull off some incredible stuff this last summer, from Keane to Sanchez, really good stuff.

Everyone's still sussing each other out in the league this early on in the season but, FWIW I believe we were right to approach the game with a bit of caution. Sure, we perhaps could've done more try and get the win but I think it was important that we didn't lose the game.

The knock on effect of keeping another clean sheet is that it gives us the confidence that our team is solid. Had we lost, then the same old insecurities would've reared their ugly heads. Last season we won the opening game creating a false dawn. This season we've been tested by a physical team and a tricky, pacy team and not conceded a goal.

If we can get the result in midweek against Orient, then that will give the whole team a new level of belief going into the Hull game - where I believe we'll start to see a different starting XI, hopefully with Grealish and Cole featuring.

• Like 1

A big, big problem last season was a defence that had no real experience (outside Vlaar). So when errors crept in, we were not in a position to greatly change the team. It put more pressure on Vlaar as captain. Vlaar is not without errors himself but injury meant using Baker/Clark - two defenders who are simply not good enough week in week out. Say what you will about Senderos, but he's looked solid and Vlaar will appreciate the added experience. It's obviously early days, but our defence looks far superior.

Despite the outrageous limitations placed on Lambert, he's put together a stronger defence, that will steady the ship. We still have Okore working up to full fitness. So we have options.

• Like 2

A big, big problem last season was a defence that had no real experience (outside Vlaar). So when errors crept in, we were not in a position to greatly change the team. It put more pressure on Vlaar as captain. Vlaar is not without errors himself but injury meant using Baker/Clark - two defenders who are simply not good enough week in week out. Say what you will about Senderos, but he's looked solid and Vlaar will appreciate the added experience. It's obviously early days, but our defence looks far superior.

Despite the outrageous limitations placed on Lambert, he's put together a stronger defence, that will steady the ship. We still have Okore working up to full fitness. So we have options.

Exactly and this is why I can understand the need not to lose the game first and foremost. There was a nervous, toxic atmosphere at VP whenever the ball was anywhere near the back 4 last season, and that must've transferred onto the pitch.

That nervous energy has all but gone now thanks to 2 clean sheets in a row (however even from 3,500 miles away I felt it return when Baker came on).

I think PL will set us up to be more adventurous against Hull, but I'm happy with the start we've had. We could just as easily be sat on 0 points.

• Like 1

3-4 of those crosses yesterday kozak or benteke would have been on the end of. I think yesterday would have been alot different if we had a decent striker on the pitch. Richardson,Senderos,Hutton and sissoko are major plus points for me they've been excellent in both games. We'll be fine

• Like 2

I agree, once we lose the fear factor over our home form, we will gradually improve. Too often teams came to Villa Park and bullied us off the pitch, waited for a mistake and anticipated a counter attack.

On the first point:

We have a stronger, experienced more physically imposing and taller defence

On the second point:

Mistakes should be less frequent with experienced players in a system that plays to their strengths

On the third point:

With Joe Cole building up fitness - we do have a different option at home to unlock defences. Also, the likes of Grealish gives us a different option.

Points one and two are evident and imperative for us to drop this fear factor. Point three would ideally be executed, but that will take longer. But a more confident defence will help the team out. The addition of Sanchez adds to that.

We might look at just one shot on target against Newcastle as evidence of failure but we were defensively solid and that was key. Maybe in a month or two the players will not look at the home games with trepidation, fearing the crowd getting on their backs, or worried about making a mistake. Mistakes will still happen, but we've got enough experience in the side to handle it better. With time and having the right players available, we will hopefully not repeat the errors at home from last season.

