The Boring Thread

Spoony

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Yes, quite right. In my defence I was still too busy swooning to check my spelling.

I thought it was the inexperience that left you lost for word :)

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, AJ said:

I was going to procrastinate today, but thought stuff it, I will do that tomorrow.

I think immediately putting it off was a mistake - I'd have delayed a while before postponing the procrastination.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2017 at 20:02, Xela said:

Christ that sounds mind numbingly boring. I couldn't face a second of that. 

The pub signs talk sounds interesting though... 

The talk was alright as it happened. I was the youngest person in the room by a good twenty years, but it was an interesting presentation (the old contemptibles was referenced on one of the slides).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The talk was alright as it happened. I was the youngest person in the room by a good twenty years, but it was an interesting presentation (the old contemptibles was referenced on one of the slides).

I'm actually quite jealous of you! Did the talk take place in an old inn?

21 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That would have been great, but sadly no it, was in a community hall. Between 30 and 40 people were in attendance.

It was interesting, if you like that sort of thing. A fair few things I didn't know. 

Pub signs in England were apparently brought in as a legal requirement during the 1390's. This was so the authorities would have an idea as to where rowdy behaviour may occur.

But pub signs have been around in various forms since the Romans. They basically just drank wine so they hung a grape vine above the door to let people know alcohol was available. In England where ale was the drink of choice, they would hang a bush above the door, hence "The Bush".

The presenter showed the following section of the Bayeux Tapestry. Experts believe that the bush like thing protruding from the building could indicate that this was an ale house.

Interesting. Hence why so many pubs are called The Vine.

King Richard II made it compulsory for inns to have names. His personal emblem was a White Hart. Edwards IV's emblem was the White Lion

The Red Lion comes about from the Scottish King James, who demanded that the red lion of Scotland was displayed on all important buildings.

Yes I've been reading up on it! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Interesting. Hence why so many pubs are called The Vine.

King Richard II made it compulsory for inns to have names. His personal emblem was a White Hart. Edwards IV's emblem was the White Lion

The Red Lion comes about from the Scottish King James, who demanded that the red lion of Scotland was displayed on all important buildings.

Yes I've been reading up on it! 

Yep, James was referenced regarding the red lion. 

The Red Lion is a popular name because like you say, pubs falling im line and keeping in with the establishment of James, but the Red Lion was a popular choice when signs were brought in in the late 14th century. 

Similarly, this is because the authorities were cracking down on rowdiness and so the pubs, wanting to stay in their good books, used the symbol of the most powerful man at the time, who apparently was Richard II's uncle, John of Gaunt. 

The church's involvement in pubs is quite interesting too. Would be worth you looking that up. Their grading system of the strength of alcohol by crosses, can be found today in the name of Castlemaine XXXX.

I'm waiting for mooney to find this conversation and correct every historical detail that's been said so far :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep, James was referenced regarding the red lion. 

The Red Lion is a popular name because like you say, pubs falling im line and keeping in with the establishment of James, but the Red Lion was a popular choice when signs were brought in in the late 14th century. 

Similarly, this is because the authorities were cracking down on rowdiness and so the pubs, wanting to stay in their good books, used the symbol of the most powerful man at the time, who apparently was Richard II's uncle, John of Gaunt. 

The church's involvement in pubs is quite interesting too. Would be worth you looking that up. Their grading system of the strength of alcohol by crosses, can be found today in the name of Castlemaine XXXX.

I'm waiting for mooney to find this conversation and correct every historical detail that's been said so far :D

The naming convention of pubs changed post Henry VIII"s split from the Catholic church as well. Instead of names like Cross Keys (sign of St Peter) they became generic royal names like Kings Arms, Kings Head and The Crown.

At the age of 38 I find my interests being non league football, real ale, pub signage history, classic trains and retro hi-fi separates. My Tinder profile would make for desperate reading!

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

As Count Arthur Strong once so memorably put it - "Not my area of expertise... I'M AFRAID!!!" 

Although I have previously posted in the Piss You Off thread, lamenting the decline of traditional pub signs - far too many beautifully painted ones being replaced by boring generic script-on-sage-green monstrosities. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

pubs, wanting to stay in their good books, used the symbol of the most powerful man at the time, who apparently was Richard II's uncle, John of Gaunt. 

There's a pub called the John O'Gaunt in Lancaster. It's quite OK. You can get nice pasties from a shop nearby, too.

• Like 2

To add a little more detail, a more thorough review, if you like - the pub is called "ye olde John o'gaunt" and is actually better than quite ok. And if I may also make a comment about the pasties from the Cornish pasty shop round the corner from it, they are the best pasties I've had since I lived in Cornwall. I hope that's not too much enthusiasm for the boring thread. I'd hate to go down the same road as another contributor and really breach the spirit of the place.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

pubs, wanting to stay in their good books, used the symbol of the most powerful man at the time, who apparently was Richard II's uncle, John of Gaunt. 

Blimey, he's lasted a long time, he was on the Jeremy Vine show a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

Â