Paul Lambert

limpid

I was always under the impression MON came to the club knowing that Randy would be taking over and investing. MON might not be a very good football manager but he's a very clever man. I doubt he would have joined the club without having a very good idea of who would be his boss.

This absolutely is the case, there's absolutely no chance that MON would have come here to work under Doug, it's only because Lerner was coming in (and Lerner obviously took the advice given to him viz. MON) that he accepted Doug's 'offer'. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Yep I think it is a case of Lambert seeing out the season now, and then a parting ways one way or another. I know he hasn't had the greatest luck with injuries etc during his time here, but even when we weren't cursed with injuries we were far from great. Lambert had bought a lot of players in to make a squad, that frankly isn't anywhere near good enough. Shame really as I had high hopes at the start of his tenure, but the last two seasons have had some of the most embarrasing results since the dark old days of Billy McNeill. In fact I would almost go as far as saying the last few seasons aren't to disimilar to the Turner/McNeill years in terms of the clear out high earners and replace with young and hungry players. Not all Lamberts fault I know, but he hasn't shown an ability to get the best from what he has which good managers do.

So how would Lambert explain beating the big teams, but sometimes hardly competing against the lower teams, Crystal palace an the like. Baffles me?? Obviously this is excluding Man U who Lambert might have gained some credibility back if we beat them, but whatever shit form they are in we seem to roll over everytime.

I found the win % stats I was searching for...

Houllier 35.29%

McLeish 21.43%

Lambert 31.33%

So Lambert has a better win % over McLeish and is just about on par with Houllier's. For the record MON's win percentage 42.11%.

If you wanted  be pedantic, you could argue (based on those stats) that Lambert has made a better job than his predecessor and has more or less been on par with Houllier who at least was afforded the luxury of being able to spend £24m on just 1 player.   

EDIT: That Poll is rather damning though. 86% :o WOW!

Edited by Supervillan78

Houllier 35.29%

McLeish 21.43%

Lambert 31.33%

So Lambert has a better win % over McLeish and is just about on par with Houllier's. For the record MON's win percentage 42.11%.

If you wanted  be pedantic, you could argue (based on those stats) that Lambert has made a better job than his predecessor and has more or less been on par with Houllier who at least had been afforded the luxury of being able to spend £24m on just 1 player.   

Lambert' on his second season. McLeish and Houllier only had 1 season, not comparable, unless this is based on Lamberts first season?

I don't think much of Lerner but I'd be amazed if he had no say in the appointment of who the manager was going to be.

I'm sure he was kept in the loop but chances are Doug and the board at the time would've made their recommendations with Mon at the top of the list and Lerner would've gone with their recommendation. I can't imagine he was too involved beyond that

Houllier 35.29%

McLeish 21.43%

Lambert 31.33%

If you wanted  be pedantic, you could argue (based on those stats) that Lambert has made a better job than his predecessor and has more or less been on par with Houllier who at least was afforded the luxury of being able to spend £24m on just 1 player.   

Not sure where you got your figures from but Lambert's is currently a tad over 26%.

Found them online. Just did a quick search so who knows. I did ask if anyone here had the stats.

Go to www.avfc.co.uk and check the league tables for each season that is relevant and then work it out. It doesn't take much effort if you want the info.

Houllier 35.29%

McLeish 21.43%

Lambert 31.33%

Not sure where you got your figures from but Lambert's is currently a tad over 26%.

No it isn't. For this season it is 27%, last season it was 34.78%, overall it's at 31.32% as originally stated.

I was always under the impression MON came to the club knowing that Randy would be taking over and investing. MON might not be a very good football manager but he's a very clever man. I doubt he would have joined the club without having a very good idea of who would be his boss.

This absolutely is the case, there's absolutely no chance that MON would have come here to work under Doug, it's only because Lerner was coming in (and Lerner obviously took the advice given to him viz. MON) that he accepted Doug's 'offer'.

No ones said that Mon came here to work under Doug, he came here knowing new owners were on their way and Doug getting Mon in was part of the agreement if you like.

Lerner didn't ask specifically for Mon to be made manager which is what bj10 is saying.

Houllier 35.29%

McLeish 21.43%

Lambert 31.33%

No it isn't. For this season it is 27%, last season it was 34.78%, overall it's at 31.32% as originally stated.

How so? This season he has won 9 out of 34 and last season he won 10 out of 38. Maybe at your school these figures equated to 27% and 34.78% but not at mine.

So how would Lambert explain beating the big teams, but sometimes hardly competing against the lower teams, Crystal palace an the like. Baffles me?? Obviously this is excluding Man U who Lambert might have gained some credibility back if we beat them, but whatever shit form they are in we seem to roll over everytime.

Easy. Counter attack. When teams attack us we're effective on the break.  When teams sit back and let us have the ball we're terrible as we lack any creativity/movement.

We're a smash and grab team. 

Â