Joe Cole

TrentVilla

Great news, if it was 2004. Guess that pun has been used up already in this thread.

He is old and brings a lot of experience, which is great - but his talent is gone and he is injured all the time. The worst thing is probably that he will the signing for this position this summer, and he will with 95% certainty sit on the bench or occupy the treatment table.

Besides, two year contract for Joe Cole? Haven't we looked at prior mistakes? Robert Pires all over again... Who's next then? Morten Gamst Pedersen ane John Arne Riise?

• Like 1

I see what you mean, but for me he was in danger of becoming a luxury player, who only turned it on in patches.

Jose may have taken some of the flair away, but he scored more goals, got more assists , played more games and became an integral part of that side under his management. I think it also helped his international career.

Had he not adapted to jose's style, I think he would have ended up being like Taarabt - amazingly talented and showed it. Once every 10-15 games.

Enigmatic number 10's are wonderful to watch on their day, but I'm not convinced we are strong enough, or cole has enough left in the tank to build a side around him. Which is what I think you have to do to get the best form a player like him in that role.

Could be a useful squad player though if he can stay fit.

I really think we need to lose the 'luxury player' tag in this country for players who show a bit of craft.

England should have built a team around Le tissier. They should have done the same with Hoddle, Scholes and Cole. But no, we prefer to give caps to Batty and Carlton Palmer. Maybe you couldn't win a WC with those 'luxury' players but you sure as hell can't without them. The only time we've come close since '66 is when we built a team around pre-injury Gazza.

We'll probably get raped again in Brazil and then the usual inquests will abound about how crap our coaching is.... technique... blah, blah. 

Then when we finally find someone we want to coach the skill out of him. I honestly wonder what would have happened to the diminutive Messi if he'd been English. Too small and lightweight for the PL i'd suspect or didn't track back enough.

I look forward to seeing Joe play. I always rated him and he nearly always made a difference when he was on the pitch (as far as I could see). It might be a little late in the day for him but this has at least brightened up my day after a shocking season of tripe.

• Like 4

Don't know what to think about this signing. On the one hand he's a big name and was a fantastic player but on the other is he still someone who can offer something at this level?

Slightly concerned why west ham had no interest in signing him but hoping he still has some magic left. With benteke injured he will be one of the few players that's actually exciting to watch.

I guess with Lerner trying to sell the club this is the level we're at and Joe Cole is probably top of that level.

I would also imagine this means a takeover is not happening. I'd be surprised if Cole turned down other opportunities to join a club where he might not be needed or wanted at the start of the season.

Good luck to him and let's see if he can make a difference.

Whether you rate him or not, he certainly would not have been short of offers (and could easily have waited for further offers), so there is definitely something that's drawn him to the club and made him sign now, rather than drawing it out over the summer. Not sure what that is, but it gives me a bit of encouragement.

Its the manager, he alludes to it in the article some won't want to hear it but it seems to be the case.

Just as it was Lambert who talked Benteke into staying, I'm not saying he is faultless but he isn't the mumbling fool some would have people believe.

Mind you, it's fairly standard for players to say they are looking forward to working with the manager once they've signed for a club.

You would, wouldn't you? ;)

Cole appears to be very enthusiastic though which i find encouraging. He genuinely appears to be chuffed he's joined us.

Would have much more exciting if we was chuffed he was signing rather than him being chuffed he's signed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We will just have wait and see.

We have gone way past the point of ungrateful, we are now in serious beggars can't be choosers territory by the looks of things

• Like 1

Would have much more exciting if we was chuffed he was signing rather than him being chuffed he's signed.

Speak for yourself. I wouldn't go that far but there are definitely people who are pleased with this signing, especially under the current circumstances.

On talksport says he could of earnt more money elsewhere but want's to play at the top level.

Asked about Roy Keane skirted the issue as best he could ,said he didn't know clubs stance but seemed to confirm Keane will join.

After having time to think about it and get over the initial disappointment of truly understanding the position Villa are in with our second signing being free and signing him 10 years further on than when we would've liked, I'm going to think positively with absolute no foundation. I need to think on the brighter side as Villa at the moment is taking us to a low at the moment.

So on a positive side hopefully he will be our new Merson or Carbone, that he does still have some ability to play at this level, that he's fortunate with injuries going forwards, he fits well with our team and that he didn't play well or often at West Ham because of Sam's tactics......welcome Joe, your skills are what we need.

