The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I may not have a new job, and glad I didn't get excited and hand my notice in.

Still waiting to hear from the second interview. He did say it could be Tuesday before I hear anything but unless there were more interviews today I think I would have heard by now if I got it.

I've spoken to the ones that offered me the other role and they are not offering as much as I was expecting. After expecting a decent bump on my current salary, they are initially saying it will be a couple of grand less than I'm on. I'm stuck in a massive rut and need to move but I have a feeling this is going to be a non starter. I'll wait for the official contract offer and say where I am. They need someone in sooner than later so they might be flexible if left with no choice but not holding much hope though.

While I was waiting for the train, a bloke came up to me and asked if I was getting plastered tonight (he also asked nearly everyone on the platform). It turns out it's the end of the world tomorrow and I need to get on the Whiskey, Gin and Absinthe. After the realisation I might not have a new job after all, it is very tempting.

39 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I may not have a new job, and glad I didn't get excited and hand my notice in.

Still waiting to hear from the second interview. He did say it could be Tuesday before I hear anything but unless there were more interviews today I think I would have heard by now if I got it.

I've spoken to the ones that offered me the other role and they are not offering as much as I was expecting. After expecting a decent bump on my current salary, they are initially saying it will be a couple of grand less than I'm on. I'm stuck in a massive rut and need to move but I have a feeling this is going to be a non starter. I'll wait for the official contract offer and say where I am. They need someone in sooner than later so they might be flexible if left with no choice but not holding much hope though.

While I was waiting for the train, a bloke came up to me and asked if I was getting plastered tonight (he also asked nearly everyone on the platform). It turns out it's the end of the world tomorrow and I need to get on the Whiskey, Gin and Absinthe. After the realisation I might not have a new job after all, it is very tempting.

Try negotiate with them, if you explain the salary is less than what your currently on they may make another offer pending on how much they want you. 

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Try negotiate with them, if you explain the salary is less than what your currently on they may make another offer pending on how much they want you. 

Yeah will do, they needed to see all my documents and certificates etc today, so now that's done I'll get an offer in writing and I'll work from there.

I'm used to salary brackets (which I'm sure you are working for NHS), but this wasn't advertised as a bracket and it's also a pretty big jump from bottom to top.

So after resigning my full time position at the bakery, I agreed to stay on and do 2 casual shifts a week to help them out. 

So when I saw my roster for this week, you can imagine I was a little surprised to see I'd been given 3 night shifts. So I quit. Doing the 3 shifts (first one tonight) then I'm done with the company and baking (hopefully)

Just to make things all nice and messed up, on my gardening business front, I already have one real estate agent pushing regular work to me. Got an email saying they need an urgent job done by Thursday. Not really a good move to decline them this early into my doing work for them. 

So work tonight as a baker, go home get a couple of hours sleep, go and do this urgent job, back to bed for a couple of hours, then back baking. 

I'm so pissed off the with the bakery and all their issues that I didn't even go to my own farewell drinks. Luckily it was for another fella who was leaving as well, so I just said I was sick. 

9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

So after resigning my full time position at the bakery, I agreed to stay on and do 2 casual shifts a week to help them out. 

So when I saw my roster for this week, you can imagine I was a little surprised to see I'd been given 3 night shifts. So I quit. Doing the 3 shifts (first one tonight) then I'm done with the company and baking (hopefully)

Just to make things all nice and messed up, on my gardening business front, I already have one real estate agent pushing regular work to me. Got an email saying they need an urgent job done by Thursday. Not really a good move to decline them this early into my doing work for them. 

So work tonight as a baker, go home get a couple of hours sleep, go and do this urgent job, back to bed for a couple of hours, then back baking. 

I'm so pissed off the with the bakery and all their issues that I didn't even go to my own farewell drinks. Luckily it was for another fella who was leaving as well, so I just said I was sick. 

You don't have to do it right? If I were you I'd prioritise your own business and no show the night shift at the bakery, no need to exhaust yourself. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

You don't have to do it. If I were you I'd prioritise your own business and no show the night shift at the bakery, no need to exhaust yourself. 

No you're right I don't. My missus has been telling me all day..... I also left out I have a cold and a pulled muscle in my back. 

