Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Rangers putting Dortmund to the sword. 

1-4 to Scottish champions. Incredible. Many saying Rangers would struggle in the English Championship but just can’t see Preston North End dominating Dortmund in Germany. 

Great result for the Gers.

They certainly raised their game today as they have shown one or two signs of a dip in form in recent weeks giving a last minute to equaliser to Ross County and losing to Celtic. 

Well done Rangers...............and you won't hear me say that too often.🤣

Edited by newhavenhibby

On 05/02/2022 at 23:17, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

@newhavenhibby Shaun Maloney looking like a bit of a disastrous appointment?

Bit of a gamble to be honest with no previous experience of being in the hot seat.

Trying to get us playing like Belgium ( where he was assistant) ............without the players with the talent. At present we are playing out from the back all the time and haven't the skill to escape the high press that teams are now putting on us. We have been caught umpteen times just outside our box leading to goals against and a load of near misses and lucky escapes. 

He was unfortunate that just after he arrived the Board sold our best attacking player, Martin Boyle, to a team in Saudi and now we have a distinct lack of pace up front.

Time will tell

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well done to our "arab" friends from the Red Lion in Dundee last night for winning against the Eridivisie side AZ Alkmaar in a European qualifier. 

Good to see an old patron of ours, Glen, score a cracking goal.  The bar manager, Jack Ross, seems to have put together a very good team with some old regulars keeping things calm for the young crew.

Think they may find it tough in Holland next week but good luck to them.

Think their next home game might be against the Dog and Duck so am expecting to see their astute bar manager Martindale change tactics from last weekend when of course they had to play a professional side , The Rangers. In these games the only chance us pub sides have is to park the bus for a vast amount of the 90 minutes and try to stifle and slow the game down. This is especially so when you take an early lead as the Dog and Duck did with a great finish from the hulk that is Nouble and so does not lead to a game that is very exciting to watch.  Martindale will play it differently against the Red Lion and gets the most out the limited players at his disposal although he did struggle last year with a young player brought in from Villa down South.....Caleb something ? 🙂

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

On 03/08/2022 at 13:44, rodders0223 said:

Was desperate for some footie action so watched Rangers play the Dog and Duck at the weekend in the SPL.

I'd have been better off watching walking football down the YMCA.

Motherwell were embarrassed last week by Sligo who then got hammered last night by Viking 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Motherwell were embarrassed last week by Sligo who then got hammered last night by Viking 

Certainly is  a "funny old game".

Motherwell go into the Sligo game with a manager who did really well for them last season . they lose, get rid of the manager and then go and win their first SPL game last weekend managerless. 🤔

The main problem for sides who play in these first qualifiers is that as they come so early in our season most of the teams up here have not had any real pre season and limited friendlies. I know it is the same for both sides but it ends up being a bit of a lottery as to which team gels best on the night. I watched the Sligo games and they played really well and good luck to them although Motherwell missed some glorious chances.

However you also have to take into consideration that Vikings season is different and they have been playing competitive football for months ( since April?) including such ties in Europe as Sparta Prague, so are very much up to speed so it was always going to be a tough ask for Sligo.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

Well as I predicted last week, the Red Lion Dundee  found it a lot tougher in Holland last night.........although I didn't quite expect the scoreline!  They were doing OK for 25 minutes and had a great chance to draw level on the night with the scissor kick brilliantly saved by the AK keeper. After that once the third goal went in, you could see any belief go and the confidence of the dutch team rise. The big Australian keeper unfortunately was culpable for at least two of the goals .....especially the killer third 😶

Will have to get themselves back up as they are away at McCraes Bar in Gorgie on Sunday where their field at Tynecastle is always an intimidating place to play. 

Funnily enough I am there tonight to see the fringe play about the 16th Royal Scots, McCraes battalion , in the First World War and especially The Somme. 