The Newcastle result is a positive that might just help us improve our appalling home record this year. Perhaps I am being overly positive but right now I am enjoying our defensive confidence in the hope it carries us through to more difficult games.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

You can't eat an Elephant in one go.

as much as i was disappointed in the offensive side of our game.....I was as equally delighted in "the much waited for" improvement in defence.

remember we can get 38 points without scoring a goal....thats as many as we finished with last term, despite scoring 39 goals

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

You can't eat an Elephant in one go.

as much as i was disappointed in the offensive side of our game.....I was as equally delighted in "the much waited for" improvement in defence.

remember we can get 38 points without scoring a goal....thats as many as we finished with last term, despite scoring 39 goals

Haha, true, a point a game now has us finishing on 40 points ;)

I'll agree with some of the other posts above that not losing and maybe being slightly more conservative was in this sense not a negative in my eyes.

For the first time in a very long time we have looked like a premier league football team for two games in a row. We look well organised and tough to break down. If we can keep that up then we are half way there in terms of safety which is all I care about this year.

His subs were slightly cautious on Sat but to be honest I thought they were spot on. Newcastle were actually starting to come in to the game and exert a bit of pressure which Lambert completely shut down with the Sanchez sub.

Think he would have added the guile in Grealish but couldn't because of Cissokho.

Anyway 4 points from two games is a decent start, lets get a result on Sunday and with the confidence I'd back to cause at least one upset (maybe a point!) in the horrible run we've got after that.

• Like 2

I think any team in our position would be happy with the points we've put on the board without our two best strikers, especially with two clean sheets.

Bodes well for when they're back which hopefully will happen during that horrible run of games starting next month!

• Like 1

best defence in the league :)

It needed to be for the first 3 games, Our goal is seriously going to get peper sprayed in 6 of the next 7 games...

Or in the words of danny dyer, It's gonna get pwopper naughty!

I'll agree with some of the other posts above that not losing and maybe being slightly more conservative was in this sense not a negative in my eyes.

For the first time in a very long time we have looked like a premier league football team for two games in a row. We look well organised and tough to break down. If we can keep that up then we are half way there in terms of safety which is all I care about this year.

His subs were slightly cautious on Sat but to be honest I thought they were spot on. Newcastle were actually starting to come in to the game and exert a bit of pressure which Lambert completely shut down with the Sanchez sub.

Think he would have added the guile in Grealish but couldn't because of Cissokho.

Anyway 4 points from two games is a decent start, lets get a result on Sunday and with the confidence I'd back to cause at least one upset (maybe a point!) in the horrible run we've got after that.

We will get a few points during that run, at least past evidence suggests so. We could really use the win Saturday to take the pressure off.

• Like 1

I agree DDID, we'll pick something up. 

I think all things considered, the fans would take a few narrow losses in those games, however, I think we'll surprise a few teams.  Give Sanchez a few games and he'll be in the starting line up and this will only help our counter attacking (we all saw that delicious ball to Hutton didn't we?) which is our strength when attacking.

And given how much stronger our defence is looking, I think we'll be fine.

Mistakes will be made, there's a lot of new players coming into the team at the moment, but we have to ride with the punches.  It's just nice to know the teams around us aren't going to spank us when we play them.  I was very encouraged against Stoke, they usually do really well against us and are a decent footballing team now under Hughes. 

It's also good to see the forum members agreeing and becoming a little optimistic :)

Keep it up guys :D

this tough run that we all talk about is a bit of a paradox for me.

I don't want to temp fate or get ahead of myself, but there are points in these games for sure.

with our present set up we struggle against teams that park the bus or close us down.....the top teams can let you play to an extent and that can play in to our hands...we can counter them and despite Gabby's poor form thats where he is in his oiltot.

Whilst it has been a pleasing start, and progress from last year same fixtures, you have to wait a bit longer to see how we will do. I remember the first 10-15 games last year we looked more solid and then we expected a steady mid table season. Then it all fell apart in the second half of the season. So wait and see.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Whilst it has been a pleasing start, and progress from last year same fixtures, you have to wait a bit longer to see how we will do. I remember the first 10-15 games last year we looked more solid and then we expected a steady mid table season. Then it all fell apart in the second half of the season. So wait and see.

.....couldn't agree with you more.

but equally it can't be heads you lose, tails you lose.

There has to be some things we can be happy about.....and for now, the defence is.

Â