Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

dont think you can underestimate the situation on thursday, on paper and based on saturdays games then we should beat them, especially seeing as i dont think suarez will be fit enough to play, and even if he does he wont be right, but both teams will feel the nerves, its them or us, cup final in the second game... even huge name experienced players can bottle games like thursday

what was the sitter? the one where he tried to hit the near post and dragged it just wide? IMO he should have scored after doing the hard bit but i wouldnt call it a sitter, not sure how many players would even try that to be honest, not exactly an easy skill to sell the defender and the keeper like that, and the keeper was completely down the river

He dragged it quite a bit wide I think... A player on 300k a week should score that....

Hang on, find me a single England fan getting carried away?

exactly!

People are saying "oh you're getting caught up in the hype?"

Saying we might scrape out of the group isn't getting carried away!

"if both teams play like they did on saturday night then we'll beat uruguay and probably get out of the group"

is that being classed as getting carried away?  :unsure:

although that said it is a bit harder to avoid the "we have to start barkley because he's world class" comments

It's a myth that people think Uruguay have 11 world class players...they don't. They're a small country with a limited pool hence the problem of their regular RB being suspended now. It's a bit like say Poland qualifying for the world cup and everyone going on about the Dortmund players whereas in reality the other 8 bring down the quality significantly.

Their keeper is decent, Godin is excellent, I don't think their midfield is that great and Forlan is past it now while Cavani relies much more on service than Suarez. 

In South Africa Forlan was exceptional, arguably the best player at the tournament and Suarez chipped in with goals. Likes of Lugano and Diego Perez were also younger but this tournament they are showing their age and Uruguay don't have the depth to replace them.

They're just to me an example of a nation that massively overachieved 4 years ago and are returning to their natural level now. If you actually watch them they're worse than passing the ball than England, usually just get the ball forward quickly into the corners for Suzrez and Cavani to run onto and do their stuff. Be warned though they love being underdogs in games and often get results but I'd be surprised if England lose to them on Thursday.                                                                                                                                                                  

I fancy us against Uruguay, regardless of whether Suarez plays or not. Their CM's aren't really any good on the ball so they don't keep possession that combined with their defence being shaky at best means they're reliant on Cavani and Suarez. If we play like we did I think we'll win by a couple of goals. Suarez/Cavani have the potential to beat us by themselves on their day, though.

Uruguay best players at moment are probably Godin, Suarez(nowhere near match fit) and Maxi Pereira(suspended) while Diego Perez, Lugano and Forlan were great for them but past it. Ass for Cavani I don't see it a flashier Darren Bent. He was toxic vs Chelsea in Champions League and penalty aside he wasn't much better vs Costa Rica

Would Italy have focused down the right if Ashley Cole was playing?

Yes because it wasn't the fact that Baines had a stinker, it's because the left side of midfield didn't track back (that includes Rooney as LW, Henderson and Gerrard as CDMs), thus it was always 2 vs 1.

You could have had Maldini in his peak playing LB, but if there's 2 v 1, it's impossible.

The left side of midfield cost us the game, not Baines.

sry.

• Like 1

Suarez has been passed fit apparently...or is this mind games? He did look sharp when I saw footage of him training yesterday...

On Uruguay's style of play I think they'll try to make the match a fight and a battle, they seem to revel in that!

I just hope we don't fall foul of any dirty tactics they might employ; we know what Suarez is like and the British players often get sucked into these kinds of situations.

dont think you can underestimate the situation on thursday, on paper and based on saturdays games then we should beat them, especially seeing as i dont think suarez will be fit enough to play, and even if he does he wont be right, but both teams will feel the nerves, its them or us, cup final in the second game... even huge name experienced players can bottle games like thursday

There is no way Suarez will be properly fit. If he wasn't fit enough to play 10 minutes in a game they really had to win, then he's not going to be fully fit 5 days later.

There is no way Suarez will be properly fit. If he wasn't fit enough to play 10 minutes in a game they really had to win, then he's not going to be fully fit 5 days later.

yeah I agree with this plus don't think he hast played since last day of season so will be rusty as well

England have the 3rd highest pass completion rate of any team in the world cup so far. (Only France and Italy have higher)

In the opposition half, they have the highest.