The Boring Thread

Spoony

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

spending a quiet evening deciphering old grave stones

32487394165_c97804606c.jpg

HEERE LYETH THE BODYES OF THE FIVE CHILDREN...

And people say our education system is failing , spelling back then was atrocious 

• Like 3

Can't beat a sunny winter's day having a rummage around an old graveyard.

The church was covered in stone monkeys, climbing all over the stonework. Singles, pairs, mums with kids. 

Anyway, I googled up that Christover Boone of Exeter / Tiverton named on that stone and he had a surviving son, George. George had a son, called...George. That George, Chris's grandson, became a Quaker and sailed to the colonies to start a new life in Exeter, Philadelphia.

Boring Thread. 

31678688983_fa8d0b5f8d_n.jpg

• Like 2

A contribution from Michael Nesmith (formerly of The Monkees), from his Facebook page...

During the Monkees TV show's original airings in the 1960's GM gave each of us a new Pontiac GTO to drive for a year. They were really a gas to drive -- no pun intended -- well-- maybe a little pun -- and I had a great time blasting around with mine.

It was about the time that the incipient stage of Celebrity Psychosis had started to set in my thinking -- I discuss this in my new book "Infinite Tuesday" out April 18 -- or so.

I won't give as complete account here as I do in the book -- and the whole notion of it is kind of a riff that occurred to me in the 1980's. It's not really psychosis in the literal or scientific sense of the word -- but like all riffs that work, it is a true thing.

It was kind of like this -- although I am telling you now to promote my new book -- and to give you a little taste -- this anecdote is not in the book. This is just a riff on a riff.

I was in my new GTO-- black coupe, two door, and I had the windows tinted dark --almost black. One could not see in from the outside. The guys at GM Pontiac were a little non-plussed -- but that's the way we rolled in the 60's when we were copying the Beatles. They all had black windows on their cars. Harrison's car was a Radford Mini with black windows -- first i saw and I vowed to have black windows and so I did -- on my GTO. It was soo cool -- but that's another story.

So -- there was a kind of emergency -- maybe it was fire -- maybe it was national -- maybe it was a sewer flood in the Sepulveda Basin in Los Angeles -- whatever it was the streets were blocked off and there were Police, Fire and Rescue, ParaMedics, Choppers, and maybe even the military.

CP memory is not all that great.

I decided to "investigate" and I hopped into my black on black on black GTO and crawled out into the LA night toward the "trouble" 

The first barrier was unattended so I just drove around it. So was the next one and even closer to the action, closer to the scene. 

Now, I started really "investigating". I was driving really slow. The dark windows made it hard to see out at night. I peered around looking for the action, looking for a role I could play in it -- preferably a hero.

I couldn't see much -- but I decided to turn on my emergency flashers and cruise even deeper into the territory. That's when it happened -- now only in memory because Celebrity Psychotics live in their own world without much awareness of reality/

The flashers are what did it for me. 

The car driving slowly along -- with the flashers on -- I had become a part of the rescue spy army -- thing -- whatever it was. I was in charge. I was top dog.

It was real, I had flashing lights, I had a sleek black car, I was the Chief, the head of the whole operation. It was very very real. After a while I realized nothing much was happening so I went home.

True story.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've had the same mobile number for 14 years. Can anyone beat that?

Yes. Since 1994 - although it got an extra digit added in 1997

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I would be interested in who has the oldest phone ? I think that discussion alone would give the thread a little boost.  

PA-1264356.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's too quiet on VT tonight for my liking. It seems everytime I start posting more frequent it goes quiet then when I don't it's busy. I can't make head or tail out of it.

We all go to the secret forum when you come online.

:trollface: 

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's too quiet on VT tonight for my liking. It seems everytime I start posting more frequent it goes quiet then when I don't it's busy. I can't make head or tail out of it.

e8ca06a45007db5537fde2c1a0898cad_-one-around-here-meme-am-its-quiet-memes_460-320.jpeg

I've had my phone for 3 and a half years now, before that I was upgrading every 3-6 months so I must have saved a fortune. I'm going to keep it until it breaks and see hoiw long I can get out of it. Apart from a few scuffs on the  sides, it still looks pretty much brand new.

No idea how long I've had the number for. At least 12 years.

Â