Your The Most Overrated Aston Villa Player Of All Time?

villa-revolution

In the spirit of being controversial how about Laurson?

Was one of the best headers of the ball I have seen but his tendancy to come tearing out of the defencive line only to miss the tackle did leave us exposed at times.

Don't know if it's that controversial. I think most people are happy to admit they overrate him based on his tendency to be a bit mental. His ability was genuine though and he had that all action hero vibe that we all love and which suited our counter attacking style of the time to a t. He deserves his legendary status based on that alone IMO. The goals helped.

Well in terms of overrated managers (and I know a lot will go for Paul Lambert) GT has to be overrated for me

Don't disagree with you Richard, however he performed a minor miracle getting us back up at the first opportunity (I don't think PL is overrated though)

In danger of going OT but I'd just ask,  did he?  I mean he did play up his import with the famous "this club is in a mess"comment. But did he do anymore than another manager could have done at the time?

The season under McNeil was the worst one I can remember, the whole club appeared to be in intensive care due to the lack of investment and piss poor managerial appointments by Herbert. I think if we hadn't been promoted at the first attempt we would've continued the downward spiral.

The football under GT wasn't great especially when you consider he signed players like Steve Sims and David Hunt but he achieved his aim in getting us back up. I don't think there were too many other candidates that would've done that. 

One final point - how difficult was it watching Andy Gray during the relegation season? Not a great way to be remembered in a Villa shirt....

I don't know if GTMk1 was overrated or not, but he bought Platt, Yorke and God, probably our 3 best players in the last 25 years or so. So I don't think it was just anything most could've done.

• Like 2

Graham Taylor in his first spell was certainly not overrated. To leave us in the position he did, after all the sh*t we'd been through in the previous couple of years was a minor miracle.

On a side note, I judge people who follow football on their opinion of GT (assuming they're old enough to remember). Anyone who can offer nothing, other than talk of "Do I not like that", is dead to me.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

To see Juan Pablo's name in this thread makes me feel sick. the guy was an unbelievable technician, one of the best header of a ball I have seen, his spring was ridiculous.

alan Thompson gets my vote, along with sasa curcic.

Poor old JPA was never the same after that knee injury was he? Typical of Villa's luck he sustained it just after signing a new £40 k pw contract extension too. :(

Edited by villa-revolution

think Angel suffered a lot through bad service but I think his spring was underrated and movement was too good for some of our players why he was always offside. His teamwork with Baros for a goal vs Everton was one of best goals ive seen Villa score.

even his last season I thought he did OK on his last legs for MON and had a decent return and think one of last things he did was elbow Chris Morgan which was good as well :)

• Like 1

Stephen Ireland, based on the fact he disgracefully won POTS in 2011/12

Yeah a good call. Put that in your shisha pipe & smoke it SI you complete waster.

He was one of our better peformers under Mcleish though. At the time I thought he should have won POTS and I think he won most man of the match votes on here? He was terrible to have at the club with the amount of money we wasted given his return on the pitch but revisionism doesn't change the fact that he was actually one bright spark in a very dark season.

Stefan and Luke Moore.

There's always a natural reaction to over-hype our youth but this was on another level.

can be linked to rooney though, almost as if villa fans were sticking their fingers up at the pundits and journos who were rubbing themselves raw over him, our 2 played better, scored more goals and we won

that somehow got turned in to them pair being somewhere near as good

Steven Ireland for me the cretin, The amount of times I had arguments with people over this bloke is unbelievable. Cant believe the amount of people who still thought he could do a good job for us up until the day he went to stoke. He clearly never cared about the villa, and was only interested in the ££££. The way he would half arse jog around the pitch infuriated me. im getting mad thinking about seeing him in the claret and blue shirt now. complete and utter tosser!

Edited by Uncle Albert
  • Like 3

Stephen Ireland, based on the fact he disgracefully won POTS in 2011/12

Yeah a good call. Put that in your shisha pipe & smoke it SI you complete waster.

Agreed. So many times I thought Ireland would come good but he just failed to deliver.

alan Thompson gets my vote, along with sasa curcic.

x2 I'd forgotten about those two. Thompson was shite but would occasionally score a screamer with his left foot. Curcic believed his hype from Bolton

Also, Mustapha Hadji. Was player of the tournament at one African cup of nations if I remember and then did nothing ever again.

Well in terms of overrated managers (and I know a lot will go for Paul Lambert) GT has to be overrated for me

I am surprised someone of your vintage has said that Richard. You'd be as aware as I am just how much of a mess this great club was in when he came in. For the way he turned this club around in such a short amount of time was nothing short of remarkable. The club was in a massive decline. He got it going in a forward momentum within months. He turned us from an absolute shambles of a club that had just been relegated to the second tier, was on its knees and rotten from top to bottom to one that finished runners up in the top flight all within three years.

Whilst achieving the above he purchased unknowns in Platt and Yorke for less than 500k for the two of them. Those two players went on to be sold for over 17 million and the sale of Platt alone allowed Atkinson to build half a team. He of course also purchased God. From top to bottom, from canteen to board room he reshaped the club. He managed to do all this whilst also keeping Ellis in check.

The guy deserves the freedom of Birmingham for what he did. Overrated? absolutely no chance it would be impossible to over rate Graham Taylor during his first spell.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Â