Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Geoff Cameron apparently having a medical tomorrow according to Twitter

We don't really need another defender. If this isn't BS (like I hope), then I'd begin to think Vlaar was probably on his way.

Not really. Baker and Clark aren't good enough and we need 4 central defenders.

Would have thought we'd need to ship one, or both of them out first. Just speculating really though. Trent says "Nah", anyway. 

Edited by dAVe80

Cameron is decent, to be fair. He is better than Senderos, Clark, and Baker but (obviously) worse than Vlaar. He has been fairly solid at RB for Stoke, even though CB is his best position. He passes well out the back and can do an OK job as a midfielder, if necessary.

Edited by Villain-from-Texas

I don't see 5 centre halves being too many, you want 2 players for every position really and as we may play 3 at the back you could make a case for having 6 centre halves in the squad (obviously supplemented by younger players if needed). so for instance you would want a squad made up of the following:

2x goalkeepers (Guzan, Given)

2x right backs (Hutton, Lowton)

2x left backs (Cissokho, Stevens)

5x centre halves (Vlaar, Okore, Senderos, Baker, Clark)

4x wide midfielders (Bacuna, Richardson, N'Zogbia) - 1 down

5x central midfielders (Delph, Westwood, Sanchez, El Ahmadi, Herd, Gardner, Cole) - 2 up

4x strikers (Benteke, Kozak, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Bent) - 1 up

That's 24 so almost a full squad and not including the additional under-21's that may play. If I was going to make space I'd take it from either the central midfielders or strikers. This is made difficult by having (what I would assume to be) our two main strikers out injured meaning we need cover, so it's quite hard to decide what players we can afford to lose without getting an improvement rather than buying a completely different type of player.

As an American and fan of USMNT, I can tell you that Cameron was a starter, then removed because of bad defensive gaffes where he couldn't defend anyone. He was the bone head who got beat by CR7 to force the final group stage game to mean something.

He's a mistake prone defender. He's huge, and athletic, but...he's not worth it. No thanks.

As an American and fan of USMNT, I can tell you that Cameron was a starter, then removed because of bad defensive gaffes where he couldn't defend anyone. He was the bone head who got beat by CR7 to force the final group stage game to mean something.

He's a mistake prone defender. He's huge, and athletic, but...he's not worth it. No thanks.

Anyone who let's that journeyman beat them isn't good enough for Villa...

Beat by Ronaldo?

What a **** donkey.

• Like 4

Cameron would certainly have his uses in the squad as a utility player as he can play CB, RB or DM and is better than Clark or Herd. Think he wants regular first team football at CB and not sure he'd be worth it for that