Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Totally TOTALLY different to Stephen Ireland.

That's a really strange comparison to be honest.

Left a Manchester club that he really didnt want to leave

Join a club he didnt really want to be at 

Paid a helluva lot of money

Midfielder who has been good in patches for his club he came through at but not consistently

Not really dont much of note for us

All it needs is for him to be player of the season for us and it's about as close as it gets IMO

Totally TOTALLY different to Stephen Ireland.

That's a really strange comparison to be honest.

Left a Manchester club that he really didnt want to leave

Join a club he didnt really want to be at 

Paid a helluva lot of money

Midfielder who has been good in patches for his club he came through at but not consistently

Not really dont much of note for us

All it needs is for him to be player of the season for us and it's about as close as it gets IMO

He has played less than a dozen games so bit early for that comparison, the not wanting to leave United and not wanting to come here is purely speculation.

Not really speculation that much given the events of the last few days of the summer window

The days  where Cleverley didn't want to join us or the days where Cleverley did want to join us but his greedy agent was trying to **** him over?

There could have been all kinds of reasons the move was dragged out tbf.

I think it's quite clear that his agent has been used as a scapegoat so he could save face. All credible reports agree that he was holding out for a move to Everton and that's why the initial deal fell through despite our bid being accepted.

Anyway, who actually cares whether we were his first choice or not? Can you really blame any player that would've been reluctant to come here if they felt there was a chance to move to a club like Everton instead? It's not like that is reflected in his performances effort wise. As sceptical as I am of Cleverley, one thing I cannot dispute is that he gives 100% every game.

• Like 4

I think it's quite clear that his agent has been used as a scapegoat so he could save face. All credible reports agree that he was holding out for a move to Everton and that's why the initial deal fell through despite our bid being accepted.

Anyway, who actually cares whether we were his first choice or not? Can you really blame any player that would've been reluctant to come here if they felt there was a chance to move to a club like Everton instead? It's not like that is reflected in his performances effort wise. As sceptical as I am of Cleverley, one thing I cannot dispute is that he gives 100% every game.

Good point Isa, your second paragraph I mean especially. Not wanting to join us, and being a player's first choice are two completely different things.

• Like 3

Let him go back in January, never worth 8m.

If Lambert really wants him, go back for him in the summer as a free agent. He's not the type of player who's going to make difference between relegation or not.

Spend that 8m on a creative player in January.

Delph and Gardner will be back hopefully in the new year so we wont even notice him gone, I don't notice him on the pitch most of the times

To be honest we need improvements in many positions.

midfield - Delph will be gone and Cleverly has not set the world alight so we need one at least two there

defence - Vlaar will be off and we have injuries to cover and and unsure Okore

creativity and wide players - we have next to nothing here

so if we only have 8M or so to spend then for me Cleverly can go back

• Like 3

We've completely lost the plot if we pay £8M for Cleverly, wouldn't be worth it with three years left let alone 6 months.

Guess we'll be looking for £10-£15M a piece for Vlaar and Delph if we value Cleverly at that.

Unless we plan to swap Vlaar for him!!

I actually think Cleverly is a decent midfielder, he was excellent for Martinez at Wigan. Cleverly will never shine the way Lambert plays football, waste of time signing him to be honest because our style of play is f***ing dreadful

• Like 1

We've completely lost the plot if we pay £8M for Cleverly, wouldn't be worth it with three years left let alone 6 months.

Guess we'll be looking for £10-£15M a piece for Vlaar and Delph if we value Cleverly at that.

Unless we plan to swap Vlaar for him!!
If Cleverley's wage demands aren't ridiculous, then I'd go for that in January, as Vlaar will only be worth 2 or 3 million, with 6 months to run on his contract.

I actually think Cleverly is a decent midfielder, he was excellent for Martinez at Wigan. Cleverly will never shine the way Lambert plays football, waste of time signing him to be honest because our style of play is f***ing dreadful

I think he's a good player too, but he's not what we need, that's the problem.

I think if the fee was less or we had more money in general or we didn't already have a very similar player in Westwood then it would be a much more welcome signing.

The problem is, we desperately need a midfielder with more attacking impetus than both Cleverley and Westwood. And given that our transfer budget appears to be very low, splashing £8m, whether he's worth it or not, on Cleverley is not the best way to be spending that budget.

If Westwood wasn't at the club, or we had a £50m transfer kitty (or both) then I'd be behind the signing, although I'd recognise that £8m is a bit steep.

But in a way, it's similar to if we signed someone like Mignolet for £8m. Fine, he's a good keeper, but why would we spend our budget to fill such a low priority position?

He can probably follow Moyes to Real Sociedad; Think he also stated something about Spanish football in the past so maybe he should go there should Moyes do OK.

I certainly wouldn't want him as part of any Vlaar deal imo. I still don't want the club to sign him on a permanent deal as I don't see him as a solution to anything.

Â