Your The Most Overrated Aston Villa Player Of All Time?

villa-revolution

I thought Stilyan Petrov was hugely overrated when he played for us during MON's time here, but I didnt quite appreciate the important role he played until that team was broken up, and we've hugely missed a player like him since he fell ill.

Gary cahill, 1 great goal, couldn't recall a single decent performance in a villa shirt. I still think he's shit now.

I have to admit that you do have a point there cv. It always amazed me how easily John Carew would bully him to pieces when we played Bolton Wanderer's. I think ultimately this lack of presence was why MON let him go in the first place.

• Like 1

Yeah, Petrov was never rated (and in fact hideously underrated) for the majority of his time here so how can he be overrated? I don't think the praise he's got since 11/12 overrides years of under-appreciation.

I don't agree with this. I can't think of another player that split opinion so much on here and on other Villa forums. 

Yeah, Petrov was never rated (and in fact hideously underrated) for the majority of his time here so how can he be overrated? I don't think the praise he's got since 11/12 overrides years of under-appreciation.

I don't agree with this. I can't think of another player that split opinion so much on here and on other Villa forums. 

NRC

I always felt Nigel Reo Coker divided opinion the most but there you go. For reasons stated in the OP I always rated him highly.

Gary cahill, 1 great goal, couldn't recall a single decent performance in a villa shirt. I still think he's shit now.

Great shout.

Forgot him off my original list. Terrible.

From the Steven Taylor school of last ditch tackles having been caught out of position.

Getting turned inside out by Kenny Miller only a few months ago had me :lol:

• Like 2

Have to say Downing, I dont think he was massively overrated but he has no pace and can barely beat a man, a half decent cross if you are lucky.

He had some okay performances but probably made to look a lot better than he was by playing with, Barry, Young, Milner, Carew etc. Kind of shows now too, I mean we got 20m for him, still laugh at that fee now.

Yeah I laugh at where that 20 million has gone

• Like 1

Also, Mustapha Hadji. Was player of the tournament at one African cup of nations if I remember and then did nothing ever again.

was too much of a flair player for the management at the time, I remember one game vs United under Taylor he was our best attacker and then hardly played for rest of season

I don't agree with Gary Cahill being overrated. I thought he was raw, but decent enough, and that he'd progress into a good defender.

How much can people overrate someone when they go on to play for Chelsea, win a Champions League medal and Europa League medal, and then feature regularly for one the world's best club managers.

Unless people were saying that he is world class then, yeah, he was overrated.

David Ginola

Patrik Berger

John Fashanu

Chris Sutton

Stan Collymore

Darius Vassel

Lee Hendrie

Ricardo Smicae

Bosko Balaban

Steve Sidwell

Nicky Shorey

Gary Cahill