The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

As long as you wear the dress you're wearing in your profile pic you'll be fine

(yes I know)

:crylaugh:

Hopefully one of them should lead to something as went back down salary as my secondment at my previous role in the nhs role expired.

I should be fine...unless there is a typing test. I am screwed if there is !

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Haha 1

I took the job that I was offered earlier in the thread, I managed to negotiate on the salary. Which in itself will increase the pressure on me as they said they are expecting more from me now than what originally the role was for. Which isn't an issue as it's mostly what I was expecting to do anyway. 

Not 100% sold on this role and it's going to have its issues from the start but it should be good to have on my CV and can look again in a year if I need to.

1 week left to go in my current place. I have a huge amount that I am meant to do before I leave. Monday I am going to have to say it can't be done. I am going to have to work extra as it is, the bonus being I will get the money as it won't be possible to get the time back.

On 07/09/2017 at 20:33, leemond2008 said:

Well I have managed to get myself an interview for the counter fraud department, its within the same company that I am already with and whilst I wanted to get away from the company and out of insurance altogether I quite like the idea of working in fraud.

I always said that the two departments that interested me were bodily injury and fraud.

Its a shame because I actually quite like the people that I work with (which is saying something as I am one of the most misanthropic people you are likely to meet) and I enjoy the job but the way the place is ran and the work volumes are absolutely crazy, it probably won't be any different in the new department but at least it is a fresh start.

I've got my interview next Wednesday and the strange thing is that I'm not worried at all about it, I had to re-interview to keep my job during redundancies just a few months ago and I failed massively, I didn't have a clue on questions that I was expected to know, the thing with my job at the minute is that you can blag your way through 75% of it and not have any idea what you are doing, its a shame because I would have been bloody good at the job if things were managed better.

Anyways, in this interview I'm not going to be expected to know the answers to the technical questions but the stuff I have learnt from the injury department should carry me through I reckon.

It isn't for any more money but its another string to my bow as they say.

and then once I have got the system nailed I will just run around committing fraud left right and centre and never get caught...I will be a little frauding ninja, I will build an empire and have a pet tiger

Had my interview today.

I really have no idea whether I have done enough or if I flunked massively.

I wasn't too impressed when they threw a pen at me and said right then now you have a 45 minute written test.

I don't think that is really fair, you could have gave me the questions and answers 3 weeks ago and I still would have **** up massively, I've always been the same in that sort of situation, I would have at least liked a bit of forewarning.

Anyway it is what it is, it's out of my hands now, I can't do anymore than I already have.

I'll find out by the end of next week if I I have got it or not.

So i had an assessment for that role yesterday and it was a bit of a mixed bag. I'm confident i aced the presentation and Q&A and the first half of the interview went well. The last 4 questions were definitely decided to be curve balls. But, i thought one was borderline if not what would be classed as discriminatory. I was essentially asked as i am young for this role, and the youngest candidate, how i deal with managing older people. I answered it best i could but its been playing on my mind ever since. I'm certain the other candidates wouldn't have been asked that question because from my knowledge they are all middle-aged. 

Is it worth me raising? Or wait for the outcome of the interview? 

Need some advice

So I have been on two interviews this week and have been offered both jobs

One in NHS working in admissions (i work for this trust at the moment) and one in medical recruitment. The medical recruitment one looks like a really young and vibrant company with a lot of benefits and you can make a shit load of money. (most on average take 3-4k a month if you get the hang of it) my mate who is a team leader there, now takes 9 to 10k a month. but it seems very cut throat. They were saying things like although your hours are 9-5 we expect staff to work 8.30-6.30 Monday to Thursday and maybe an occasional Friday. They also said its a very high pressured environment but the rewards can be life changing. It sounds tempting but it seems like you have to commit your life to a role like this and at 35 I am unsure if I can commit to this. Also I am not sure how secure it will be as they implied things like we will know within 9 months if you will be capable of doing the job and each person we recruit it costs us X amount to put them in that seat

Has anyone got experience in medical or any form of recruitment and if they do would you recommend getting into that industry? 

