Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

That's not really the profile at the moment though, Paul. Safety, get sold and invested in a bit and then look for that.

People's answers to the question is based upon their personal expectation was all I was trying to say

I think this is a decent side:

- - - - - - - Guzan - - - - - -

Hutton - Okore - Vlaar - Cissokho

- - - - Westwood - Delph - - - -

Gabby - - - N'Zogbia - Richardson

- - - - - - - Bent - - - - - - -

I'd personally prefer Weimann up top, but I know he gives some people the willies, so to speak.

If we can bring in a new midfielder, to swap with Westwood, then I think we potentially have a decent side, able to fight for a Top 10-13 place.

I know people aren't a big fan of Hutton, but I don't think he's ever been as poor as some people make out. He's okay defensively and can sometimes be good going forward, his biggest problem is that he can occasionally be (very) rash in the challenge.

Still, from pre-season form, I would prefer him to play RB over Lowton and Bacuna.

• Like 1

We do have some really good players (Guzan, Vlaar, possibly Okore if he proves to be what we think, Cissokho, Delph, Westwood if he can take control for longer periods in games, and Benteke when he returns). We have a good basis for a team but really need a DM.

One things for sure with the, so far, four new signings and the reintroduction into the squad of Hutton, NZog and Bent then the squad certainly looks a lot stronger than it did last season.

Hutton is an upgrade at RB, Cissokho is an upgrade at left back, Senderos is better than both Baker and Clark, Richardson for me could prove to be the best signing of all as can adequately fill a number of positions, Cole if/when fit gives us the creativity we simply didn't have last season and NZogbia on his day is a match winner.

As things stand I still expect we could well be one of around 8 teams in the relegation mix this season. However without the signings we have made and the reintroduction of players that had been frozen out then I think we'd have been nailed on for relegation.

Of course what we also now need is for the manager to get the best out of the players at his disposal, get them organized and select formations and personnel to ensure we give ourselves the best chance possible of staying up and hopefully having a half decent season.

• Like 2

One physically capable and mentally defensive midfielder and I'll be confident we won't be relegated this season. We supposedly have 8m left to accomplish this and Lambert expects to get at least one more signing so here's hoping he addresses that.

We do have some really good players (Guzan, Vlaar, possibly Okore if he proves to be what we think, Cissokho, Delph, Westwood if he can take control for longer periods in games, and Benteke when he returns). We have a good basis for a team but really need a DM.

As you say, for Westwood to control games more then we need a proper DMF so he can stay pushed up and not have to keep dropping deep. 

Guzan

Hutton    Vlaar      Okore     Cissokho

DMF

Westwood             Delph

N'zogbia

Kozak           Benteke       

That would be a solid 4-4-2 and we would have good options off the bench for all positions.  

I agree wholeheartedly with the DSM or the "insurance man" as Ron Atkinson so aptly describes them.

This player for me is the catalyst of the whole team, it all revolves around this guy....they stop the opposition running at our back four.

I hope we sign one and a decent one would be even better.....then you would see a significant improvement in the defensive performances.

• Like 1

My first choice XI would be

Guzan

Hutton Vlaar Okore Cissokho

Westwood Delph

Cole

Gabby Benteke Richardson

I think we are getting there slowly but surely, although we do need another 1-2 players

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

--------------------------------Guzan----------------------------------

Hutton--------Vlaar----------------Okore-----------Cissohko

------------------Delph------------NEW DM----------------------

Nzogbia--------------------------------------------------Grealish

--------------------------------Cole-----------------------------------

------------------------------Benteke---------------------------------

• Like 1

A tough tackling defensive midfielder would certainly make me more optimistic about our chances this season. Last season, Westwood had to come very deep to receive the ball off the two centre backs, playing as a poor man's Xabi Alonso. I think with Vlaar and Okore being so comfortable on the ball, this doesn't need to happen, so I'd like to see Westwood pushed further up.  

I think the keeper & the back 4 are pretty much the same for everyone. The only point that I would add is Okore probably won't start in the short term, so next week, I would expect Senderos to start there. Delph & Westwood are both also pretty nailed on to start, so that leaves 4 places up for grabs.

I would rule Cole out. I would also play Richardson ahead of Grealish, purely because he will protect the left side of defence more-We are away from home & we don't want to loose our 1st game.

Bent was awful for Fulham and awful prior to going there but under the circumstances, he's the best option at present. Nzog would get my nod behind him and that just leaves 1 place left for either Gabby or Weiman. Weiman just about shades it for me but this is definitely a position that needs improving UNLESS Weiman can fulfil the promise he showed when he first broke through.

I honestly can't see Gabby, Weimann and Bent scoring more than 10 goals between them. They're just complete dross and we're going to struggle to score goals until Benteke comes back. 

Edited by Phumfeinz
  • Like 1

Â