Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Happened for Cissohko and Sanchez.

It's just a stock media answer, there's nothing much to read into it. I'm sure if the deal is doable then all efforts will be made to complete it.

basically he's saying to everyone if the moneys right he's going to do it, no point with deadline approaching admitting your desperate to sign people as clubs will charge you more, just lay it out your not that desperate and you won't be held to ransom..

Seems he hast lost confidence in getting deals over the line... from stating he wanted to add 2 more which would complete the squad

He said the exact same thing in the Stoke post-match interview. It's just the standard answer to give and it is true in the sense that we work to a budget. We will be looking to add one or two more but as with the previous two signings, the price must be right.

• Like 2

If I'm honest I'm not too bothered if we add anymore, personally think with the 5 additions we have had + the bomb squad and injured players back our squad is looking strong. We even have options off the bench!

We have been very coy with our acquisitions, not paying over the odds for average players like the rest of the league seem to be doing. By saying he'll only sign players if the price is right, he's not giving the selling clubs (if any are in the pipeline) the imputes to increase the price. 

If he says 'yes I'm very keen to add another player' and on transfer deadline day we make a bid, that club is going to know that Lambert wants to add the player and will add a few quid..

We have been very coy with our acquisitions, not paying over the odds for average players like the rest of the league seem to be doing. By saying he'll only sign players if the price is right, he's not giving the selling clubs (if any are in the pipeline) the imputes to increase the price. 

If he says 'yes I'm very keen to add another player' and on transfer deadline day we make a bid, that club is going to know that Lambert wants to add the player and will add a few quid..

Wow, you must have a MSc in Economics as well as in Advanced Negotiation Techniques.

So you think every selling club go to media sites and look for articles where the buying club has made any remarks of potential deals? Give me a break, this is not how it works. Villa are pretty much skint, like every other club in Europe seems to be except for the lucky few. People KNOW that Paris St. Germain, Manchester City, United and Real Madrid have cash to spend, they will easily crank up the price here and there. Most players have a set value and if there is reluctance to sell you know the player will oppose it and react with a transfer request etc.

Whether we go out to say "we are going to buy a new player" as opposed to "we might strike a deal if the price is right" means absolutely nothing when dealing for players within the range we are looking at. Just look at the players we have signed over the last year; Richardson was a freebie, any club would love to sell Senderos, Cissokho came back from a failed loan at Liverpool, Sanchez wasn't very cheap for his age, Kozak certainly wasn't cheap given the ability he has shown in his career and so on. Let's say we go for a player we value at 3M, it's not like the club is going to say 5M based on an interview Lambert has made. They could of course demand 5M from the start, but that is down to negotiation and meeting in the middle. The players we are looking at are probably a) players not worthy of a spot in his current team in the Premier League, B) loans or c) players from Europe (belonging to clubs with lackluster economy).

The art of selling players is easy. If you want to keep said player, hike up the price and refuse to sell unless the price reaches astronomical figures. If the player is surplus to requirements, you are glad to get rid of him. Would we hike up the price if someone came in for a bid for Luna, Bent or Bennett? Of course not, we would pay for their flights. Would we hike up the price for Vlaar or Benteke? Certainly.

Wow, you must have a MSc in Economics as well as in Advanced Negotiation Techniques.

As it turns out, I do have a masters in economics! And I think you're wrong on this one.

One interview isn't going to make much of a difference, no. But if PL routinely said "Yes, we're certainly looking to add quality to the side" in press conferences, that would definitely change the tone when it comes to negotiations.

Same reason governments routinely try to suppress poor news stories, and to not "talk down" the economy.

• Like 4

So you think every selling club go to media sites and look for articles where the buying club has made any remarks of potential deals? Give me a break, this is not how it works. Villa are pretty much skint, like every other club in Europe seems to be except for the lucky few. People KNOW that Paris St. Germain, Manchester City, United and Real Madrid have cash to spend, they will easily crank up the price here and there. Most players have a set value and if there is reluctance to sell you know the player will oppose it and react with a transfer request etc.

Whether we go out to say "we are going to buy a new player" as opposed to "we might strike a deal if the price is right" means absolutely nothing when dealing for players within the range we are looking at. Just look at the players we have signed over the last year; Richardson was a freebie, any club would love to sell Senderos, Cissokho came back from a failed loan at Liverpool, Sanchez wasn't very cheap for his age, Kozak certainly wasn't cheap given the ability he has shown in his career and so on. Let's say we go for a player we value at 3M, it's not like the club is going to say 5M based on an interview Lambert has made. They could of course demand 5M from the start, but that is down to negotiation and meeting in the middle. The players we are looking at are probably a) players not worthy of a spot in his current team in the Premier League, B) loans or c) players from Europe (belonging to clubs with lackluster economy).

The art of selling players is easy. If you want to keep said player, hike up the price and refuse to sell unless the price reaches astronomical figures. If the player is surplus to requirements, you are glad to get rid of him. Would we hike up the price if someone came in for a bid for Luna, Bent or Bennett? Of course not, we would pay for their flights. Would we hike up the price for Vlaar or Benteke? Certainly.

I think we have done good business in this window. Would you consider. £12m for Long or £11m for McCormack good business? Southampton are paying over the odds because people know they're desperate and have money. We got Richardson for £300k with a year left and he looks a good addition. Cissokho never had a good time at Liverpool but at 26 for a player that went for a lot of money in the past we have got another good deal. £4m for a 28 yo isn't a lot I like that we don't go around saying we have this or that and until the window closes we won't know how much we have to spend but ATM we have improved the team and it hasn't cost loads.

We may also be negotiating with players and if they're trying to play hardball for more money it may be a way of scaring them into thinking we're not so arsed

Anyway, shouldn't take anything said in interviews as gospel, means nothing, it's lip service