The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

5 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Tried looking back over previous threads but can't find one, so apologies if not the right thread.

I have a dormant pension from previous employment with one of the larger pension providers, and have been advised/had it suggested to move it into a SSAS, where I will be the 5th trustee. 

Does anybody have any advice/thoughts that could help me make up my mind whether this is the right thing to do?

I'd be inclined to report this 'adviser' to the authorities. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2017 at 10:23, Rodders said:

interview yesterday, offered job this morning. Hooray! 

Finally, after 3 years of either two jobs or two contracts within same place ( spreading only 30 hours across 6 days! ) I finally have a regular 9-5 all year round ( working at university so far they have been semester time only so far, pro rata'd ) job again, with a very tidy increase ( relatively speaking ) 

Useful timing, as I'm off to the mortgage advisors tomorrow to sort out the application after having a bid accepted on a house last week. A big week! And relax. Only a month to go of all day saturdays and occasional night cover. Yaas! 

Big choice for tonight, Glenfiddich 12 year or Kilchomon?

The luck is all in for you. Congrats.

Next time you get petrol, get a Lucky Dip lottery ticket mate. 

• Like 1

I'm in interesting situation at the moment. Not sure what to do. 

The company I work for, our particular dept. has just lost a few clients who have gone to our competitors, and as such, we have had to reduce our headcount. What this has meant is that some management has gone and also our IT support teams have had to lose a couple of heads. The team I work in - application support - aren't losing any heads, because what we do is very niche and we are about to take on internal support for the wider business, focusing on Microsoft Dynamics. 

Now, I had pre-empted this, and had an interview in a town closer to home, but slightly less money and it is getting back into the more hands on IT stuff, working for a non IT company doing their internal IT support. Do I take this, or do I stay where I am, not particularly enjoying application support?  

Edited by Tayls

26 minutes ago, Tayls said:

The company I work for, our particular dept. has just lost a few clients who have gone to our competitors, and as such, we have had to reduce our headcount. What this has meant is that some management has gone and also our IT support teams have had to lose a couple of heads. The team I work in - application support - aren't losing any heads, because what we do is very niche and we are about to take on internal support for the wider business, focusing on Microsoft Dynamics. 

Now, I had pre-empted this, and had an interview in a town closer to home, but slightly less money and it is getting back into the more hands on IT stuff, working for a non IT company doing their internal IT support. Do I take this, or do I stay where I am, not particularly enjoying application support?  

Don't know you Tayls but here's my opinion. That job you went for is less money but you can offset the salary reduction by getting more enjoyment out of that new job. Furthermore, it being closer may save some money and also precious time. You'll be clawing back more leisure time in the evening and get slightly longer in bed in the morning. Sort of win win lose.

but the loss there, of money, who's to say that in the other job with you enjoying it and potentially excelling in it, that you wouldn't rise the ladder on the back of that? It's quite possible you will.

if you have the opportunity to get into something you enjoy more, I'd say go for it. As said, the drawbacks can be offset by what you would gain. Lots of people do jobs they don't like but if it got offered to you why not go for it?

also if / when they call to offer the job to you, play hard ball, that you want more money. Worst that can happen is they say no, if they want you above all other candidates it may be that they'd think sod it, fine. Worth a try. Best of luck either way.

Edit... Afterthought. Taking care of their IT makes you a knight in shining armour for some of the women that work there. Now, I don't know if you're fixed up or not, but... Opportunities my friend.

2w32ahi.jpg

No VPN / that remote fixing thing... it's about the personal service, no?

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 3

I'm in a right pickle and not sure what to do.

I've been working for the same company since I left school, which was 12 years ago now, and within that time my skillset has developed and i'm earning a half decent salary which i'm comfortable with. Only issue is, work has dried up and we're currently bidding for a job that will either make or break us. It literally is like that, if we get this job, we will have to grow 5x over night. If we don't, we're going to be crippled financially for the foreseeable future. Currently there's only 2 bidders, and we know from initial feedback we're leading the race and there's a very good chance we'll get it.  However, we wont find out for sure til August/September time.

I uploaded my CV to a website the other day and have been contacted by a company who would like me to go and interview. The money is a big bump, the work will be a lot harder but there's a nice car allowance involved, plus the possibility of travelling the world to work. In all the jobs I could get which isn't my current job, it's probably the next ideal job, but I'm not sure whether to stick with the same company and be loyal (who have been very good to me over the years) and wait to see what comes of this new bid, or whether to go for this other job.

I know the sensible thing is to probably do the interview and see how I feel about the place, but because i've only ever worked for 1 company before there's definitely an element of fear of changing to a role which im unfamiliar with....

I really like my current job, but I have such a varied and strange skillset it would be really hard to find another job like it, but I do fear that if we don't win this bid it's game over, and there's an opportunity here for me now. Why couldn't I have been contacted in August god damnit.

