The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Mid 20's: 30-35k

Mid 30's: 40-45k

MId 40's £50k plus

It's all subjective though. That's what I'd class as "decent". But not "great"

Very much more than decent, Stevo. I'm a mid-twenties graduate living in London and not only am I not on anything close to that salary, I don't know too many other people who are either. Maybe if you work in finance or another very corporate position you might be on £35k by your mid twenties, but I can say with reasonable confidence that young people in most walks of life certainly aren't.

Not really, I know plenty of young lads (trades men) Brickys, Chippys, Sparkys etc all pulling in at least £150 a shift.

Cant really speak for any finance/corporate positions.

150 is the minimum atm, im a sparky working in London atm

I applied for a role last night, something I did a few years back that is basically the other side of the coin for the easier half of my current role.

Opening salary is considerably more than I get now.

I look at that and can't help but think it reiterates the need to move. If that did happen, i'd feel a wrench as, in general, my current role is with people I like and respect and I've been treated very well over some difficult times recently, but it all has to be underlined with the salary, which is shit. Really shit.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

my current role is with people I like and respect and I've been treated very well over some difficult times recently, but it all has to be underlined with the salary, which is shit. Really shit.

There's no such thing as loyalty when it comes to career progression. Sure - be loyal within your role but if you get offered a better opportunity somewhere else, don't let such thoughts get in your way.

• Like 1

MId 40's £50k plus

Very much more than decent, Stevo. I'm a mid-twenties graduate living in London and not only am I not on anything close to that salary, I don't know too many other people who are either. Maybe if you work in finance or another very corporate position you might be on £35k by your mid twenties, but I can say with reasonable confidence that young people in most walks of life certainly aren't.

Not really, I know plenty of young lads (trades men) Brickys, Chippys, Sparkys etc all pulling in at least £150 a shift.

Cant really speak for any finance/corporate positions.

150 is the minimum atm, im a sparky working in London atm

Must be paying a fortune in tax

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edited by Genie

Yea an umbrella company will sort that out tax wise. I tend to suggest an umbrella company to those that are on under £200 per day. Over that then either an umbrella or limited company is the way to go.

• Like 1

MId 40's £50k plus

Yeah that might be a bit high. Should probably be 25-30.

BUt like I said, everybody's perception of decent will be different.

32 and at the bottom of the top earning bracket if that makes sense. But I do live and work. in the South East.

MId 40's £50k plus

32 and at the bottom of the top earning bracket if that makes sense. But I do live and work. in the South East.

I've learned recently that it's all so very dependent on location - I thought my salary at my new job was unreal, until I started paying £1,550 a month in rent. Striking the balance between location and salary seems to be the key should one be in the privileged position to do so.

MId 40's £50k plus

I've learned recently that it's all so very dependent on location - I thought my salary at my new job was unreal, until I started paying £1,550 a month in rent. Striking the balance between location and salary seems to be the key should one be in the privileged position to do so.
Yep. That's why I commute for 2 hours on the train.

I was on 21k when I was a teacher and the starting wage for this graduate scheme I'm looking at at Fujitsu is like 26k.

Why would anyone want to be a teacher?

I'm a teacher, and apart from it being the best job in the world, I can give you about 40k reasons/year why. Sometimes, I do love being Norwegian!

Money is important but doing a job that you genuinely enjoy is more important

Yup I was getting paid £62k working in the oil and gas industry and each year I was making more money....

I gave it up because I hated it after nine years.

Now I am doing something I love and I'm getting about £20k.

Money is important but doing a job that you genuinely enjoy is more important

Yup I was getting paid £62k working in the oil and gas industry and each year I was making more money....

I gave it up because I hated it after nine years.

Now I am doing something I love and I'm getting about £20k.

That's pretty bad ass man! To give up chasing the dollar for happiness. What do you do now if you don't mind me asking??

I was on 21k when I was a teacher and the starting wage for this graduate scheme I'm looking at at Fujitsu is like 26k.

Why would anyone want to be a teacher?

I'm a teacher, and apart from it being the best job in the world, I can give you about 40k reasons/year why. Sometimes, I do love being Norwegian!

I was a teacher and it was all I ever wanted to do. Then I decided I'd rather have a life.

It's true. Do something you enjoy doing rather than chase the money (and teaching money in the UK is shite as well)

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â