Aly Cissokho

samjp26

It wasn't just the crossing either. For the first goal he let Jagielka get in front of him 3 yards from goal. For the third he was asleep and nobody was tracking Coleman. I like the lad, but he's really gone off the boil in the last five games. 

• Like 3

It wasn't just the crossing either. For the first goal he let Jagielka get in front of him 3 yards from goal. For the third he was asleep and nobody was tracking Coleman. I like the lad, but he's really gone off the boil in the last five games. 

Yep it was truly awful marking, he didn't have a clue as to what was going on around him.

His crossing was poor, so much so that in the end he didn't dare cross directly from a pass, instead opting for taking a hold of the ball and then crossing. Another sign of a player low on confidence, I think.

Lack of confidence seems to be a recurring theme with our players.

• Like 1

For £2m he is a good signing.Plenty of pace, aggressie, he was poor yday, there seemed to be a general lack of concentration, but overall i think he has been good.

The crossing, and choice of final pass, is a bug bear of mine.Poor choices and poor quality, it has to come from the manager, and coaching.We have enough good players to expect better quality in the final 1/3rd.

5 games that have been against the best teams in the league last season and one in which we kept a clean sheet at Anfield :o

For £2m he isn't going to be good in every game, I guess we just have to accept that. However, the whole team had a bad day pretty much so it seems (I didn't see the game), so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt being as he has played really well for us so far.

I was pretty critical of (and disappointed in) Bertrand last season despite welcoming his arrival. After watching his performances this season for Southampton though, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it had little to do with him as a player and everything to do with the coaching and tactics of the manager.

I haven't seen a lot of Southampton bar the highlights. What are the tactics making Bertrand flourish there compared to here? Better cover for him so he can get forward more, more space opening up infront of him with Saints midfield set up, better coaching of game understanding on the training ground from Koeman? (a very good defender in his day).

He is an energetic, offensive full-back and Southampton's play allows him to have the balance in his game that he lacked with us whereby our full-backs spend most of the time camped in our half. Most importantly though, Southampton have a solid defensive organisation, which comes from the training ground as you say. They also have a stronger midfield protecting the defense too I should add.

Whereas Paul Lambert is a poor defensive coach and therefore we did not have such organisation. Vlaar did his best to single-handedly organise it but he could only do so much. Without the structure coming from the coaching sessions, it will always lead to situations where it falls apart and this will affect all the defenders involved.

It is worth stating that this can't be used as a overriding excuse for some of the individual defensive performances last season, especially those of Baker and Lowton. However with Bertrand, his bad performances all came when the defensive had a terrible game as a whole rather then him being the definitive weak-link.

So upon reflection, I was certainly overly harsh on him.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

He has got players that use the ball.

I think it was the Southampton 0-0 game I saw him get visably frustrated. We would win a free kick and put the ball down to get play going, and keep the ball moving and everyone was just standing around expecting the ball to be pumped into the box. He would play a one-two, go by his man and just be ignored.

I am not saying he was Gareth Bale or anything but Bertrand was one of the few players who tried to play football last season, he was like a fish out of water.

I was pretty critical of (and disappointed in) Bertrand last season despite welcoming his arrival. After watching his performances this season for Southampton though, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it had little to do with him as a player and everything to do with the coaching and tactics of the manager.

I haven't seen a lot of Southampton bar the highlights. What are the tactics making Bertrand flourish there compared to here? Better cover for him so he can get forward more, more space opening up infront of him with Saints midfield set up, better coaching of game understanding on the training ground from Koeman? (a very good defender in his day).

Drooling at the memorie of that great Dutch side from the late eighties .

Drooling at the memorie of that great Dutch side from the late eighties .

with their McLeish like tactics

That is very interesting. Food for thought.

That is very interesting. Food for thought.

Early days yet - Bertrand looked ace for us at the beginning too, so surely it's better to wait and see rather than compare the best bits of his time there to the worst bits of his time here.

Or he's actually in a better team with better players. Doesn't surprise me Isa comes out with this coaching, lets not forget Koeman has spent more in one window than Lambert has spent in his whole tenure at Villa. We buy Westwood for 1.5million, they buy Wanyama for 12.5million. People will say well they sold players, but they had a good business model for a manager to work with to create funds, unfortunately we don't.

Well I can see that the fact that Lambert has had to work on a budget absolves him of all blame for (in addition to most other things) his inability to coach elementary defensive organisation in his teams.

Go figure!

Southampton also lost Lallana, Shaw, Lovren, Osvaldo, Ramirez and Lambert so Koeman had to rebuild their squad...

He's done a fantastic job so far at Southampton.

Lambert has still not been able to get his team to do even the basics right depite being in his 3rd season here

Edited by sne

Â