My Mrs is well pissed at me. Thing is in a bakery where we are understaffed it will be one of my mates who misses out on their night off, and I have a some cursed need to do the right thing. 

Just to make things more interesting (if they weren't already) whether warning for tomorrow. Rain all day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just been notified that ive been shortlisted for a larger role. Its doing the same thing i do now but in a bigger office and a pay jump that would make my eyes water. It would make us extremely comfortable. It makes sense to put absolutely everything into going for it, but i just hate my job with a passion. I hate the company and the way im being expected to treat people. The job itself shouldnt be as stressful as what it is but the current company strategy/restructuring is a nightmare, i feel sick at the thought of going to work every morning. I know that my workload would be less in the new office as the managers they have in there are great and are happy to have a lot more delegated to them, so im pretty sure my stress would reduce if i got the role. 

Ive been looking for something new for a couple of months now and feel a bit downbeat because i want a change of sector but everything needs direct experience and i cant really afford the drop in wages to go to a basic role in a new sector and hope for a promotion to around my pay level. I could take a drop but not as significant as what i think id have to. 

My other option is that i could apply for a new grad scheme and essentially start again. Ive been with my company for three years now so it will be a big decision if i do decide to go this route. The advantage being that id be able to gain the experience i need with a pay drop i could afford. But i have a mortgage and responsibilities and i cant be flexible with location which most schemes require. 

Essentially i feel pretty stuck. Im probably one of the front runners for a job that i really dont want (pay rise aside). I suppose the best worst case is i get this job and can keep looking for something new but it feels like a pretty bad thing to do. 

4 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I suppose the best worst case is i get this job and can keep looking for something new but it feels like a pretty bad thing to do. 

If roles were reversed, they'd screw you without a thought.

• Like 3

worst case - plan for 12 months in the new role if you go for it, save a little of the extra aside ahead of splitting then. You do a reasonable minimum amount of time in the role without pissing off your employers, get the extra cash and different experience for the resume.

That sounds incredibly easy written down, mind. Harder when the work's a bitch

From a personal note I went from being well remunerated doing some contracting work to taking a few steps back to pursue a more interesting job and the money drop can be very noticeable. Going from enjoying a regular social life with a nice holiday to cutting down on everything was tough. I'm still well short of what I was on 3.5 years ago. Admittedly money isn't a huge thing for me, I think - but I did enjoy not worrying about costs then! I did that when renting, but I was also paying more in rent then, than the mortgage I do now so who knows!  It depends what kind of drop you'd think you've have to do to make a clean break.

Is it worth exploring grad schemes quietly further to see how flexible they could be on er, flexibility? I confess I don't know how they work so that might not be a goer.

Good luck whatever you choose

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Essentially i feel pretty stuck. Im probably one of the front runners for a job that i really dont want (pay rise aside). I suppose the best worst case is i get this job and can keep looking for something new but it feels like a pretty bad thing to do. 

Do it.

Like Stefan said, they'd dump you in a second if it was the other way round.

Being in a job you hate is also not a particularly good idea, it can reek havoc on your wellbeing and mental health, I know this all to well when I took a high paying job and having a really shit time. 

The interim solution of taking the promotion and looking for another job elsewhere is a good idea, as others have pointed out, a firm will drop you in a second if they had to, so no point in worrying about it. Just note that if you do take this job with a substantial pay rise it will be (psychologically) harder for you to take a pay cut to switch industry further down the line.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Oh stop being a complete pussy.

I once had a job, got fired.  Got another job. Got fired.  Got a THIRD JOB - YOU GUESS IT, GOT FIRED. 

Then all of a sudden, BANG!

two paracetamol and I was banging your mum. 

let's try this again. 

Edited by lapal_fan

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Horrendous abuse of your admin powers Blandy.. :blush:

Just rubbish typing from you, dude :) No need to abuse my superpowers. And trying to cover your tracks won't work. Damn those pesky kids.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This weeks really kicked off for me

Got a interview today within the NHS still, one on Tuesday and another in the NHS on Wednesday. God I hope I dont flop all three! :D

As long as you wear the dress you're wearing in your profile pic you'll be fine

(yes I know)

Â