Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can remember when that Romanov guy took over Hearts and they were top of league with about 8 straight wins and signing some decent players. Then he sacked George Burley for looking at him strangely or something and they soon fell down the league...his approach reminded me of how Cellino did things at Leeds.

That was probably the last time an outsider could've at least challenged for the league but as far away as ever now.

I remember this well.

Living in Aberdeen the locals desperately wanted Hearts to fail as they could not stand to see anyone other than them break the dominance.

So bitter it was unbelievable, most people would have been delighted to see another team split them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Looking at Rangers celebrations and fans etc. How satisfying can winning that league really be? It's a hollow achievement. Nobody cares.

I’d imagine pretty damn satisfying to stop your arch rivals being able to claim 10 in a row...

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can remember when that Romanov guy took over Hearts and they were top of league with about 8 straight wins and signing some decent players. Then he sacked George Burley for looking at him strangely or something and they soon fell down the league...his approach reminded me of how Cellino did things at Leeds.

That was probably the last time an outsider could've at least challenged for the league but as far away as ever now.

Burley was doing a great job till Romanov replaced him with his own son I think and then it was downhill financially for mad vlad from there........eventually the authorities caught on!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Surprises me how many people care

Rangers seemingly have a decent following from villa fans 

Aren't the lions in our respective badges the same? And aren't Villa Park and Ibrox connected in some way?  Same architect or something?

They are obviously massive off the pitch with their stadium and fan base etc but for the first time in possibly 20 years they are a decent side on it too, by which I mean they are competitive in Europe over and above just being far better than everyone else in Scotland, and most of their starting XI would get into Premier League sides.

Well done to them, cheerio ten in a row!

Edited by wedge
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

Once is understandable. 

Trouble is yesterday was the third "celebration" and gathering as they have  congregated at Livingston last week, Ibrox on Saturday and Ibrox and Glasgow city centre yesterday. With the Celtic game at the weekend, I expect they will be there also........mind you the Green Brigade may have something to say there!  At one of the last games they will be presented with the trophy so expect them back then.

Sevco who are usually very good at issuing statements have said nothing apart from it is to be expected and Gerrard and his players have been encouraging the party firstly after the game on Saturday and then at and outside the training ground yesterday.

Police officers attacked, fighting amongst themselves and smashing all the memorial benches in George Square just a few of their "expected" antics along with, I expect, singing about, up to their knees in Fenian blood. Scottish footballs shame.

As one Motherwell fan has just said..........it is good to see a club other than Celtic or Glasgow Rangers win the League  🤣

ah i wasn't aware that there have been other gatherings previously. in which case i think they're all tw*ts

1 hour ago, wedge said:

Aren't the lions in our respective badges the same? And aren't Villa Park and Ibrox connected in some way?  Same architect or something?

They are obviously massive off the pitch with their stadium and fan base etc but for the first time in possibly 20 years they are a decent side on it too, by which I mean they are competitive in Europe over and above just being far better than everyone else in Scotland, and most of their starting XI would get into Premier League sides.

Aye, amazing where debt gets you.

Hopefully they have enough left to help pay for all the memorial benches wrecked last night in George Square.

Both stadia were designed by Archibald Leitch , hence there similarity. He deigned over 20 main stadia in the UK.

Edited by newhavenhibby

1 hour ago, wedge said:

Yes they are similar.

However Villa began to use the Scottish Lion and the motto 'Prepared' from our inception (circa 1874) it became more prominent when McGregor joined the club due to his Scottish roots. Allegedly he felt an affinity with Birmingham as there was a large Scottish community in the area.

Rangers began to use the Lion around 1959, they also seemed to 'steal' the idea of 'Prepared' but changed it to 'Ready'.

1 hour ago, wedge said:

You are correct mate.

Our lion and the Rangers lion are very similar, as too was our motto 'Prepared' with Rangers being 'Ready'.

William McGregors wife, Jessie, was a Hearts fan and he himself a Rangers fan - our colours come from these two teams, the Claret of Hearts and the Blue of Rangers.

Our stadiums similarity come from both being designed by the same scottish architect, Archibald Leitch.

• Like 2

Anybody on here also at Villa Park in 1976 when the Glasgow Rangers game had to be abandoned after some of the worst violence seen at Villa Park.........................and in the 70s that is saying something. I remember going to the Den in that era and that seemed like a cake walk😉

Edited by newhavenhibby

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Eddie Howe in talks in for the Celtic job, I wasn't expecting that.It would certainly be a big culture shift from Bournemourh.

Liverpool wont be happy with that, no way Celtic will give him the money that Bournemouth did to buy there shit players

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Eddie Howe in talks in for the Celtic job, I wasn't expecting that.It would certainly be a big culture shift from Bournemourh.

I thought Burnley was too north for him!?

Haven't been on the Smeltic forums to see what they think, but as said, it will be a huge cultural shock. He has spent his entire playing and managerial career at Bournemouth apart from a couple of games for Pompey. Has to consider family life as he cannot commute to Glasgow.

He will also get no time to settle in as the green faithful will want the side to hit the ground running and he will have to match or better Sevco right from the first game. Pressure on him from the word go will be huge.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Great appointment. Do they have a DOF? Hope so.

For the love of God don't give him the chequebook.

If Howe goes there then Desmond wants Richard Hughes from Bournemouth as Director of football.

2 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

If Howe goes there then Desmond wants Richard Hughes from Bournemouth as Director of football.

Can see high bids for that Neco Williams, the Greek left back and Origi. Bournemouth style deals

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Another good win for Rangers against the Hobo's today to stay undefeated this season and also maintain 100% record at Ibrox.

Pity a perfectly good goal by Ryan Porteous was chalked off ..........for nothing in particular........otherwise the dynamic of the game could have changed . Where's VAR 🤣

Anyway we have come to expect poor ref decisions at Ibrox ( as do all clubs) .........the kick by Hagi to Newells head in the last game by the penalty spot with nothing given is still the best. Mind you the retrospective red card for Morelos for stamping Porteous at Easter Road didn't help us, as he scored the winner later in the game, comes a close second.

Gerrard certainly knows how to keep the refs in check. 🤣

Certainly sevco are the best team in the League but don't get me starte................................😬

GGTTH

Edited by newhavenhibby

Â