Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

For me, keeping Vlaar is crucial for us if we want a safe, mid-table-esque season. If Tonev and Luna are the next likely to leave and that can go towards getting another body in, like Ki, I'd be satisfied with our summer activity. 

On the subject of N'zogbia, how many of the 'bomb squad' will really play their bollocks off for Lambert ?

In answer to the original question, at the start of every season we  believe that we have a decent squad.

The last 3 years have proved that we don't, regardless of the few additions every summer.

Remember last year, when we did all our business in the first couple of weeks of the transfer window and how we suggested that we could really push on in the coming season ?

At the end of the day, our 'best' team is just about ok, but our squad is woefully short.

Well the bomb squad ex-members will know what'll happen if they don't perform and will only have themselves to blame if they're excluded because of poor form or attitude.

N'zgbia wasn't a member anyway. He was used in Lamberts first season and missed last season through injury.

Despite a crippling injury list last season we still had a 'safer' season than the year before and with the additions and returning players we're stronger now.

Of course there are no guarantees but if we can avoid injuries to key players there's definitely, in my opinion, reason to be optomistic this season.

• Like 1

If we could get a decent defensive midfielder in i'd be feeling ok about the forthcoming season, i wouldn't expect us to pull up any trees but i wouldn't expect us to be looking over our shoulders with 2/3 games left either.

• Like 3

A decent DM is what we have needed for two years, I hope we can find a way to bring one in.

With Keano on board, and I'm not saying this will happen, what might be the chances of him and Lambert seeing something in Clark or Herd playing there?

• Like 1

A decent DM is what we have needed for two years, I hope we can find a way to bring one in.

With Keano on board, and I'm not saying this will happen, what might be the chances of him and Lambert seeing something in Clark or Herd playing there?

Clark has always done well in that position, I'm shocked he hasn't played there much recently. Think it is worth a try but would still like us to sign a player similar to Tiote.

Clark has always done well in that position, I'm shocked he hasn't played there much recently. Think it is worth a try but would still like us to sign a player similar to Tiote.

Hmmm.. could he be a bit too defensive? I'm not completely sold, even though I rate Clark.

I'm not so sure we are as bad quality/technically as we make out....not brilliant, but not that bad.

I have felt that our application and attitude towards winning a game have been suspect of late....I was never in agreement when we lost and PL would typically say " they have given me everything" " I couldn't ask for more"...some of the games i went to last year that was simply not true in my eyes.

I am hoping that Roy Keane can instill in some of our players the will to win and the necessary belief to compete....for me that is the big part of what's missing.

I have seen heads drop too easily....particularly when key players are missing.

We managed to take some impressive scalps last season, but failed to drive home the bread and butter graft and commitment required to secure a win playing a similar level team.

With the return of some key players in terms of experience and Roy's drive......it may just be that bit of vavavoom to convert performances in to wins.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure we are as bad quality/technically as we make out....not brilliant, but not that bad.

I have felt that our application and attitude towards winning a game have been suspect of late....I was never in agreement when we lost and PL would typically say " they have given me everything" " I couldn't ask for more"...some of the games i went to last year that was simply not true in my eyes.

I am hoping that Roy Keane can instill in some of our players the will to win and the necessary belief to compete....for me that is the big part of what's missing.

I have seen heads drop too easily....particularly when key players are missing.

We managed to take some impressive scalps last season, but failed to drive home the bread and butter graft and commitment required to secure a win playing a similar level team.

With the return of some key players in terms of experience and Roy's drive......it may just be that bit of vavavoom to convert performances in to wins.

Good post TRO. And positive!

Hmmm.. could he be a bit too defensive? I'm not completely sold, even though I rate Clark.

I think if we are to have attacking wing backs, Clark as DM could help. He could drop in when Richardson and Lowton (or Hutton) spring forward.

When defending:

Guzan

Lowton - Vlaar - Okore - Richardson

Clark

Westwood - Delph

Weimann - Cole

Benteke / Kozak / Bent

When attacking:

Guzan

Okore - Vlaar - Clark

Lowton - Westwood - Delph - Richardson

Cole

Weimann - Benteke / Kozak / Bent

• Like 1

Well, when fit that team doesn't look that bad. Assuming players really play that way and attack too, like Holland. Our problem is that we can't hold the ball, so we're permanently in the defending formation.

