Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

I sure rate Zidane and Messi higher. taking nothing away from Ronaldinho there was a time when everytime you watched him play you expected him to do something amazing. I very much doubt we're even entertaining the idea of signing him though.

If Ronaldinho still was nearly as good as he once was he wouldn't play in the brazilian league for £25k/w last season. That league is far from the PL, especially the pace of the game. Of course he's still skillfull, more skillfull than any player we've ever had, but if skill is far from everything that's needed. People thinking he would come now and be something special now really need to learn from history. Yeah, he was better than Joe Cole, a lot better, but at that age having never played in the PLI still think Cole is more suited. Though I doubt Cole will make much of a difference either. We're not bolton from the 00's, are we?

Aston Villa central defender Ron Vlaar, 29, will hold talks with manager Paul Lambert this weekend amid interest from Southampton. Daily Mirror 

I've see this and it baffles me. Why would Vlaar go to Southampton? A club who have just rolled over and received fees to shat out all of their best players to Liverpool and mostly likely giving sloppy seconds to Spuds now too?

Dutch manager looking to poach Dutch talent in easy journalism shocker.

Edit - sorry, just read the tail end of the Vlaar. If he goes, he goes, sod it. Club have been in much worse states over the years and things will all work out well in the end... <riiiiiigggghhht, sigh>

Can't really recall us being linked with anything better than Senderos as a replacement, so maybe that was it?

Edited by Raver50032

Ronaldinho left Flamengo because he wasn't allowed to build a tunnel between his nightclub and his then home in Porto Alegre.

His career has been destroyed by drugs and partying. 

He made himself impossible in both PSG and Barcelona, by the time he did the same at MIlan he was persona non grata in the top European clubs, so he went home to Brazil where he could party in peace. But even there his behaviour has been too much for his clubs.

He will not move to a town like Birmingham. 

Miami, L.A (London), or any party town where there are lots of models or possibly another Brazilian town is where he'll end up

• Like 1

His career isn't destroyed. He's had a few high profile lapses in motivation over his career but has recovered to play excellent football after every one of them.

He's not going to bookies' favourites Boca either:

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/62993__.html?

There's enough partying to be had in Birmingham for a season or two. Ask Carew.

That said, 90% chance he's going to NYCFC or whatever Beckham's Miami franchise will be called. I think that does leave 6 months where he'd be available on loan though. :trollface:

Yes, yes, I know. We're not signing Ronaldinho.

Some random Man U account on twitter thinks we're the club who bid for Tettey. Probably bullshit but thought it'd be worth mentioning if it moves the conversation on from arguing about Ronaldinho...

Ronaldinho is off to QPR apparently so I guess we're all out of luck :(

as much as i like him if he joined QPR then id have no option but to join in with those who think that he's shit and unsuited to the prem...

and it would give me another reason to hate arry

• Like 2

No doubting his skill but I don't consider Ronaldinho a great. He was world-class for like four seasons maximum and then completely declined. Fat Ronaldo ranks a lot higher in my estimation.

I still think he's the best footballer I've ever seen; there's nobody that can do what Ronaldinho can/could.  Ronaldo was basically pace and finishing - phenominal forward, but not a great overall footballer.  Interesting that he gets ranked in many "best ever" lists and Ronaldinho generally doesn't.

Some random Man U account on twitter thinks we're the club who bid for Tettey. Probably bullshit but thought it'd be worth mentioning if it moves the conversation on from arguing about Ronaldinho...

Not sure how I feel about this.  Tettey is the kind of player that we desperately need - but I'm not sure he's the right player for us.

Alex Tettey has claimed that Norwich City rejected a bid for him from an unnamed Premier League club.

Tettey, who joined from French side Rennes in 2012, has made 51 appearances in all competitions for Norwich since making the switch, but was unable to help them avoid relegation last season.

Earlier in the year, Norwich exercised an option in the 28-year-old’s contract to extend his stay at the club until next summer, but he has previously spoken of how he would have to consider any top-flight interest.

Tettey insists his sights are set on clinching promotion in the forthcoming campaign, but admitted that one side had been keen on keeping him in the Premier League.

"The club rejected an offer from a Premier League club, but I cannot say which club it was," he told Norwegian newspaper VG. 

"The Championship will be difficult and tough with 46 matches against hard, fighting teams.

"But I am hoping that we get promoted back to the Premier League directly. It might be exciting in case we get a good start."

Tettey’s agent, Bjorn Tore Kvarme, also claimed that a bid had been lodged for the Norway international, but says that Norwich see him as part of their plans for the new season.

"All I can say is that a Premier League club wanted an exchange. But Norwich said no," Kvarme said.

"They want to keep him, so he can help them get back to the Premier League again.

"He’s got a contract until June 2015. Then, there is not much to do."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9399926/transfer-news-norwich-city-reject-premier-league-bid-for-midfielder-alex-tettey

Looks like they won't budge, especially not to us anyway. Not a chance we'll sign anybody from Norwich IMO.