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

So i had an assessment for that role yesterday and it was a bit of a mixed bag. I'm confident i aced the presentation and Q&A and the first half of the interview went well. The last 4 questions were definitely decided to be curve balls. But, i thought one was borderline if not what would be classed as discriminatory. I was essentially asked as i am young for this role, and the youngest candidate, how i deal with managing older people. I answered it best i could but its been playing on my mind ever since. I'm certain the other candidates wouldn't have been asked that question because from my knowledge they are all middle-aged. 

Is it worth me raising? Or wait for the outcome of the interview? 

I think that's a perfectly reasonable question.

Some people struggle with managing people who are older and/or more experienced than them.

I've been asked pretty much that exact question in an interview before. It's a genuine concern for employers.

I don't see any problem with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Need some advice

So I have been on two interviews this week and have been offered both jobs

One in NHS working in admissions (i work for this trust at the moment) and one in medical recruitment. The medical recruitment one looks like a really young and vibrant company with a lot of benefits and you can make a shit load of money. (most on average take 3-4k a month if you get the hang of it) my mate who is a team leader there, now takes 9 to 10k a month. but it seems very cut throat. They were saying things like although your hours are 9-5 we expect staff to work 8.30-6.30 Monday to Thursday and maybe an occasional Friday. They also said its a very high pressured environment but the rewards can be life changing. It sounds tempting but it seems like you have to commit your life to a role like this and at 35 I am unsure if I can commit to this. Also I am not sure how secure it will be as they implied things like we will know within 9 months if you will be capable of doing the job and each person we recruit it costs us X amount to put them in that seat

Has anyone got experience in medical or any form of recruitment and if they do would you recommend getting into that industry? 

Depends on whether you think you can cut it in a high pressured sales environment. You're going to have some very long hours, terrible work life balance and constant pressure to hit targets, obviously the money is fairly decent so you have to weigh it up. In the grand scheme of things it may not hurt to give it a shot, if it doesn't work out then at least you tried and hopefully can get something else fairly quickly. 

That said, as you say, at 35 years old it might be too much of a young persons game. Personally, when I look at people in recruitment I struggle to see the longevity in it. Everyone looks burnt out and looks like absolute shit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Depends on whether you think you can cut it in a high pressured sales environment. You're going to have some very long hours, terrible work life balance and constant pressure to hit targets, obviously the money is fairly decent so you have to weigh it up. In the grand scheme of things it may not hurt to give it a shot, if it doesn't work out then at least you tried and hopefully can get something else fairly quickly. 

That said, as you say, at 35 years old it might be too much of a young persons game. Personally, when I look at people in recruitment I struggle to see the longevity in it. Everyone looks burnt out and looks like absolute shit.

Yea i think i am going to pass on it. If it wasnt so heavily focused on sales amd more about development like i thought, id be more interested.

Your point about being burnt out and looking like shit is true. Damn some of them look rough. I think alot if them do drugs as well personally.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting out of NHS mental health. The pay is crap, the shifts too long and most of the staff coming through these days are self absorbed retards who are more interested in the academic side instead of actually l helping patients in crisis. Mr Hunt has killed the NHS to the point were once loyal and giving staff no longer give a flying ****. 

Problem is, as an unqualified band 3 healthcare assistant, there isnt much out there for me to go to. I've done this for 10 years now so at 32 its a bit scary to retrain, but without doing it I'll be stuck in menial jobs or stuck doing this for the rest of my life. All I know is that I want out of the NHS and need to enjoy a job again. 

Edited by Ingram85

31 minutes ago, omariqy said:

So my new client is my old economics professor. I am now advising him about managing money. How ironic!

How can you be advising anyone about anything, when all you ever do on here is ask for advice? :lol: 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I'm looking at getting out of NHS mental health. The pay is crap, the shifts too long and most of the staff coming through these days are self absorbed retards who are more interested in the academic side instead of actually l helping patients in crisis.

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying it, but it does seem a bit weird for someone working in mental health to be calling other people 'retards'?

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying it, but it does seem a bit weird for someone working in mental health to be calling other people 'retards'?

Jesus, you always over analyse things bud. Dont start with the social media faux outrage nonsense. How about Rocket polishers, cretins, nobs, arseholes, word removeds, clearings? Any better?

Also, its a derogatory slang word originally used for people with learning disabilities. Not a great word i have you but these days its just a general insult. Nothing to do with mental health, so yeah.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Â