Paul Lambert

limpid

A comfortable finish 13th and above would do me this season.  I'd like to get to the spring without ever having looked like really being in relegation trouble, and not having gone out of the cups cheaply to shite lower league opoosition.

This for me too. Just being a comfortable position without fear of going down.

From reading the Senderos thread it dawned on me how much experience this summer signings have. Richardson for Man United, Senderos for Arsenal, Cissokho for Lyon, Valencia & Liverpool, Cole for Liverpool & Chelsea and Sanchez just came back after playing in all of Colombia's World Cup matches.

I think these signings will see us alright this season.

It was crap before Lambert arrived and under this regime it'll be crap if/when he leaves. Until the club is sold and we have an owner willing to invest it wouldn't matter who's manager.

They were saying that before Ron Saunders arrived
How is Ron Saunders relevant to Paul Lambert? That was over 30 years ago.
I was referring to the principle involved...there was no money around then......principles have no bearing on time....

30 years....60 years....90 years....so what.

....a lie today is the same as a lie 100 years ago

It's not a lie though, the game was completely different then, the role of the manager was different - Ron Saunders would fail in the modern era, he'd hate it, he wouldn't take the job and if he did, he'd fail. It's a different game. He was perfect for then, for us, but he's irrelevant to this. You can't keep living in the past TRO, the club doesn't get points for it's name.

With no money it's impossible to do well. You could put Mourinho in charge of Villa this season and me in charge of Man City and I'd finish above him.

For me, Lambert is doing a good job of keeping a bad team in the division for peanuts - he'll never be short of work on that basis.

It's not necessarily a case of living in the past.....as if time is the only central character in all of this....of course things have changed. Particularly with the financial landscape and agents...but there again, money was a consideration Ron Saunders had to deal with, but perhaps not to such an extent as today.

The rest of the country was whinging in our early years because villa was buying up all the best players.....admittedly it was possible due to our large gates.....but the principles remain the same as today.....just that the money comes from alternative sources and larger sums.

There are plenty of things in football that hasn't changed...too many to mention before it becomes boring.

We have what we have, we must make the most of it, like the whingers of yesteryear who have overtaken us for various reasons.

Money is undoubtedly a factor that cannot be denied, but don't under estimate the value of a good manager and how much they can work the oracle when denied those helpful funds

Would Ron Saunders or Brian Clough work today....is anyone's guess. My view is they were both resourceful characters and would make a silk purse out of a sows ear, so I would say they would find a way. They operated how they had to then, they would operate how they had to now.

As for Jose Mourinho managing villa v obe managing man city.....as hypothetical as it is...there wouldn't be much in it for me.

I have more faith in the value of a manager than the bare commodity of money.

Just my view.

Ps alternatively, you might as well set up a league based on how much a team spends and call them champions.....and save us all the bother.

Edited by TRO

I was heartened by that performance/result yesterday

Sure we beat arsenal this time last season and on paper was a bigger scalp....but we still acquired that result primarily relying on smash and grab football, which is ok but not that progressive.

Yesterday was a business like, closing down operation, that smacked of a clear eye on a win.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, but there were some good signs for me.

Would Ron Saunders or Brian Clough work today....is anyone's guess. My view is they were both resourceful characters and would make a silk purse out of a sows ear, so I would say they would find a way. They operated how they had to then, they would operate how they had to now.

What makes you think that? Money is so important these days and we just don't have much of it when compared to other PL clubs.

What makes you think that? Money is so important these days and we just don't have much of it when compared to other PL clubs.

I respect your view, I really do.....and of course money is central to success today.

But I also believe the essential ingredient of a good manager can negate some of the shortfall.

Not saying you can win the league with no money, just saying a good manager with limited funds can make you respectable.

Swansea was built on good footballing values, by good managers and come from way behind us in terms of football profile....it's only now that they are able to spend in larger sums.

Let's hope our day will come back....where we can buy reasonably big, but even then there are no guarantee's as we so aptly know.

• Like 1

A comfortable finish 13th and above would do me this season. I'd like to get to the spring without ever having looked like really being in relegation trouble, and not having gone out of the cups cheaply to shite lower league opoosition.

To be honest, the cup thing doesn't bother me too much. Yes we've had a bit of a mare, but they are one off games against clubs who clearly had the bit between their teeth. It became a bit of a "habit". I was as disappointed as anyone going out to Bradford, but we could play this games another 99 times and I think we'd go through.

Milwall is the only one that sticks in my jaw. Completely inept. But shit happens.

Other than that, I agree. I also think it's doable with the squad we have.

From reading the Senderos thread it dawned on me how much experience this summer signings have. Richardson for Man United, Senderos for Arsenal, Cissokho for Lyon, Valencia & Liverpool, Cole for Liverpool & Chelsea and Sanchez just came back after playing in all of Colombia's World Cup matches.

I think these signings will see us alright this season.

I saw them all as experienced signings but in a completely different way. They've all played a season at least in relegation threatened teams. If not 2-4 seasons

Richardson @ Sunderland, Fulham and baggies, Senderos @ Fulham, Cissokho @ his first club in Portugal, Sanchez @ Elche and Valenciennes, Cole @ West Ham

They know what it means to battle out results and to have to play under pressure. They've got experience both ends of the spectrum and for that they will help out any youngers lads playing greatly.

• Like 1

Any idea apart from Bowery why we are loaning out every one of Lambert's cheap failures rather than selling them?

Luna, Bennett, Sylla, Helenius and Tonev.. doesn't make sense why not just sell them?

maybe the teams who could afford them haven't wanted to purchase them

Any idea apart from Bowery why we are loaning out every one of Lambert's cheap failures rather than selling them?

Luna, Bennett, Sylla, Helenius and Tonev.. doesn't make sense why not just sell them?

I would hope that a few of these players could still play a part at Villa, or come back more experienced and bring in a larger transfer fee. I wouldn't mind seeing any of Luna, Bennett, Helenius and Tonev in the future for Villa, if it were cup games/ injury cover (providing they upped their game).

I'd say it's to free up space in our 25 man squad asap as loaning is quicker than selling because teams will wait til near the end of the window to get a better price on a player and that would mess up our plans.

Game time? Who's to say they might not all develop further after a season of regular football? Tonev and helenius especially for me. Plus if we sold them all for what we paid still doesn't leave us much to work with.

Loaning them out because they can't sell them. Usually loaned out players that aren't youngsters from the academy have no future at the club unless the manager is changed, especially at Aston Villa. Who was the last bought, the loaned out player, who's been back into the team? 

Â