Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I'd take Pulis if we really are in need of a manager to keep our heads above water.

I think with Palace he's shown that he's not a hoofball merchant, he simply gets the best out of what he has.

But, until we know the truth behind our situation, I'd rather aim a little higher.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

David Moyes makes sense to me, he's a top 6 manager and we'd be as solid as fook with him at the helm.

This is all provided peeps can ignore the last 12 months!!

The good and bad about Moyes - is that I think he would more easily work with what Lambert leaves, than say Laudrup,  - The bad thing is his Everton team were very poor for long periods under his reign....they were a very ugly side......How much better than Lambert is Moyes......

No more than a Hunch but incognito's tweet about a new chapter - the word Moyes just jumped into my head 

is this a serious question?

To be honest, Moyes' first few seasons at Everton weren't very consistent. 7th in his first season, 17th the next., then 4th then 11th. After four seasons the finishing position began to stabalise around 4-7th place.

Given the similar financial circumstances I'd argue that it would take a few more seasons of Lambert before it could be better determined who would be better (Or Lambert is replaced by Moyes)

• Like 1

My point was more to do with consistency and it taking a few years to build on it.

Imagine Moyes took over Everton and had to gut the squad AND compete on a shoestring, how do you think he'd have done? I doubt it would have been much different from Lamberts reign here.

• Like 1

Any manager would have their drawbacks. Whoever it is in August, if Lerner is still here, will have had no significant transfer backing and will be one of the favourites to be sacked before January.

Lambert or any other manager will struggle to keep us up next season if the ownership status remains quo. It's the squad that needs the most work.

I'd love Laudrup with Martin Laursen as his assistant but fear it may be a Jol or Curbishley.

If Lerner's here he'd get 20mil odd, as per usual - that's not a massive amount but it's not exactly 'no significant transfer backing'. 

But if it's the same as usual then it's also a question of wages and that's where it get's difficult getting in good players.

If Lerner's here he'd get 20mil odd, as per usual - that's not a massive amount but it's not exactly 'no significant transfer backing'. 

Trouble is if Lambert's still here he will spend most of it replacing the shite 7 or 8 players he brought in the previous 2 summers!

But if it's the same as usual then it's also a question of wages and that's where it get's difficult getting in good players.

Depends on the plans I suppose.

£20m net spend will probably just about be enough to stand still next season. It won't be enough to significantly improve what we have. It depends what we're aiming for. If it is top 8/10 then I think we'd need more like £50-60m.

Don't believe the Zola for manager rumours. However Zola as head if youth development ?! I could see happening. My money is literally on De Boer

You have threw away your money then, no 'name' will be coming here (not that I really rate De Boer anyways but that is a different matter.) I can't see anyone proven out there who would work under these constraints.

We will stick with what we have, hopefully Bent and Hutton gets a lucrative contract in some jokeshow league and we can add 3 very good, experienced, proven players to the squad he has assembled. Then will be the time to judge Lambert.

Don't believe the Zola for manager rumours. However Zola as head if youth development ?! I could see happening. My money is literally on De Boer

You have threw away your money then, no 'name' will be coming here (not that I really rate De Boer anyways but that is a different matter.) I can't see anyone proven out there who would work under these constraints.

We will stick with what we have, hopefully Bent and Hutton gets a lucrative contract in some jokeshow league and we can add 3 very good, experienced, proven players to the squad he has assembled. Then will be the time to judge Lambert.

Sorry I've judged him already on the 2 seasons he's had and he isn't up to the job IMO!

DeBoer will end up at spurs IMO!

£20m net spend will probably just about be enough to stand still next season. It won't be enough to significantly improve what we have. It depends what we're aiming for. If it is top 8/10 then I think we'd need more like £50-60m.

How much did Newcaslte, Stoke and West Ham spend to be hovering around 10th place?

Mass hysteria as usual, we don't need to spend £60m, Lambert has got his squad now, the wage budget is down, £20m can get us 3 very capable players. I have no doubt if we can just get one top DM we could push onto 10th place. Which is progress.

now we add quality, even more so in another 12 months when Bent, Zoggy and Hutton are shipped.

• Like 1

My point was more to do with consistency and it taking a few years to build on it.

Imagine Moyes took over Everton and had to gut the squad AND compete on a shoestring, how do you think he'd have done? I doubt it would have been much different from Lamberts reign here.

that's what he had to do. look at his squad around the early period. Hibbert, Richard Wright, Duncan Ferguson, Carsley, Kilbane, Stubbs etc. on paper not exactly much better than what we have at the moment and then he signed a lot of free and cheap players and they became consistent over time

We will stick with what we have, hopefully Bent and Hutton gets a lucrative contract in some jokeshow league and we can add 3 very good, experienced, proven players to the squad he has assembled. Then will be the time to judge Lambert.

I'm not convinced this takeover will happen. I remember letting myself dream about the QIA rumours (which I heard was started by a student in Liverpool to see how far a random rumour could spread for a dissertation) I digress but my shout for De Boer is purely based on us actually getting taken over by an uber rich guy who wants to build the club up. De boer has already said he would leave Ajax for the right project and I don't see him getting the man utd job so building up one if the founding members of the league and former euro cup winners is an ideal project in my opinion. If Lerner stays best we can hope for outside of lambert is Moyes. Edited by thabucks

How much did Newcaslte, Stoke and West Ham spend to be hovering around 10th place?

Mass hysteria as usual, we don't need to spend £60m, Lambert has got his squad now, the wage budget is down, £20m can get us 3 very capable players. I have no doubt if we can just get one top DM we could push onto 10th place. Which is progress.

now we add quality, even more so in another 12 months when Bent, Zoggy and Hutton are shipped.

Just my opinion. The Premier League gets more competitive every year. We will end up a long way behind if we don't act now that the finances are a bit more in order.

If you want to break into that group that are the top six or seven at the moment - City Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal United Spurs Everton - I reckon a team like ours would need £80-100m.

We have the sort of squad that with everyone fit is maybe 10th - 13th, three or four injuries later we can't cope and we're a 14th - 17th side.

The only thing that will sort that out is investment.

now we add quality, even more so in another 12 months when Bent, Zoggy and Hutton are shipped.

Just my opinion. The Premier League gets more competitive every year. We will end up a long way behind if we don't act now that the finances are a bit more in order.

If you want to break into that group that are the top six or seven at the moment - City Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal United Spurs Everton - I reckon a team like ours would need £80-100m.

We have the sort of squad that with everyone fit is maybe 10th - 13th, three or four injuries later we can't cope and we're a 14th - 17th side.

The only thing that will sort that out is investment.

Every club gets injuries - we will next season - if fact we start next season without Benteke.  Current squad Ive got to say is the weakest since the relegation year of 1986/7 

We will stick with what we have, hopefully Bent and Hutton gets a lucrative contract in some jokeshow league and we can add 3 very good, experienced, proven players to the squad he has assembled. Then will be the time to judge Lambert.

I'm not convinced this takeover will happen. I remember letting myself dream about the QIA rumours (which I heard was started by a student in Liverpool to see how far a random rumour could spread for a dissertation) I digress but my shout for De Boer is purely based on us actually getting taken over by an uber rich guy who wants to build the club up. De boer has already said he would leave Ajax for the right project and I don't see him getting the man utd job so building up one if the founding members of the league and former euro cup winners is an ideal project in my opinion. If Lerner stays best we can hope for outside of lambert is Moyes.

So have you wagered real cash money on DeBoer like you stated earlier?