Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

Assuming we sign Sanchez, this is the team I'd use on Saturday...

Guzan

Hutton - Vlaar - Okore - Cissokho

Sanchez

Westwood - Delph

Weimann                        Nzogiba

Bent

• Like 1

Guzan

Sanchez

Westwood - Delph

Bent

Replace Bent with Benteke when the latter is fit and that isn't a bad team at all.

Guzan

Sanchez

Westwood - Delph

Bent

Goalie, defence and midfield look great imo but it's up front where we need help.  I'd swap N'zogbia for Weimann and then put Richardson in instead of Weimann. Bent relies on wingers to supply him and I reckon N'zogbia and Richardson will be able to put in some good delivery.  Sub Gabby and Weimann in at some stage and we would have a very competitive team on Saturday. 

Guzan

Sanchez

Westwood - Delph

Bent

Goalie, defence and midfield look great imo but it's up front where we need help.  I'd swap N'zogbia for Weimann and then put Richardson in instead of Weimann. Bent relies on wingers to supply him and I reckon N'zogbia and Richardson will be able to put in some good delivery.  Sub Gabby and Weimann in at some stage and we would have a very competitive team on Saturday. 

Bunnski's team is the one I'd play as well if Sanchez and Cissokho are both fit and available. Though I might play Bacuna instead of Hutton. 

EDIT: Oops, missed that it contains Okore as well, should be Senderos IMO. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Who knows? this team can be great on it's day but they are all to rare, the new players add experience so maybe the bad days will not be so often. I'm reasonably happy with the players Lambert has brought in but until Benteke is back I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from.

I don't know I'm looking forward to "going again" but if we are fortunate not to have a stupid amount of injuries then I think we will be okay however it isn't going to be easy on the eye football.

• Like 1

if Sanchez signs maybe we could go with

Guzan

Hutton Okore Vlaar Cissokho

Sanchez

Westwood Delph

Cole

Weimann  Bent

attacking subs in Nzogbia, Gabby, Richardson, Grealish or Bacuna even KEA

its a lot healthier than last season

However I am struggling to think of 3 worse teams than our current squad?

West Brom, Burnley, Leicester, Palace.

QPR, Swansea, Sunderland aren't much better same with a potential civil war at West Ham

Well we seem to be in most pundits predictions for relegation this season? Hopefully thats a bit of good luck? However I am struggling to think of 3 worse teams than our current squad?

That's because most people just tend to look at the last few games. It's why Phil McNulty (who has a massive hard-on for Man United, hence why he has them finishing 3rd) thinks we'll finish 17th but Sunderland, who were absolutely terrible for pretty much the entirety of last season barring those last couple of months, will finish 10th.

Edited by Mantis

Well we seem to be in most pundits predictions for relegation this season? Hopefully thats a bit of good luck? However I am struggling to think of 3 worse teams than our current squad?

Really?

IF Sanchez signs, it looks decent on paper. As soon as we get Kozak then Benteke back at least, that's a decent spine. Defence looks much improved too. It's quite an athletic side, which will stand us in good stead over the long term.

I think we'll be down there again, but I genuinely believe we'll be better. 13th/14th perhaps.

That's because most people just tend to look at the last few games. It's why Phil McNulty (who has a massive hard-on for Man United, hence why he has them finishing 3rd) thinks we'll finish 17th but Sunderland, who were absolutely terrible for pretty much the entirety of last season barring those last couple of months, will finish 10th.

It's not just the pundits - Bloomberg just released a simulation with Opta (running each game 100,000 times) for next season.  More info on how they got their numbers on their site.

Not pretty reading...

Bu6GXoiIQAARPfy.png

It's not just the pundits - Bloomberg just released a simulation with Opta (running each game 100,000 times) for next season.  More info on how they got their numbers on their site.

Not pretty reading...

Bu6GXoiIQAARPfy.png

Yeah, but still only 3 points away from 12th. We finished with 38 points last season. Think we're worth much more than 1 extra point this year.

Yeah, but still only 3 points away from 12th. We finished with 38 points last season. Think we're worth much more than 1 extra point this year.

To be clear: I think we're still a bit crap, but I think we'll get a good 6 points or so more than we did last year. That'd put us comfortably mid-table going by Opta's fancy guess-work. 

With Benteke back, the spine of our team looks more like top 8 than bottom 3. I also think Richardson will be a good player for us, so if Cissokho is decent then the left side should be ok, bit worried about the right side though.

Worth mentioning that out of their 20 predictions, they only got Arsenal (4th) spot on. Some were close (e.g. Man City were predicted to come 2nd, ended up 1st), some were miles off (Stoke predicted to come 17th, ended up 9th). On average, they were about 3 positions out. Not bad, but not amazing either.

Definitely think we're better than they're giving us credit for.

• Like 1

Â