Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

22 hours ago, chappy said:

I was up in Edinburgh this week. Called in at Ochilview Park in Stenhousemuir on the way back as my dad has followed them as his Scottish side since the 60s and as such, I’ve always looked out for the results too. Ended up chatting to the groundsman and he let me in to have a look in the home dressing room and take more photos of the ground! Chatted to the kit man and the general manager too, all staff very friendly and genuinely delighted to hear about random people from miles away following them! Will have to go back up for a game at some point - shame I couldn’t stay for Cowdenbeath at home today, but had to get back to be at VP.

Stenny are a great little club and are at the heart of the community in the town. They have a community foundation and gave great support especially during the recent lockdowns due to covid. Apart from delivering meals etc to the vulnerable in the area they also had their own helpline manned 24 hours a day for those who needed someone to talk to in dark times. Volunteers, players , management and staff all get involved.

Its nice in these days of obscene money in football  to go back to small community based football clubs who are approachable and everyone gets involved. The only thing wrong with the club is the colour of their shirts. 😀

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

@newhavenhibby How good is Matt Macey? Pulled off some great saves today, looks like another Arsenal slip up with letting good backup keepers go. Has impressed me any time I've seen him but looked top class today (so has Craig Gordon to be fair).

Aye, both Macey and Gordon played well today although I feel Gordon is the better all round keeper.

Macey is improving, the more game time he gets, something he didn't get at Arsenal ...........including his loans. in the seven years on Arsenals books he only played around 50 games in total. ( mostly in one season at Plymouth)

His distribution with the ball at his feet still needs work and sometimes positioning on crosses is suspect. I'm sure the coaches are working on this and as I said there is nothing like being involved in games. 

We were concerned when Marciano went to Feyenoord but Macey is growing in confidence and doing well.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

Aye, they are certainly making their ground a fortress.......no pundits that might have a connection with the other arse cheek, no away fans allowed in for the foreseeable future this season and as expected their fans had the full bigot songbook out last night . Good job the authorities at Chelsea FC aren't up here as they are only trying to catch one bigot for having a go at John McGinn whereas up here they would be after at least half of the Ibrox crowd.  Mind you I cannot remember how many times I have been called by their fans a Fenian b***ard and I am Welsh and christened as such 🤣 

The media and papers up here lap it all up and pander to it and we will always get the usual club statements that they are working hard to eradicate all of the sectarianism etc  😂  Orange Order marches tomorrow but they do have to be silent when passing Catholic churches 🤣🤣🤣

Well done Lyon👍...............................and Real Betis.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had a weekend in Glasgow last week and went to see Celtic St Johnstone as a  football tourist.  No i didn't buy a half and half scarf.  Celtic Park is a great stadium. I would put the standard as about lower table Champonship level. It was very much attack v defence as I cannot remember Joe Hart making a single save all match. Was a regulation 2 nil win and you could tell most of the fans are bored with this and loads left before the game.

I think they live for the old firm and european games, the rest of the matches are fairly low key. The game certainly wasn't  a sell out and I managed to get my ticket with no problems at all.  The gap between rangers and celtic and the rest of the teams is huge even teams like Hearts or Hibs are fairly small. They are trapped in a small league and I can't see the premier league inviting them anytime soon which makes the money gap getting bigger each year. It is fairly mad that Scotland have over 40 league clubs (though some are part time) in a population of about 5 million. It would be the equivalent of England having about 400 league clubs.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Celtic and Rangers being so far ahead of every other Scottish team in players money and supporters certainly does nothing to help the game.

I was suprised to hear that Celtic Park is lower Championship level.Mind you I have watched SPL highlites and noticed that a lot of the SPL grounds would not qualify in League 1/2,so,not really a soprise.As for European football.They qualify every year but they never do very well,so the Celtic/Rangers supporters would be watching their team lose in europe on a yearly basis.

• Like 1

We don't care where they go................just go🤣

True comment about there being too many clubs and the point is muted every year...................however the powers that be, stick with the status quo.

I presume you meant the football was lower half Championship level and not the Stadium.🙂 All teams play Celtic and Rangers by sitting in as with the relative quality of players there is nothing else you can do. However, we tried it last night but were still 3 down in 30 minutes🤣. We then had a go, played some good stuff and put them under pressure and Joe Hart had to make 2 great saves. Perhaps had Ross had a bit more belief we could have made a better fist of it from the start but thats Jack Ross for you and his great Plan A.🤔

They do struggle in Europe as there they face the same problem as the rest of the Clubs do against them in the SPL.....................lack of quality etc that comes from the gravy train of bucket loads of cash. In the SPL they are a big fish in a small pond but move to Europe and they are a minnow.

Edited by newhavenhibby

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Celtic and Rangers being so far ahead of every other Scottish team in players money and supporters certainly does nothing to help the game.

I was suprised to hear that Celtic Park is lower Championship level.Mind you I have watched SPL highlites and noticed that a lot of the SPL grounds would not qualify in League 1/2,so,not really a soprise.As for European football.They qualify every year but they never do very well,so the Celtic/Rangers supporters would be watching their team lose in europe on a yearly basis.

No I meant the quality of the football. Its a good ground. I expect for a big european night it would be rocking.

Edited by The Fun Factory

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the inbred bigots online towards Gerrard move is as bad as the mates across the city when Rodgers went to Leicester. 

Proper clowns though my personal favourite is that Villa is somehow the English Celtic 😂😂

• Haha 1

On 13/11/2021 at 13:23, Zatman said:

Some of the inbred bigots online towards Gerrard move is as bad as the mates across the city when Rodgers went to Leicester. 

Proper clowns though my personal favourite is that Villa is somehow the English Celtic 😂😂

Yeah I've been reading some awful stuff from them on various social media sites, I shouldn't read it but sometimes you just can't help it.

Saying things like Villa are s***, tinpot, small club and Rangers are one of the world's biggest....it's funny the only people who say they are a big club are their own fans.

As I live in Aberdeen, Rangers are the most despised team in the World up here and after reading some of the comments from them I don't care much for them either. Never really gave them much of a thought before as I don't watch the SPL.

• Like 2

Â