Anybody who likes a good historical football story, google "McCraes battalion" .........both inspiring but also sad and one has to admire the bravery of especially all the Heart of Midlothian players ( along with all the other clubs who had their players there, especially Kilmarnock, Dunfermline and Raith Rovers.)

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to The Rangers at reaching the Champions League group stages. Even more remarkable that they can keep their standards up whilst playing pub league sides for most of the season.

We will see the gap now grow between the big 2 Glasgow clubs and the rest of the league once the Euro gravy train money comes to them. Better players will be attracted to both of them although this present side has overcome the likes of Dortmund, Leipzig and PSV Eindhoven in the last few months.  They will obviously now meet more serious opposition but I know from experience there is not a side in the competition who will relish the thought of an evening Euro game under floodlights at a "bouncing" Ibrox............something to behold.

Good luck to our pub neighbours, The McCrae Bar, tonight in their Europa League second leg  against Zurich. I think with a rocking Tynecastle they will prevail and again will be into the Group stages of that competition. Tynecastle when it's packed is another very intimidating ground mainly due to the close proximity of the stands and fans to the pitch. Not sure Zurich will cope. It's a little like West Hams old Boleyn ground.

Anyway good luck to all sides in Europe from us all at "The Persevere" here in Leith.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

Absolutely over the moon with the result. Didn't fancy Rangers to go through but should've known better, special things have happened time & time again to this team in Europe past couple of years.

Also it didn't sit well with me, Celtic gaining automatic qualification to group stage largely due to how well Rangers have done (Scottish co efficient). Celtics recent record in Europe has been poor to put it mildly.

With the teams experience of playing regularly & doing well in Europe & a bit of luck in the draw, reckon they could push for 2nd in the group, would be disappointed if they at least don't finish 3rd & get a Europa League place.

51 minutes ago, Gaz Mac said:

Absolutely over the moon with the result. Didn't fancy Rangers to go through but should've known better, special things have happened time & time again to this team in Europe past couple of years.

Also it didn't sit well with me, Celtic gaining automatic qualification to group stage largely due to how well Rangers have done (Scottish co efficient). Celtics recent record in Europe has been poor to put it mildly.

With the teams experience of playing regularly & doing well in Europe & a bit of luck in the draw, reckon they could push for 2nd in the group, would be disappointed if they at least don't finish 3rd & get a Europa League place.

Aye, wouldn't believe it was basically the same side that played us last weekend. 😉

Is it correct that Celtic will get more money than Rangers due to past level of performance, ground capacity etc?  Seems unfair when they are both competing at the same level in the tournament............especially as I say,  I'd rather go to Celtic Park as an opponent than Ibrox. 

Edited by newhavenhibby

Ah a Hibs fan, only spotting that now, I'll let you off seeing we're both Villa fans 😉

Still have nightmares about the game i was at, when fellow countryman Ivan Sproule scored a hat-trick for Hibernian at Ibrox 😱

Yeah read reports of imbalance of money going to Old Firm, Celtic getting more because of 10,000 more capacity, baffling but just glad to be back in it.

Nice compliment about Ibrox, still prefer the Jambos over Hibs though 😉😁

Roll on Champions League draw 👍

1 hour ago, Gaz Mac said:

Ah a Hibs fan, only spotting that now, I'll let you off seeing we're both Villa fans 😉

Still have nightmares about the game i was at, when fellow countryman Ivan Sproule scored a hat-trick for Hibernian at Ibrox 😱

Yeah read reports of imbalance of money going to Old Firm, Celtic getting more because of 10,000 more capacity, baffling but just glad to be back in it.

Nice compliment about Ibrox, still prefer the Jambos over Hibs though 😉😁

Roll on Champions League draw 👍

Napoli, Ajax and Liverpool................love to be at Ibrox for the Liverpool game...........any spare tickets 🤣

Been to Ajax a few times........great atmosphere.......mainly drugs 😉 and watch out for the beer shower when they score🙂

Good luck........and try to keep 11 men on the park🤣

Edited by newhavenhibby

Â