Midweek football 17/20 Feb

andykeenan

I actually thought he was one of their better players prior to the sending off. That said, you could always sense that he had a big mistake in his locker.

Yeah I thought he was doing well too, made some good challenges, but it always felt like a time bomb and a really bad mistake was inevitable.

As a neutral  :) it looked to me that the ref favoured Barcelona.

as a neutral it looked to me that the ref didnt have a clue what he was doing for half the night, thought he was really poor and inconsistent, as for outside the box, thats the lino's mistake, but dont let that take away from demichelis' stupidity

thought in the 1st half city actually looked comfortable playing european football, that is not barging in to the back of someone holding the ball up, which isnt a foul in the prem but is in the CL, thought they managed to buy more cheap fouls than barca did which was surprising

still think that navas tried to hard after the contact in the build up to the pen

On this point, when does "good football" become boring?

As Villa fans, we've been moaning forever and a day about our style of football. We all wished we passed it more, kept possession more, were more comfrotable on the ball, had better movement etc.

Barcelona are the absolute pinnacle of that. Yet most people on here seem to hate watching them?

It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can do a bit of both.. see Bayern Munich under Heynckes. They controlled possession, but played direct whenever the situation warrented it. Very entertaining to watch. I haven't seen them much under Pep Guardiola so I don't know if that has changed.

Barcelona, atleast in the big games, pass it around in front of the defence for 90 minuntes wating for the other team to tire and lose their concentration. When they do play intricate one-twos and get in to scoring chances it can be very nice moves with lovely passing and dribbles, but watching it in between those momemts is dull.

Barca with Ronalidinho was very different in my memory and much more entertaining.

think difference between Bayern and Barcelona was Bayern can mix it up and change styles when not working, they can get ball to the wing, try a long range effort or throw Mandzukic up front

Barcelona as effective as they have been are very 1 dimensional and teams dont always succeed but they know how to play them now and thats pack defence and let them bore themselves

Arsenal had them beat in 2nd leg last year but lacked teh courage to press on. not the foregone conclusion people are making out and hoping for a good game

interestingly Guardiola never won with Barcelona at Emirates

Arsenal had them beat in 2nd leg last year but lacked teh courage to press on. not the foregone conclusion people are making out and hoping for a good game

interestingly Guardiola never won with Barcelona at Emirates

I think that was more because Arsenal had nothing to play for, they did the exact same thing with Milan a few years ago.

Guardiola's Barca against Arsenal at the Emirates played probably the best football I've ever seen for 45 minutes. Then Walcott came on and Arsenal found a way to hurt them.

Arsenal don't have Walcott and knowing Wenger he won't play Chamberlain, they need pace not wings consisting of Rosicky/Cazorla

They could've played all night and not scored if Citeh didn't have yer man sent off.

I'd argue they would have scored about half a second after the red card, had it not occurred.

Without a doubt! Personally don't think it was a foul on Navas and it was a close call on whether the initial contact on Messi was in or outside the box but it was a deliberate foul so justice prevailed.

Arsenal has gone a bit stale since Walcott's been out. They could still beat any Enligsh side I guess, but I think they might have a few frustrating games for them coming up when they play weaker sides. Next up in the league is Sunderland and Stoke. They've looked much more dangerous when Chamberlain is playing though. He's really the only one for them that runs in the channels and tries to get behind the opposition defence, and Giroud struggles when there's not someone like him making space and streching the defence.

I'm sure they would look a very different side with Ramsey, Walcott and Chamberlain all fit. 

It's like Brian Clough once said.

”The ugliest player I ever signed was Kenny Burns.”

?

"Players lose you games, not tactics"

Which is mostly true I'd imagine, although I guess tactics can be helpful.

Â