Well, when fit that team doesn't look that bad. Assuming players really play that way and attack too, like Holland. Our problem is that we can't hold the ball, so we're permanently in the defending formation.

The holding of the ball is key we just get it give it away and that spells trouble i think we will struggle because our home form is so poor we lack creativity and weimann and gabby just dont score the goals they should for offensive players

• 2 weeks later...

So potential starting 11?

---------------------------------Guzan---------------------------------

Hutton-------------Okore----------------Vlaar-----------Cissokho

-----------Bacuna----------Westwood---------Delph--------------

N'Zogbia-------------------------------------------------Richardson

----------------------------------Bent----------------------------------

Baker, Clark, Lowton, Herd, Cole, Weimann, KEA, Bennett, Gardner, Grealish

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Like 2

If we play 5-3-2 I'm slightly worried.

Against Walsall (friendly I know), apart from the wing backs, we had so little width it was quite painful.  We really could do with Gabby trying to run channels again, something he seems to have forgotten to do.

I was also a little disappointed with Westwood, there were many times in that game where he was sat deep (which is fine), we had possession and were struggling to do anything with it.  If Westwood had made a run forward to either support, or go through the defenses lines, we'd have made an opportunity.  As it happened, we just continually moved the ball left to right, right to left, with little craft.

We really need to up our intelligence when we're off the ball.  We're a reactive team, not a proactive team, that makes us predicable and when teams sit back and soak up pressure, we look poor.

I think it'll be another season where we look decent away, but struggle at home again.

I don't think we'll go down though, we seem to have a steeliness about us now, probably down to the fact that we've got some experience back into the squad.

If we sign Cissokho and Sanchez to shore up the left side a bit and finally have a stronger defensive midfielder, the summer business doesn't look too bad all of a sudden (imo). It really all depends on whether we can keep the majority of the team fit. Our strongest XI is decent, but as soon as we have a couple of injuries it all starts to go a bit pear shaped.

Guzan

Hutton       Vlaar        Okore      Cissokho

Sanchez

N'Zogbia      Westwood    Delph

Bent  Weimann

or

Guzan

Hutton    Vlaar     Okore     Cissokho

Westwood   Sanchez

N'zogbia      Delph     Richardson

Bent

If we do sign Sanchez as a DM, then we could free up Delph to have a much more attacking role and utilize his agility much more. Possibly replace Richardson with Delph and have Cole in the middle behind the striker in the second lineup too. The only thing is that it's difficult to get any real width with those lineups, but I think Grealish can help with that should we need it.

Obviously, when Benteke returns, then it'll (hopefully) be a lot stronger.

Edited by JoshVilla

So it looks like we will go into the season with the following options in order or where I think they are in Lamberts pecking order.

GK - Guzan, Given, Siegrist

RB - Hutton, Bacuna, Lowton (possibly out on loan), Herd, Donacien

CB - Okore, Vlaar, Senderos, Clark, Baker, Herd, Donacien

LB - Sissokho (possibly), Bennett, Richardson, Stevens, Clark, Baker

CM - Delph, Sanchez (possibly), Westwood, KEA, Gardner

AMC - Cole, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Gabby, Weimann, Tonev (the latter two I shudder to put in this position but they did play there a few times last year)

LW/Wide Forward - Gabby, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Tonev, Cole, Weimann

RW/Wide Forward - N'Zogbia, Weimann, Grealish, Gabby, Tonev, Cole

CF - Benteke, Gabby, Bent, Weimann, Kozak

Realistically from last year we have added Given, Hutton, Gardner, Richardson, Senederos, Cole, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Bent and possibly Sissokho and Sanchez too.

In my eyes it is a squad capable of staying up but we will be in the mix for relegation along with about 12/13 other teams for most of the season. Sooner we get Benteke back and in form the safer we will be.

Edited by villaglint

Bringing Hutton, Given, N'Zogbia and Bent back into the squad, adding Grealish has for me actually made it stronger than last year without counting signings, unless we are completely sunk by the time Benteke returns then I think we will be just fine

Â