Paul Lambert

limpid

The notion that the criticisms of Lambert and/or his tactics is any less valid because those making them don't have coaching qualifications is completely ridiculous and I can't believe so many seemingly endorsed it.

By that logic the opinions of film and food critics who have neither produced films or been a chef are irrelevant and unjustified too, yes?

• Like 1

The notion that the criticisms of Lambert and/or his tactics is any less valid because those making them don't have coaching qualifications is completely ridiculous and I can't believe so many seemingly endorsed it.

By that logic the opinions of film and food critics who have neither produced films or been a chef are irrelevant and unjustified too, yes?

No. In the words of Dr Spock: "Illogical Captain!"

Yet this logic was the foundation of your point.

Interesting.

I think both camps have solid points tbh.

Lambert out camp:

- Tactical limitations

- Lack of a clear playing style coupled with different formations

- No progress based on his nearly 2 years at the job

- Poor home record

Lambert backers:

- Lack of funds from Lerner, not easy to compete when teams around you have way more to spend

- Injury problems haven't helped

- Still a young squad, needs to be given time

I don't think Lambert is the main problem.. We need better owners, which will make us compete financially with the rest of the league, because at the minute, that is not the case. And this has been our main problem for several years now, and as long as we can't compete financially it doesn't matter whoever manager we have in charge.

I definetly think we could have a better manager, but Lambert is still learning and is a fairly young manager still. But i don't agree with Moyes being our new manager, i think Lambert has a higher potential. If we were to hire a new manager i think we should look after some of the modern breed managers that is coming through, see Martinez, Rodgers, Poccetino etc. Obviously they are a hard find, but that is the sort of managers we should be after.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 4

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert 

That has to be the craziest statement I have read on Villatalk in a long while.

In my view it disqualifies the rest of your post from serious or rational consideration.

Check out Norwich City 3 Bristol City 1 just before Norwich were promoted & you'll swear your watching Pele, Rivelinho, Jairzinho, Garincha, Zico, Ronaldo et al.

Lambert rocks!

Ah, I see...I was interpreting that as a comment on Lambert's first season with Norwich in the premier league, when they put in a pleasingly solid, mid-table performance but blotted their copy book a bit in the cup competitions (defeats to MK Dons & Leicester).

Didn't realise you were saying they were like Brazil in their Championship promotion year. 

In that case, I withdraw the comment that your remark was "the craziest statement I have read on Villatalk". Under this new interpretation, the comment is even crazier than that.

I note with interest also that you seem to have spent a lot of time watching Norwich play in 2009-10. Bit of a strange thing for a Villa fan to be doing, wasn't it?   :suspect: 

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Mr. Spock.

The only thing illogical around here is your continuing defence of one of, if not, the, most awful manager this club has ever had the misfortune to employ.

Mr. Spock.

The only thing illogical around here is your continuing defence of one of, if not, the, most awful manager this club has ever had the misfortune to employ.

He's not the worst. Not by an awfully long way. Any manager with Lamberts constraints would be in a similar position.

Ok, maybe we'd have a better goal difference, a couple more points etc, but for what he's been working with, the only important stat is whether we stay in the premier league.

Silly comparison I know, but if alex ferguson managed this team, he'd only have us maybe 9th.

As far as im concerned, there's not a big difference between 9th and 16th. All of those positions are worthless.

Give him a chance with some money, if we don't give him money, no better manager would come to us anyway :lol:

• Like 1

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert 

That has to be the craziest statement I have read on Villatalk in a long while.

In my view it disqualifies the rest of your post from serious or rational consideration.

Check out Norwich City 3 Bristol City 1 just before Norwich were promoted & you'll swear your watching Pele, Rivelinho, Jairzinho, Garincha, Zico, Ronaldo et al.

Lambert rocks!

There is a major flaw in your post and it is..................'drum roll'

they were playing BRISTOL CITY!

