Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

Whether a takeover happens or not, we should seriously consider Steve mclaren.

I think we already seriously consider him to be an enormous bellend.

272fc05c9cdb784eb0c25aa21a5e9602180c5f60

Those two are the real bellends. Probably the most irritating advert on television / offtopic

Those two are the real bellends. Probably the most irritating advert on television / offtopic

Now theres an off topic thread!

Very witty, but there's a great deal of sense behind what VillaGoMarching said. If you take a step back from banter and tabloid insults, what you're left with is a manager who was tremendously successful as Fergie's assisstant, overachieved repeatedly with Middlesborough, getting them to the later stages of European competition and a couple of top 10 finishes when their budget would've suggested that was impossible. Then he failed as England manager, a job every person who has attempted has failed at it in my lifetime, before winning the Dutch league out of nowhere with a distinctly average team. 

What does all of that suggest to you? He's good at managing teams on a budget, ie us. He learns from his mistakes. He's improved his philosophy, and vastly increased his continental knowledge (one of Lambert's good points). One of these days another Prem team is going to realise that there's a good manager here, tarnished by one high profile failure. 

• Like 2

Totally agree HanoiVilan.

He is a much better manager now than he was with England and I just think the England job came too soon for him. What I admire most about him is that he took himself away after failing with England and rebuilt his reputation in Europe.

The difficulty is though that I think he will promote Derby through the play offs and won't be available unless someone pays Derby substantial compensation to get him. Even then he might want to stick with Derby for a season through loyalty.

If Lerner is still at the club next season then I can't see him forking out yet more compensation for managers if Lambert is sacked while also considering previous managerial compensation and if Moyes is still available.

Very witty, but there's a great deal of sense behind what VillaGoMarching said. If you take a step back from banter and tabloid insults, what you're left with is a manager who was tremendously successful as Fergie's assisstant, overachieved repeatedly with Middlesborough, getting them to the later stages of European competition and a couple of top 10 finishes when their budget would've suggested that was impossible. Then he failed as England manager, a job every person who has attempted has failed at it in my lifetime, before winning the Dutch league out of nowhere with a distinctly average team.

What does all of that suggest to you? He's good at managing teams on a budget, ie us. He learns from his mistakes. He's improved his philosophy, and vastly increased his continental knowledge (one of Lambert's good points). One of these days another Prem team is going to realise that there's a good manager here, tarnished by one high profile failure.

At the time I very much preferred Lambert over Mclaren, Lambert was on an upward curve in his career and his stock was high. While Mclaren had plateau'd shall we say.

Mclaren wouldn't have been given the season and half of backing which Lambert got, can you imagine our fans if Mclaren had overseen that 9-0 at Chelsea.

Guiding Derby to the playoffs is a great achievement, most Derby fans ambition under Clough was just to stay clear of a relegation battle, and with arguably the same bunch he's had them climbing the league. Interesting that he's got a 60 percent win ratio for his first season in charge. Some record IMO.

• Like 1

At the time I very much preferred Lambert over Mclaren, Lambert was on an upward curve in his career and his stock was high. While Mclaren had plateau'd shall we say.

Mclaren wouldn't have been given the season and half of backing which Lambert got, can you imagine our fans if Mclaren had overseen that 9-0 at Chelsea.

Guiding Derby to the playoffs is a great achievement, most Derby fans ambition under Clough was just to stay clear of a relegation battle, and with arguably the same bunch he's had them climbing the league. Interesting that he's got a 60 percent win ratio for his first season in charge. Some record IMO.

To be fair to Lambert we only lost 8-0 - still a club record defeat though!

Bring in Hoddle!

• Like 1

With the news that Ranieri is going to be replaced by Jorge Jesus at Monaco I like the idea of him taking over if Lambert was to leave.

Martin Jol anyone?

Won the Dutch cup with Roda

2 5th place finishes with Spurs

5th place with Hamburg and a UEFA cup semi final

Won the Dutch cup with Ajax and 1 point from winning the title

9th and a 12th place with Fulham- no other managed turned the corner with them this season.

Has lived in the midlands area before 

Seems a nice bloke

Is avaliable

Is not Scottish

Edited by The Fun Factory

Would be interesting to see an interview where he puts on a brummie accent :D