The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

They're taking advantage, but it's probably in your interests to take it, if only to get it on your CV and move elsewhere if they're still taking the piss after the 6-12 months.

If you do go for it, get a written set of achievable objectives that you need to meet to be considered a success in the role, so they can't string you along.

Edited by Davkaus

The alternative (within the company) is to take a different role as a sideways move. I'd still be looking at a promotion after that, but in that scenario it would be an absolute minimum of 12 months, with the risk that if I wasn't' any good at that role I'd then be stuck for longer.

So this is kind of the same thing, just with extra reassurances and a much shorter timeline, hopefully.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If you do go for it, get a written set of achievable objectives that you need to meet to be considered a success in the role, so they can't string you along.

Yep, I'll do that. My boss already said we'd need that as he knows I wouldn't stay in this department without at least the (almost) guarantee of a promotion.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Potentially been offered a promotion.

Except not really.

It would be a role that is a managerial role, but I wouldn't get the promotion until I'd shown I can do it for 6-12 months.

Can't decide if it's a good thing or if I'm being screwed :D

That happened to me 11 years ago. I did it for the allotted time, jumped through their hoops for them. Boss did absolutely nothing he'd promised, so I told him to stick it and left to do current role, (which is the best one I've had, I think). Take a chance, what's the worst that can happen?

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've also been headhunted for a role at a different company.

Urgh, decisions.

At least you've had them, to make!

I've been in my job just over 2 years now, no review, despite asking multiple times and definitely no salary review, despite asking multiple times.

Booooorrrrriinnnnnggggg.

So I went down to HQ and asked about other opportunities within the same company, I'll give them a few weeks/months and see what happens.

Edited by lapal_fan

Unless the business is on the verge of going under, then there is no excuse for not giving staff, or the majority of them a rise, even if its a token one.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Potentially been offered a promotion.

Except not really.

It would be a role that is a managerial role, but I wouldn't get the promotion until I'd shown I can do it for 6-12 months.

Can't decide if it's a good thing or if I'm being screwed :D

Depends if you trust your senior manager I reckon. I saw exactly this happen to a colleague. It was a fairly crappy job but was given all the assurances that it would be converted to a management role after 6 months max... said senior manager then moves on and doesn't want to know...

Could be a great opportunity, nows the time before little Stevo's come along...

Well the thing with this would be that it'll be an LL6 role, I'd just be filling it. So they wouldn't be able to change their mind on that front.

I'd just have to prove that I'm good enough to do it.

I really want to get out of my department, but this is tempting me to stay.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well the thing with this would be that it'll be an LL6 role, I'd just be filling it. So they wouldn't be able to change their mind on that front.

I'd just have to prove that I'm good enough to do it.

I really want to get out of my department, but this is tempting me to stay.

Ah right, more clean cut than my colleagues role then (which was a brand new role).

Will you get paid more for standing in? 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Nope, don't think so. Hence why I think I'm being screwed a bit.

Would probably be worth it though

I've known people cover LL6 roles and get the temporary rise to go with it so it does sound a bit odd.

All things considered though, if it'll help something you want then I say go for it. :thumb:

Huh, maybe it will then.

It's too early to say. This was literally a 5 minute conversation with my boss so not even close to talking about money yet. Interesting though.

• 3 weeks later...

Not posted here for a good while but need some advice from people who might have been in my situation before! 

A couple of weeks ago my manager was offered and accepted a job at a competitor in Birmingham. He's wanted out for a while as the atmosphere at our place is pretty toxic. Lots of changes and decisions being made by the MD and his "business advisor" and soon to be partner in the business that no one else agrees with. He's currently working his notice period but a few weeks ago he asked if I would like him to send my CV to his new employer as they know a few others are looking to leave and are on the look out for new guys. I said yes. They've made contact with me and are making me an offer in the next few days. Here's my problem. The current MD is best described as being something akin to bipolar with ADHD. I think he has a problem, personally. I'd like to move for various professional reasons but if my manager and I both jump ship together it will get very ugly. My manager has suggested trying to get the new employer to hold the role until he's gone and then I'd hand my notice in immediately after (potentially leaving my with 2 months still in the crazy house). I'd rather not burn bridges and I don't do conflict particularly well being a pretty laid back guy.

How would you guys tell the boss in a way that would allow me to leave on amicable terms? Has anyone ever been head hunted by a competitor and had to deal with an upset current employer while you work a notice? Are they allowed to make your life difficult? 

Thanks in advance! 

Look after your own interests and do not give one shit about him, if he wants to be a baby about it then that's his pathetic little prerogative. Just tell him straight up. If he makes your life difficult then remind him you're working a notice period and that you're under no obligation to go above and beyond your contracted hours etc.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

If you're that worried about the mental bastard, you're under no obligation to tell them where you're going, especially if you don't even need them for a reference (I imagine your current manager will do that?). I'd just tell him, do my contracted hours, handover all duties as well as possible, and keep my head down, though.

The only time I've left a job to work for a competitor, I was given 4 weeks off paid and had all access to the buildings and IT kit removed instead of working my notice. Best 4 weeks of my life. :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Yep. Be straight about it. if you've got a potentially better job waiting for you then go for it. You can't be staying in a job because you don't want to upset your current boss.

In addition, I'd be a little distrustful of your manager, to be honest.

How is it possibly going to help if you stall for a few weeks before handing your notice in? They won't even have replaced him by then. It might be better for him, I doubt it's going to help you much, though.

This thread being bumped again has just reminded me that there are jobs going at my place again.  £30k I think (possibly £32k) and a free tie.  Some other perks too.  Jobs located in town (Moor Street station) Stourbridge and Banbury.

Train Manager (ref: CS13-15/16)
Home / Current Vacancies / Train Manager
We are looking for committed Train Managers to work within Chiltern with the aim of achieving a high standard of quality and performance on trains, as directed by the On Train Service Manager.

Key responsibilities:

Ensure own personal safety and that of others at all times.
Manage customer security, respond to customer enquiries and in times of disruption, ensure that customers’ needs are placed first.
Provide clear and concise on train announcements to ensure accurate information is given to customers.
Check the cleanliness and general environment of each train and rectify or report faults by means of the Vehicle Defect Book.
Supervise the catering steward/ess, ensuring that a high level of customer service is delivered by all catering staff.  Assist the catering steward/ess where necessary.
Welcome customers boarding trains, particularly at originating stations.
Provide passenger count information on trains.
Deal with anti-social behaviour on trains.

Fuller details in the link, I'm not sure when the deadline for applying is but it's been advertised for about a week now so probably worth applying sooner rather than later if you are interested. 

Â