• Like 1

Speak for yourself. I wouldn't go that far but there are definitely people who are pleased with this signing, especially under the current circumstances.

That's what I was alluding too.....this is now where we are.

I see what you mean, but for me he was in danger of becoming a luxury player, who only turned it on in patches.

Jose may have taken some of the flair away, but he scored more goals, got more assists , played more games and became an integral part of that side under his management. I think it also helped his international career.

Had he not adapted to jose's style, I think he would have ended up being like Taarabt - amazingly talented and showed it. Once every 10-15 games.

Enigmatic number 10's are wonderful to watch on their day, but I'm not convinced we are strong enough, or cole has enough left in the tank to build a side around him. Which is what I think you have to do to get the best form a player like him in that role.

Could be a useful squad player though if he can stay fit.

I really think we need to lose the 'luxury player' tag in this country for players who show a bit of craft.

England should have built a team around Le tissier. They should have done the same with Hoddle, Scholes and Cole. But no, we prefer to give caps to Batty and Carlton Palmer. Maybe you couldn't win a WC with those 'luxury' players but you sure as hell can't without them. The only time we've come close since '66 is when we built a team around pre-injury Gazza.

We'll probably get raped again in Brazil and then the usual inquests will abound about how crap our coaching is.... technique... blah, blah. 

Then when we finally find someone we want to coach the skill out of him. I honestly wonder what would have happened to the diminutive Messi if he'd been English. Too small and lightweight for the PL i'd suspect or didn't track back enough.

I look forward to seeing Joe play. I always rated him and he nearly always made a difference when he was on the pitch (as far as I could see). It might be a little late in the day for him but this has at least brightened up my day after a shocking season of tripe.

I don't think it was a case of coaching the skill out of Joe, more adding a bit of discipline and tactical awareness to his game. It made him more effective over all, with a few less tricks and flicks. Goals and assists are the key and he got more when he added a bit of graft to his guile.

I totally agree with your points on technique etc and slightly off topic, but I do think we are move in the right direction in that sense. Look at the generation of players in there now - Wiltshire, Barkley, Chamberlain, Sterling, Shaw, Lallana and Sturridge. All great technically, all capable of doing things that are a little bit special.

I really want Cole to succeed, I wouldn't put him in the same class as the others you mention (le Tiss etc), but he was/is a quality player. I'm just not sure he's capable of delivering consistently in that role, in an average team that's been flirting with relegation for 3 or 4 years.

I don't think it was a case of coaching the skill out of Joe, more adding a bit of discipline and tactical awareness to his game. It made him more effective over all, with a few less tricks and flicks. Goals and assists are the key and he got more when he added a bit of graft to his guile.

I totally agree with your points on technique etc and slightly off topic, but I do think we are move in the right direction in that sense. Look at the generation of players in there now - Wiltshire, Barkley, Chamberlain, Sterling, Shaw, Lallana and Sturridge. All great technically, all capable of doing things that are a little bit special.

I really want Cole to succeed, I wouldn't put him in the same class as the others you mention (le Tiss etc), but he was/is a quality player. I'm just not sure he's capable of delivering consistently in that role, in an average team that's been flirting with relegation for 3 or 4 years.

Fair enough, though I think that He could do well at home. We need players who won't hide from the ball - to 'treat it as your friend'. He fits that bill.

Fair enough, though I think that He could do well at home. We need players who won't hide from the ball - to 'treat it as your friend'. He fits that bill.

He is more of a home bird....you could have a point there.

He is more suited to be played when we are at home trying to break teams down away from home we could be more suited with a different midfielder as we would be more counter attacking I think a decent signing with no money that we have

Re his second West Ham  stint - I seem to recall he was often played out wide, which is no longer his strongest position and missed out of the No.10 role to Nolan - who is Fat Sam's Golden Boy.

Also with Sam opting for hoofball as their main tactic, Cole and the other wingers/attacking midfielders were often bypassed by a Collins hoof to the striker.

If JC can stay fit, he will certainly add to our play - last season, the opposition knew how to defend against us - stay back and crowd the box - as we had no one who could dink a crucial pass to an attacker. Theorhetically, we now have such a player and he potentially could provide passes and play to allow for shots on goal.

Â