$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Obviously it's bullshit, but let's have fun anyway..Anyone know anything about him?

He was born in Utrecht in 1939. He has 3 children and is a boyhood Aston Villa who thinks we will get relegated without investment. Cast iron info there for you.

• Like 1

Obviously it's bullshit, but let's have fun anyway..Anyone know anything about him?

He was born in Utrecht in 1939. He has 3 children and is a boyhood Aston Villa who thinks we will get relegated without investment. Cast iron info there for you.

I think he's just what we need: a 75 year old billionaire with three children to fight over what to do with the club after he dies in a few years.

Villa should be in a similar position really.  Biggest team between Manchester and London, and ever present in the Premier league with no serious local competition.

People often say this, but it isn't true. There's another team, with a stadium less than 3 miles away, who have been in the PL for most of the last 15 years. There are 2 other teams, within a 15 mile radius, who have been in the top 2 divisions of English football for almost all of their history. There's another PL team between Birmingham and Manchester as well. 

We aren't all that attractive as a proposition from a point of view of expansion of fan base. 

Which bit isn't true?  I said that we were the biggest team between Manchester and London, not the only team.

The bit where you said, or to be fair, heavily implied, that we should be in a similar situation to Barcelona based on geography and potential support. Also the idea that we have "no serious local competition" for supporters. 

The two situations are not remotely comparable. Barcelona are a massive team, the only team of even slightly comparable size in the whole region, and are symbolically bound up with regional identity. We are a team that is slightly larger than 3 other teams very closely located in our region, and we haven't won anything at all for nearly 20 years. Apart from both being football teams, we have nothing in common. 

Villa should be in a similar position really.  Biggest team between Manchester and London, and ever present in the Premier league with no serious local competition.

People often say this, but it isn't true. There's another team, with a stadium less than 3 miles away, who have been in the PL for most of the last 15 years. There are 2 other teams, within a 15 mile radius, who have been in the top 2 divisions of English football for almost all of their history. There's another PL team between Birmingham and Manchester as well. 

We aren't all that attractive as a proposition from a point of view of expansion of fan base. 

Which bit isn't true?  I said that we were the biggest team between Manchester and London, not the only team.

The bit where you said, or to be fair, heavily implied, that we should be in a similar situation to Barcelona based on geography and potential support. Also the idea that we have "no serious local competition" for supporters. 

The two situations are not remotely comparable. Barcelona are a massive team, the only team of even slightly comparable size in the whole region, and are symbolically bound up with regional identity. We are a team that is slightly larger than 3 other teams very closely located in our region, and we haven't won anything at all for nearly 20 years. Apart from both being football teams, we have nothing in common. 

You are always reading words that aren't there mate, give it a rest!

It was a fair comparison, if you are comparing Villa to the baggies, stoke and Leicester City then you are following the wrong club. We are without doubt the biggest club between Manchester and London, no we are not Barcelona but we are Aston Villa the Pride of the Midlands.

The Midlands needs a good long look at itself if we're the best it can come up with.

I don't really agree with HV either because if we aren't being bought for potential, then what else are we going to be bought for? There's not much point getting involved if they're aiming for us to stay relatively the same as we are now because we're not pulling up any trees and we're not doing well financially either.

• Like 1

I see someone has been creative on wiki

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fentener_van_Vlissingen

Looks like a 10 year old has had a go at that.

Apparently he's a journalist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Stevieleto

"Birmingham based freelance journalist. 23 years of age and proud supporter of Birmingham City! Hate villa with passion but have to write about them a lot :("

Also, the page has been edited to

"Recently he has been wrongly linked to a takeover of Aston Villa Football Club, based in Birmingham, England. Speaking to the media in his homeland he stated: "I can state now that I have no interest in any sporting ventures, I am enjoying other ventures at this moment in time"

Must try harder Stevie Leto.

Which sounds better, Birmingham Villa or Heart of England Villa?*

* neither of them. 

I don't think that's the idea.

Heart of England is a tagline like theatre of dreams or mes que un club.

* neither of them.

Indeed. I actually like the "Pride of Birmingham" thing, but it doesn't seem to have been pushed by anyone except Macron! That said, they probably have a proper marketing team.

I once worked with/for a guy who ran a marketing agency down in this here London. He'd done some work with The Villa. Lots of staff apparently, an extraordinary amount, but completely rudderless. This was back in 2010. Maybe things have changed, but we don't seem to be showing signs.

It's nothing to do with whether we put Birmingham anywhere near our name It hasn't doen SHA any good and personally i'd prefer we didn't get any closer to them in any way shape or form

It's to do with putting good teams on the pitch, producing results and drawing in our local fan base.  We do that then we get recognised a hell of a lot more.  Simples!

• Like 2

* neither of them. 

Fair enough. I don't think it'll make a huge difference though - results on the pitch matter more than anything else. I've been living in Asia for 6 years, and I can tell you that our name recognition has dropped with our league position, while our branding has remained the same. I understand now that this isn't what you're suggesting, but I don't want to change the name, at any point - remember, nobody in Asia knows where Chelsea, Tottenham or the Royal Woolwich Arsenal are either, but plenty of people support those teams. We just need to do better on the pitch.

That said, I don't suppose a bit of branding would do any actual harm.

We can all relax now though Ramadan is over, Eid has been celebrated and now the Saudi's will come marching over the hill to save us from more Lernerisms!

This Eid lasts 2 days :P

Tomorrow is the big day then!!!!! :detect:  

I have always thought that `Aston Villa' was the best marketing name, unique and unusual.

Cannot understand why they run with AVFC on so much literature and marketing, does nothing for the Club, in my opinion.

• Like 3

Matt Kendrick article says a mystery billionaire was at the game recently ;)

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-prodigal-players-prosper-7523128

Matt Kendrick article says a mystery billionaire was at the game recently ;)

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-prodigal-players-prosper-7523128