• Like 1

Personally, I think that while everyone is entitled to an opinion, everyone is not entitled to have that opinion treated with equal weight. A civil engineer's comments on bridge building carry more weight than those of a nurse. Qualification and knowledge of a field does give more validity to comment.

When it comes to the arts it's slightly different, as appreciation or enjoyment of painting or film is down much more to personal preferences than to facts. Same with music.

When we talk about football tactics, it's half way between the two. It's part aesthetics, part results, part circumstances, part opposition, part resources....

ANyway, this Paul Lambert character..

....is tactically clueless! :)

• Like 1

Y'know, I'm beginning to get the feeling that Big_John_10 is pretty much always right, is anyone else getting that vibe?

Fixed for you.

That's a scary thought my friend

Unfortunately its the reality of Lerners Aston villa.

Jeezus get him out then pronto ;)

Please quit people from slagging Lambert off over his tactics.

The guy played for Borussia Dortmund & had Hitzfeld as a mentor. He has his coaching badges & knows more about tactics than the majority of posters on VT (myself included) could put on the back of a postage stamp. He also played under MON too & has adopted his playing style at times when necessary.

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert & there is no way that you become a bad manager over night.

Far from being tactically inept I think you'll find he is actually tactically very astute.

How else then did we beat the top teams this season like Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10. Lambert did try to sign Hoolahan but McNasty was having none of it.

Also, given our pure bad luck with injuries, chances are that Hoolahan would have ended up being crocked anyway on his Villa debut had we signed him.

Lambert knows what he is doing & I back his judgement entirely.

Before you all choke on your cornflakes in responding to this post can I just please make one simple request that you show us all your coaching badges first.

So much wrong with this.

You shouldn't kid yourself into thinking every professional manager has a high level of tactical nous ala Mourinho. They don't trust me.

Even if he did have this understanding, it's a huge indictment of his ability as a manager that he's not been able to get anything out his own Premier League football team except kicking the ball long all season.

Lambert has cocked up the biggest job he will ever have by sorting out a system where these players can play how he wants.

Anyone think Pulis' Palace team have many more talented players than us?

Please quit people from slagging Lambert off over his tactics.

The guy played for Borussia Dortmund & had Hitzfeld as a mentor. He has his coaching badges & knows more about tactics than the majority of posters on VT (myself included) could put on the back of a postage stamp. He also played under MON too & has adopted his playing style at times when necessary.

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert & there is no way that you become a bad manager over night.

Far from being tactically inept I think you'll find he is actually tactically very astute.

How else then did we beat the top teams this season like Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10. Lambert did try to sign Hoolahan but McNasty was having none of it.

Also, given our pure bad luck with injuries, chances are that Hoolahan would have ended up being crocked anyway on his Villa debut had we signed him.

Lambert knows what he is doing & I back his judgement entirely.

Before you all choke on your cornflakes in responding to this post can I just please make one simple request that you show us all your coaching badges first.

So much wrong with this.

You shouldn't kid yourself into thinking every professional manager has a high level of tactical nous ala Mourinho. They don't trust me.

Even if he did have this understanding, it's a huge indictment of his ability as a manager that he's not been able to get anything out his own Premier League football team except kicking the ball long all season.

Lambert has cocked up the biggest job he will ever have by sorting out a system where these players can play how he wants.

Anyone think Pulis' Palace team have many more talented players than us?

I will also add as I have been on said coaching course that the pros really only have to turn up to get there certification. I know many a non-pro player who is now a coach who I would put ahead of Lambert. They are never going to get the job because they were never a pro.

I don't know for sure (will look it up when I can) but I expect most titles have been won by coaches who haven't played at the highest level. The reason is they have to work harder to get their badges than the stars.

• Like 1

Example the cup run including the Bradford debarcle proves he has very limited tactical nous. A lower League manager would not have stuck 5-6 upfront in the second half. Remember Bradford are not a great side. It was more about man/team management than the quality of the players in that game. We was more than capable of winning that game especially over 2 legs, its just the players had no idea what they were supposed to be doing in that second half!

Â