$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

It appears 5% of a Northern football club is to be sold for £88.7m on the New York stock exchange and that is considered to be value for money but we cannot attract a bid of double or just above/below that for 100% of our football club from anyone. :o

We should have appointed Max Bialystock to bring some money into the club because we currently seem a very hard sell that needs a costly upgrade that everyone ignores as they hurry past the estate agent's window.

We really need something to start to happen without further delay. We would like to think that something is happening behind closed doors that neither we nor the press are aware of but I guess that we have heard nothing because that is what is currently happening sale wise. :(

Two years of there shirt deal buys our club

• Like 1

In a world where any bit of hype is welcome to sell season tickets....I would muster a guess that nothing is happening.

I think we'll hear some major hype through unofficial sources close to the club within two weeks to boost season ticket sales only for it to be denied after the season starts. Not that I'm cynical :) Edited by nick76

It's so depressing too, because the Clippers have been nothing but a complete failure of a basketball club for their entire existence. 

Yeah but they can be complete failures and make money as they cannot get relegated. Villa are in the same bag as about 10 other teams in the Premier League to make up the numbers as cannon fodder and trying to stay up now counts as a success.

There is no way that Lerner will not still be owner until at least the end of the 2014-2015 season. Hopefully after another 15th finish.

If we can't be sold this summer surely it will be harder next summer. Another poor season, more teams gaining financial advantages over us, manager out of contract, potentially a few key players out of contract and decreasing attendences. I think we're an even worse purchase 12 months on.

• Like 1

If we can't be sold this summer surely it will be harder next summer. Another poor season, more teams gaining financial advantages over us, manager out of contract, potentially a few key players out of contract and decreasing attendences. I think we're an even worse purchase 12 months on.

Goodpoint we will have no playing assets at all we are in a mess and lerner could sort this but he chooses to do nothing cant believe he will let his investment fritter away

No takeover =no future. Lerner has seen us fall flat season after season for the last 4 seasons and he does nothing i repeat nothing and he will realise when its too late overall lerner is a total failiure with no stomach for a battle hes given up and the players look like they have its game over for this club no takeover is coming

Agreed. Players won't want to stay or come

It's so depressing too, because the Clippers have been nothing but a complete failure of a basketball club for their entire existence. 

Yeah but they can be complete failures and make money as they cannot get relegated. Villa are in the same bag as about 10 other teams in the Premier League to make up the numbers as cannon fodder and trying to stay up now counts as a success.

There is no way that Lerner will not still be owner until at least the end of the 2014-2015 season. Hopefully after another 15th finish.

I know, the only reason I mentioned it is because on one hand you have the Los Angeles Clippers (originally San Diego), who have only been in existence for 35-some odd years, and have, for almost that entire time, been one of the worst sports teams in North America, across the spectrum of pro sports. This team is now worth over 1 billion dollars. 

On the other hand, you have Aston Villa, a founding member of the first football league in history, a club steeped in tradition and glory, and known around the world. And it can't be sold for a quarter of what the Clippers will be sold for. I understand all the reasons why this is the case, but it doesn't make it any less depressing a thought.

• Like 1

I can't understand why getting a new owner should affect a supporter buying a season ticket or not. Either your fan of the club ir your not! I so understand other reasons like not enough time, (kids, job), financial, living in Stockholm :) I mean the mire season tickets the club sells the more attractive acquisition AVFC will be. Not only because of increased ticket revenue but will also sell more merchandise, more televised games etc.

I think it's more hope. Say we get taken over this week...immediately there would be a boost to everyone with potentially at first fresh impetus, fresh ideas and some money for hopefully some new and exciting players. Who knows we might actually win more than 6 home games a season then and going down to VP most games wouldn't be a massive chore.

Think back to 2006, we'd just had a despressed two seasons and then Lerner came in and everyone was bouyant again and that season became exciting even though we only finish mid table. You knew it was the start of a journey and our season ticket sales from that point reflected things.

• Like 1

Well it's August and the Club remains in limbo. The beginning of the new season and the end of the current transfer window seem frighteningly close.

Thank goodness that since the 7th July Randy Lerner has turned his full attention back to Villa matters at hand; otherwise you could begin to believe we were in something of a mess. Personally I haven't noticed any difference from when he was focussing his attention on selling the Club - but I stand to be corrected.

I took some comfort from the fact that the " sale process has been productive and remains ongoing", but I'm beginning to wonder exactly what that means. Does 'productive' mean that he's found out that no-one wants to buy us, and 'ongoing' merely means that the 'for sale' sign is still in place?

Despite him being a self-confessed anglophile I'm still not convinced that when it comes to football and football supporters Mr Lerner quite 'gets it'. Perhaps it's spending your formative years with the American game and culture that makes it difficult to fully understand what football and a football club means to a British fan. And if he does, how on earth can he be prepared to preside over the current debacle. Even just to protect his investment you'd imagine he'd be willing to spend a (comparatively) modest amount to try to ensure continuing Premier League status - ye gods the season hasn't started yet and my focus is on survival (again).

Still we have to have faith that 'productive' and 'ongoing' mean more than I fear, and that Mr Lerner's "full attention to Villa matters at hand" will make a significant difference - please, PLEASE! 

• Like 4

He's hardly likely to have said there is no interest and I'm really pissing in the wind trying to sell this thing I have made a total mess of

He doesn't really need to say it, does he?

It screams from every rooftop...

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

I remember when reading an article in early 2013 that Randy was going to vote against FFP that I thought this would signal the start of some spending again. It could actually be viewed as an early part of his exit strategy, as without FFP makes Villa a much more attractive club. I couldn't work out why Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea were all in favour, but now I realise it just helps them maintain the status quo.

Also makes sense why Fulham voted against.

It seems, from this article, that had just one more club voted against FFP then would be in the hands of new owners already, but also perhaps indicates that Randy has **** himself over by staying around for last season.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool were all expected to back the new plans, while Manchester City, Fulham, West Brom and Aston Villa were expected to vote against.

In actual fact, the vote for the financial regulations could hardly have been closer - as six were against with Reading abstaining. It meant that the 'yes' vote only narrowly achieved the necessary two-thirds majority of the 19 votes cast.

Clubs sources say Fulham, West Brom, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Swansea and Southampton all voted against. Chelsea, who had initially been viewed as opponents of financial fair play regulations,

voted in favour.

Full article here

Edited by StanBalaban

I've been thinking about this whole takeover/non-takeover thing for the past couple of months, and I think we (as a club) are seeing the first casualty of the FFFP.

Potential owners know that there is no realistic way of getting a return; the gap between the top four/five teams is too immense to catch up with and get away with spending the amount of money due to restrictions.

Football has for many years started to eat itself. There is nowhere new on this earth to get a bigger fanbase. Lucrative sponsorships will only be with the select clubs for the foreseeable. Where else do you get your money from to comply with FFFP?

Yes, you can be smart (like Dortmund and Atletico have shown) but these are flash in the pan moments for these teams. The "bigger" clubs will just come fishing, they will be able to take them due to FFFP and so the process starts again.

We have history yes, we have great facilities, we even own our stadium and area around it. The problem is, growth is not possible for us.

So if anyone is blaming Lerner not being able to sell this club, just think: which any potential owner could work with the infrastructure in place in modern football to make a positive difference to this wonderful club?

In my opinion, there are few if any. 

So if anyone is blaming Lerner not being able to sell this club, just think: which any potential owner could work with the infrastructure in place in modern football to make a positive difference to this wonderful club?

If we'd been run better I think it would make a difference.