Anyone got a time machine I can borrow?

Edited by PieFacE

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I've been working for the same company since I left school, which was 12 years ago now, and within that time my skillset has developed and i'm earning a half decent salary which i'm comfortable with. Only issue is, work has dried up and we're currently bidding for a job that will either make or break us. It literally is like that, if we get this job, we will have to grow 5x over night. If we don't, we're going to be crippled financially for the foreseeable future. Currently there's only 2 bidders, and we know from initial feedback we're leading the race and there's a very good chance we'll get it.  However, we wont find out for sure til August/September time.

I uploaded my CV to a website the other day and have been contacted by a company who would like me to go and interview. The money is a big bump, the work will be a lot harder but there's a nice car allowance involved, plus the possibility of travelling the world to work. In all the jobs I could get which isn't my current job, it's probably the next ideal job, but I'm not sure whether to stick with the same company and be loyal (who have been very good to me over the years) and wait to see what comes of this new bid, or whether to go for this other job.

I know the sensible thing is to probably do the interview and see how I feel about the place, but because i've only ever worked for 1 company before there's definitely an element of fear of changing to a role which im unfamiliar with....

I really like my current job, but I have such a varied and strange skillset it would be really hard to find another job like it, but I do fear that if we don't win this bid it's game over, and there's an opportunity here for me now. Why couldn't I have been contacted in August god damnit.

No point being loyal - if they were that good to you why is that you can make a such a big bump in money? I'd consider changing, 12 years is a hell of a long time to be a one place. 

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No point being loyal - if they were that good to you why is that you can make a such a big bump in money? I'd consider changing, 12 years is a hell of a long time to be a one place. 

Well assuming we get this job there will be room to expand in where I will very likely get a similar bump, just need to get the work secured first.

Yeah, it's tempting, and daunting at the same time. 12 years is a long time though, change isn't always bad, right? :P 

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Go for the interview. You might not even get the job. No point worrying about something that hasn't happened yet! 

If you do get offered it, then its time to think.

You say your place has been good to you? Well, you've been good to them as well, dedicating 12 years of your life to them. Plus if you don't win this contract it could be curtains for you there. Go for the interview and see how you feel afterwards...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

change isn't always bad, right?

Damn straight!! I changed jobs from a place I liked (10 years) a year and a half ago. In that time I've learned tons of new stuff, been sent to Barcelona and Paris on tech-summits, and had a substantial salary-bump.

Much like insurance, it's very rare to be rewarded by loyalty in this day and age. Go for it

• Like 1

On 05/05/2017 at 17:01, Tayls said:

Take it. 

Break it down like this...

Is the extra money in your current role enough for doing a job you don't enjoy or doing the extra travel?

23 hours ago, PieFacE said:

**** loyalty for a start. The company wouldn't be loyal to you if they didn't want you. That's how it works.

I think you should go for it. The only thing holding you back is the fear of something new.

I was the same, at JLR for almost 9 years, and even though my new job was interesting work, more responsibility, significantly more pay and generally just a great opportunity, I still nearly turned it down for fear of change.

At the very least go for the interview.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PieFacE said:

plus the possibility of travelling the world to work.

This would be the clincher for me.  Always dreamed of a job that would send me around the world.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2017 at 17:14, Midfielder said:

Don't know you Tayls but here's my opinion. That job you went for is less money but you can offset the salary reduction by getting more enjoyment out of that new job. Furthermore, it being closer may save some money and also precious time. You'll be clawing back more leisure time in the evening and get slightly longer in bed in the morning. Sort of win win lose.

but the loss there, of money, who's to say that in the other job with you enjoying it and potentially excelling in it, that you wouldn't rise the ladder on the back of that? It's quite possible you will.

if you have the opportunity to get into something you enjoy more, I'd say go for it. As said, the drawbacks can be offset by what you would gain. Lots of people do jobs they don't like but if it got offered to you why not go for it?

also if / when they call to offer the job to you, play hard ball, that you want more money. Worst that can happen is they say no, if they want you above all other candidates it may be that they'd think sod it, fine. Worth a try. Best of luck either way.

Edit... Afterthought. Taking care of their IT makes you a knight in shining armour for some of the women that work there. Now, I don't know if you're fixed up or not, but... Opportunities my friend.

2w32ahi.jpg

No VPN / that remote fixing thing... it's about the personal service, no?

Cheers @Midfielder appreciate the response. I got the offer!! So, now have a hell of a decision to make. I'm quite loyal, and hate letting people down, which is what I feel l will be doing should I decide to jump ship. I'm not very good with change, and worry about being on a probation period just in case they decide I am crap and don't want to keep me. No idea what to do now...  the new role only has 1 bloke doing the IT for a growing business, so I'd be the first on in to help with the support of it all...   

Much like the meme - this job would be more face to face rather than remote, which is a good thing! 

Cheers @TrentVilla as well! 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

Â