New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

By far the best badge at the moment is Spurs in my opinion. Modern, simple but recognisable at the same time, we should be looking at something comparable. There are a million round badges at the moment, let's not go back to that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think the satelite academies now have their own strip, or at least the one in Gloucester does, presumably the others are the same, but our actual academy players representing Aston Villa should definitely wear the same top as first team players, they've earned the right to play for the club in their age group, which is no easy feat, relatively speaking they're amongst some of the best youngsters in the country, it's not as if just anyone can play for our younger age groups.

Seperating the younger age groups from the first team like that would probably also make us less attractive to young players we're trying to bring into the club, it needs to be all unified as much as possible to make us as attractive as possible.

After Mark Harrison left Albion they had someone who tried to introduce similar rules to their academy, in terms of youngsters not being able to do this and that until they earned the right, and a lot of their fans blame that on them losing a lot of their people to us.

The Foundation and disablility teams all wear the first team shirt as well.

Correction they still play in the official Aston Villa top for match days...

'We will also be launching our new training kit for players. Pictured above. We will still play in our Aston Villa kit for match days and this is something we think is important for players and parents. It shows our direct link to Aston Villa Academy notwithstanding that our Centre Manager is a full time coach at the academy himself. Paul currently holds the Uefa A Licence, Advanced Youth Award, FA Talent Identification Level 4 Certificate and Premier League ECAS qualifications.'

Gloucester Elite Performance Centre

1 hour ago, useless said:

That's a far too simplistic way of looking at it, doesn't matter anwya  there's no way whatsoever that the club will make the academy players wear a different kit, it's just not going to happen, and isn't a good idea, it's a bad idea.

I think you’re confusing it with the idea of playing in bibs.

I do agree it’s not going to happen though.

Edited by a m ole

When I was looking at the other badges I thought the best ones were either the very simple ones, Spurs stood out, or the more complicated ones with lots of detail like Newcastle, Sunderland and Coventry, they sort of have an old worldy feel to them, that might suit us. I feel like Wolves could have had the best badge if they just left it as the Wolf's head, but that hexagon around it spoilt it.

Edited by useless
like dig, could we have a badge that incorporats minature versions of all our bades, probably not

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

OK, here's my abbreviated version of my perspective on the FCG crest/identity discussion at VP last night -

It was a loooong chat. A guy from the design agency was leading it, and lists PSG and LOSC amongst other clubs he/the agency has recently designed for.

It was a conversation that I'm deeply passionate about, as you can imagine. Whilst one of the members began with "this'll be easy - we just go back to the round one", I was keen to emphasise that it needs deeper thought than that.

As much as the general consensus on the survey was "it was just marketing buzzwords", things made more sense when I began talking about values. As a club, we were historically pioneers and this should be an opportunity to showcase that. If we just "go back to the round one" we're the same as Chelsea and Man City - and they're a couple of Johnny Come-Latelys who want to pretend they've got heritage.

The lion is one of two constants in the history of Aston Villa. The name is the other. Personally, I'd love for our crest to be a lion with Aston Villa written below it. Maybe give the Villa more prominence than the Aston (like Paris and St Germain on their new crest).

I wouldn't have the star. Incorporating it suggests we won't win it again. Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona - no stars. Villa and Forest - stars.  Maybe feature it inside the shirt, behind the badge, or something. It has a role, just not as part of our main identity. Look at Liverpool's official crest, then look at what shows up on the front and back of the shirt. An identity can take various forms so long as they all work together.

I talked about how disjointed our visuals are in general - from Twitter to matchday to around the ground. I requested a bespoke typeface that we can own and use everywhere. I also talked about colour. As you approach VP now, there are countless banners on lampposts. Great, but the top part of them is sky blue and so is most of the crest, so they are largely invisible.  Couple that with no real clarity on what our colours are. No consistency either. My suggestion was to get a 1982 shirt, send it to a company in the US called CSI and have them created the dye recipe and reference number for that claret and that blue. That then becomes the standard.

I also talked about the prestige of the crest and the shirt. I talked a lot. Dave Woodhall was keen to support me in saying that I should be the one talking a lot! As I approach the Holte on a matchday I see the club badge in gold leaf and feel proud. As I leave VP at the end, I'm trampling all over it on burger wrappers and serviettes. It's disrespectful. The badge is our crown jewel. Treat it like that.

Same for the shirt - only the men's and women's first teams should get the main kit. All other age groups have their own version. Pro and replica should be available for sale, but you only get a Villa shirt when you're picked for the first team. It's an honour.

As much as this is my personal view on it, albeit an informed one, I also spoke about the requirements of other fans in different localities and age groups - including potential new fans seeing us for the first time and being able to know who we are. I was part of implementing the new identity of Spurs and the Italian federation, saw first-hand the mess with Everton's first go around at their new badge (and the "please everyone" version they ended up with) AND had to talk Hull City down from the cliff edge when they were looking to implement the whole "Tigers" thing. What they ended up with could've been far, far worse.

I feel like we'll get something good here, something to be proud of, so long as the surveys and feedback don't hamstring it.

A camel is a racehorse designed by committee.

So glad you were there, thank you.

Love your views on this.

• Thanks 1

Spurs badge is great, stands out and is smart.

As already stated, seeing all the badges together in the survey showed how similar too many of them are.

It’s really put my off the typical round badge design, as well as a few comments/explanations here.

