Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

So it looks like we will go into the season with the following options in order or where I think they are in Lamberts pecking order.

GK - Guzan, Given, Siegrist

RB - Hutton, Bacuna, Lowton (possibly out on loan), Herd, Donacien

CB - Okore, Vlaar, Senderos, Clark, Baker, Herd, Donacien

LB - Sissokho (possibly), Bennett, Richardson, Stevens, Clark, Baker

CM - Delph, Sanchez (possibly), Westwood, KEA, Gardner

AMC - Cole, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Gabby, Weimann, Tonev (the latter two I shudder to put in this position but they did play there a few times last year)

LW/Wide Forward - Gabby, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Tonev, Cole, Weimann

RW/Wide Forward - N'Zogbia, Weimann, Grealish, Gabby, Tonev, Cole

CF - Benteke, Gabby, Bent, Weimann, Kozak

Realistically from last year we have added Given, Hutton, Gardner, Richardson, Senederos, Cole, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Bent and possibly Sissokho and Sanchez too.

In my eyes it is a squad capable of staying up but we will be in the mix for relegation along with about 12/13 other teams for most of the season. Sooner we get Benteke back and in form the safer we will be.

I do like the way you have presented his choices.  But you only have Richardson in as third choice left back there and I think he will be first choice left midfielder

Yeah I have missed out Wing Backs and also LM and I agree he would be first choice for both of those. Absent-mindedness rather than design.

Also safe to say Bacuna will play in several other positions than just RB this year.

To be fair, once Benteke and Kozak are back and assuming me can add or two players like Lambert has suggested, hopefully a good defensive midfielder, we have a good team on paper. If those two can come back strong I think we could push for a top half/high mid table finish. Up the Villaaaaaaaaa

I like having Hutton and Cissohko as fullback. big strong and good in the air. won't be so easily beaten on the wings. At full strength plus 1-2 signings we don't look too bad.

--------------Guzan-----------

Hutton--Vlaar--Okore--Cissohko

--------Sanchez---Delph-------

--------------Cole------------

Wiemann/New------------Nzogbia

-------------Benteke----------

With Richardson, bacuna and nzogbia we have real threats from freekicks. Can't think of a time we've had 3 excellent direct free kick takers in the squad.

Potentially Gardner as well.

Yeah forgot about him. We should have decent options during a game. I'd expect us to score a few this year because of that.

I like having Hutton and Cissohko as fullback. big strong and good in the air. won't be so easily beaten on the wings. At full strength plus 1-2 signings we don't look too bad.

I like the look of this. I'd also play Westwood instead of Cole when Cole isn't fit. Try pushing him a bit further up? 

• Like 1

I like the look of this. I'd also play Westwood instead of Cole when Cole isn't fit. Try pushing him a bit further up?

Cole against weaker sides. Maybe Delph in Cole's position and Westwood with the new DM

The thing we will have this year is a decent substitutes bench a long with a half decent first 11. 

I like the fact that we have decent options to bring off the bench in order to change a game. Last seasons subs I always feared were weak. 

Great to see some optimism just wished I could feel it. Our midfield is still as weak as last year I think and our strike force (or should I say goal scorers) are out injured and the rest of them just don't score enough goals at all.

I think our best bet is to set up for every game not to lose. It's ugly and we all hate if but it really is our best chance of staying up. The alternative is attack and lose by 3, 4 like we have seen so often. Lambert knows he has lost the fans so won't really care what the supporters think. His job is to keep us up.

Every point counts.

Squad is looking alright at the moment. What worries me is how it's used

Are you serious?

Â