Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

Mantis i applaud your optimisim i really do,  just very depressed about Villa right now and this summer I cannot see any strides forward on the playing side

Mantis i applaud your optimisim i really do,  just very depressed about Villa right now and this summer I cannot see any strides forward on the playing side

I'm not even optimistic. I don't necessarily think it will get better straight away (although it obviously will at some point) I just don't necessarily think things will definitely be terrible next season either. I know things are bad right now but I think a lot of people have worked themselves into this intense pessimism that just isn't warranted at the moment. It might be in 8 months time, but I don't think it is at the moment.

i was thinking about this earlier - our first team without injuries isnt actually that bad (if we signed a new LB and DM)

We coul play quite something like this:

Benteke

Cole/Delph  

Nzog/Gabby                    Grealish/ Weimann             

Westwood/New Dm

LB                                           Lowton/Bacuna

Okore   Vlaar   Senderos

Guzan

that could get overrun in midfield defensively... offensively strong though, depends how wlel the wingers could adapt to tucking in without the ball

could then have adaptations around a a back 4 i.e 4 1 2 2 1, 4 3 3,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i was thinking about this earlier - our first team without injuries isnt actually that bad (if we signed a new LB and DM)

We coul play quite something like this:

Benteke

Cole/Delph  

Nzog/Gabby                    Grealish/ Weimann             

Westwood/New Dm

LB                                           Lowton/Bacuna

Okore   Vlaar   Senderos

Guzan

that could get overrun in midfield defensively... offensively strong though, depends how wlel the wingers could adapt to tucking in without the ball

could then have adaptations around a a back 4 i.e 4 1 2 2 1, 4 3 3,

Slot Richardson in as LB?

Reckon we could have two £5m-ish players on top of what we've got. Gives us a squad that's capable of staying up easily with the right tactics and motivation. Having more senior players will have a big effect I think.

trouble is other teams are spending cash and strengthening, we tend not to see that and focus only on our own little bubble

I'd say it's the exact opposite. We tend to see other teams around us as strengthening exponentially, every player they sign an instant star.

A strong DM and a winger and we arnt too bad assuming the bomb squad bring something to the team ,Vlaar stays and Benteke isnt out too long.

As it stands IMO the recently promoted teams ,WBA ,Swansea ,Sunderland ,Southampton and us look weakest teams in League.

The team that spends the most usually wins or gets close to winning league and same as bottom the lowest spenders struggle and we are currently in that bracket.

trouble is other teams are spending cash and strengthening,  we tend not to see that and focus only on our own little bubble

I see other teams spending cash. I don't see all of them strengthening.

• Like 2

Against Mansfield, we appeared to be playing a 3-4-1-2, which I think is a decent attacking formation to play against the teams that we know we can challenge.

- - - - - - - - Bent - - - - - Weimann - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - Cole - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Richardson - Delph  - - KEA - - - - - Hutton -

- - - - - Clark - - - Okore - - Vlaar - - - - - - - - - 

- - - - - - - - - - - - Guzan - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

With the option to swap Bent for Gabby, Hutton for Bacuna/Lowton and KEA for Westwood, I don't think that's a dreadful team. Average, maybe, but I think it would avoid relegation at least.

• Like 2

Against Mansfield, we appeared to be playing a 3-4-1-2, which I think is a decent attacking formation to play against the teams that we know we can challenge.

- - - - - - - - Bent - - - - - Weimann - - - - - - -

Richardson - Delph  - - KEA - - - - - Hutton -

- - - - - Clark - - - Okore - - Vlaar - - - - - - - - - 

With the option to swap Bent for Gabby, Hutton for Bacuna/Lowton and KEA for Westwood, I don't think that's a dreadful team. Average, maybe, but I think it would avoid relegation at least.

I agree. Also, when Benteke and Kozak are fit we'll have many options up front for the important run in the spring. We have a good chance to stay up, it's not all doom and gloom.

If we can bring in Ki and perhaps one more player (a winger, possibly?), then I'll be fairly happy with our business and our squad going into the new season.

- - - - - - - - Bent - - - - - Weimann - - - - - -

Richardson - Delph  - - Ki - - - - - Hutton 

- - - - - Clark - - - Okore - - Vlaar - - - - - - - 

A first eleven, like the one above, would then give us the rotation options of: Baker, Senderos, Bennett, Lowton, Bacuna, Westwood, KEA, Tonev, N'Zogbia, Gabby and Kozak and Benteke when fit. There are also a few players who we can hope can make their mark: Grealish, Gardner and (to a lesser extent) Robinson and Donacien.

A lot of players returning, a few new signings - we're already in a slightly better position than we were last year.

Things aren't 'looking up' but considering the sale, it's not looking like doom and gloom just yet either.

I think PL has picked a fantastic squad for the America tour. Of course in an ideal world Carruthers, Donacien and Robinson would be there aswell but then again three others would have to be sacrificed. So overall I think he couldn't have picked it better. 

Call me biused but I think with Cole,N'Zogbia and Jack providing Benteke,Kozak and Bent it does look pretty decent !

Also our defence looks a stronger with Richardson,Okore and Senderos. 

• Like 2

I think Andi is a good player, hopefully the competition will give him the impetus to recapture his early form. He was at his best when playing as a forward with Benteke, would be good to give him a run in this position again, knowing that Nzog, Cole, Grealish, Robinson, Bent etc will all be after a place.

Edited by a m ole

On the subject of N'zogbia, how many of the 'bomb squad' will really play their bollocks off for Lambert ?

In answer to the original question, at the start of every season we  believe that we have a decent squad.

The last 3 years have proved that we don't, regardless of the few additions every summer.

Remember last year, when we did all our business in the first couple of weeks of the transfer window and how we suggested that we could really push on in the coming season ?

At the end of the day, our 'best' team is just about ok, but our squad is woefully short.

Â