We need to have something distinctive and unique. Even if it’s round, it needs to look completely different to other clubs and look nothing like, for example, the Man City badge…

Should really stand out and catch everyone’s attention…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

OK, here's my abbreviated version of my perspective on the FCG crest/identity discussion at VP last night -

It was a loooong chat. A guy from the design agency was leading it, and lists PSG and LOSC amongst other clubs he/the agency has recently designed for.

It was a conversation that I'm deeply passionate about, as you can imagine. Whilst one of the members began with "this'll be easy - we just go back to the round one", I was keen to emphasise that it needs deeper thought than that.

As much as the general consensus on the survey was "it was just marketing buzzwords", things made more sense when I began talking about values. As a club, we were historically pioneers and this should be an opportunity to showcase that. If we just "go back to the round one" we're the same as Chelsea and Man City - and they're a couple of Johnny Come-Latelys who want to pretend they've got heritage.

The lion is one of two constants in the history of Aston Villa. The name is the other. Personally, I'd love for our crest to be a lion with Aston Villa written below it. Maybe give the Villa more prominence than the Aston (like Paris and St Germain on their new crest).

I wouldn't have the star. Incorporating it suggests we won't win it again. Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona - no stars. Villa and Forest - stars.  Maybe feature it inside the shirt, behind the badge, or something. It has a role, just not as part of our main identity. Look at Liverpool's official crest, then look at what shows up on the front and back of the shirt. An identity can take various forms so long as they all work together.

I talked about how disjointed our visuals are in general - from Twitter to matchday to around the ground. I requested a bespoke typeface that we can own and use everywhere. I also talked about colour. As you approach VP now, there are countless banners on lampposts. Great, but the top part of them is sky blue and so is most of the crest, so they are largely invisible.  Couple that with no real clarity on what our colours are. No consistency either. My suggestion was to get a 1982 shirt, send it to a company in the US called CSI and have them created the dye recipe and reference number for that claret and that blue. That then becomes the standard.

I also talked about the prestige of the crest and the shirt. I talked a lot. Dave Woodhall was keen to support me in saying that I should be the one talking a lot! As I approach the Holte on a matchday I see the club badge in gold leaf and feel proud. As I leave VP at the end, I'm trampling all over it on burger wrappers and serviettes. It's disrespectful. The badge is our crown jewel. Treat it like that.

Same for the shirt - only the men's and women's first teams should get the main kit. All other age groups have their own version. Pro and replica should be available for sale, but you only get a Villa shirt when you're picked for the first team. It's an honour.

As much as this is my personal view on it, albeit an informed one, I also spoke about the requirements of other fans in different localities and age groups - including potential new fans seeing us for the first time and being able to know who we are. I was part of implementing the new identity of Spurs and the Italian federation, saw first-hand the mess with Everton's first go around at their new badge (and the "please everyone" version they ended up with) AND had to talk Hull City down from the cliff edge when they were looking to implement the whole "Tigers" thing. What they ended up with could've been far, far worse.

I feel like we'll get something good here, something to be proud of, so long as the surveys and feedback don't hamstring it.

What an excellent piece, glad you were there to offer your well informed advice and great points made. Two points in particular, stood out for me ;

The Star on the crest - I was previously in favour of this being incorporated into the new crest......but you're right on reflection, maybe it is a bit small time ?

The first team shirt - I'm very much aligned with you in that I think it should be earned and an achievement to wear it. Maybe we could do something similar to cricket, when a player gets 'capped' their cap has a different colour motif/ crest to recognise the difference in status, perhaps a gold lion on first team shirt only ?

Either way, the club and FCG are lucky we have experienced and qualified people to put forward recommendations such as yours.

• Thanks 2

I just want the badge to be unique and have character to it. The round badge isn't that for me. I've said it previously but nostalgia blinds people massively because of the European Cup, we could have had a massive cock on the front and I reckon people would be asking for that back now. 

Hopefully the club don't mess it up. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Anything but a round badge. We have the most unique name in football. Let's not follow the sheep. 

It's a shape. We can be distinct and special with use of a round badge. Just look at Bayern Munich.

Round badges usually look good on kits and are easily marketable.

There is nothing in term's of 'following the sheep'. It's just a shape and so much can be done with it. 

So I don't particularly have any historical affinity for the round badge of '82, because I wasn't born (1988). The badge I remember is the striped one, which I always thought was naff but it was less important back then because the internet wasn't really a thing and football clubs were less "businessy" than they are now.

Personally, I think the round badge with a few updates can be the perfect blend of modern while also serving as a reminder to our glorious past. If not the round badge, then I think minimal is best, Just a lion, a star. Either that or just A.V. something along the Juventus lines. 

I will have a look at this survey over the bank holiday weekend, but I can't get that invested in this subject than compared to  others. This will be the 3rd new badge in about 30 odd years.  No doubt in another 10-15 years we will probably go through this all over again.

More interested in the stadium plans tbh.

Edited by The Fun Factory

11 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Well I have no doubt that the fans are being well represented at these events. Excellent. 

• Thanks 1

I saw an image/design yesterday but cannot for the life of me remember where it was? It was based on the Ajax badge and it looked quite good or could at least be worked on as a concept.  I wish I could find it?   However, a lion or lion head with our full name used could look really good:

image.thumb.png.7ba8edda113ad44c35d961447f7189c4.png

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

@ferguson1 this one?

Yes, that’s it 👍.  I thought I’d dreamt it this morning when looking for it again. Thanks.

I just think it’s something that can be worked on as an initial starting point. I personally like the idea of this.

• Like 1