Your The Most Overrated Aston Villa Player Of All Time?

villa-revolution

My mate played with Shorey when they were younger.

He said he was absolute shite in a really good youth team and it was only because his Dad/Uncle was academy coach at Orient he got his break.

I thought he looked pretty good at times for Reading to be fair but largely rubbish for us.

Too many in here that everyone thinks are rubbish, surely they can't be that overrated?!

Well in terms of overrated managers (and I know a lot will go for Paul Lambert) GT has to be overrated for me

I am surprised someone of your vintage has said that Richard. You'd be as aware as I am just how much of a mess this great club was in when he came in. For the way he turned this club around in such a short amount of time was nothing short of remarkable. The club was in a massive decline. He got it going in a forward momentum within months. He turned us from an absolute shambles of a club that had just been relegated to the second tier, was on its knees and rotten from top to bottom to one that finished runners up in the top flight all within three years.

Whilst achieving the above he purchased unknowns in Platt and Yorke for less than 500k for the two of them. Those two players went on to be sold for over 17 million and the sale of Platt alone allowed Atkinson to build half a team. He of course also purchased God. From top to bottom, from canteen to board room he reshaped the club. He managed to do all this whilst also keeping Ellis in check.

The guy deserves the freedom of Birmingham for what he did. Overrated? absolutely no chance it would be impossible to over rate Graham Taylor during his first spell.

I did say it would be a controversial opinion Mark

Even more so after you saying Lambert is our best manager in 25 years!

I think I actually said best managerial appointment in 30 years,  but there you go wouldn't life be boring if we all had the same opinion

• Like 1

Yeah, couldn't remember exactly, knew it was a real statement though!

I won't argue he's got the potential but you could say anyone who takes the reins has potential.

GT still well above him for me.

Even more so after you saying Lambert is our best manager in 25 years!

I think I actually said best managerial appointment in 30 years,  but there you go wouldn't life be boring if we all had the same opinion

Well you let yourself wide open to ridicule with that one.

Well in terms of overrated managers (and I know a lot will go for Paul Lambert) GT has to be overrated for me

well...I'm aware that it's an opinion and you are entitled to it, but wow!!!

If we are talking Graham Taylor Mk1 he just about overhauled the club in his stay and put it on a sound footing, before departing for England....and brought in just about some of the best players in our history, for next to nothing, Platt,McGrath,Yorke,Neilsen

Interested, how you arrived at that call or did you forget to to type, lol.

well...I'm aware that it's an opinion and you are entitled to it, but wow!!!

If we are talking Graham Taylor Mk1 he just about overhauled the club in his stay and put it on a sound footing, before departing for England....and brought in just about some of the best players in our history, for next to nothing, Platt,McGrath,Yorke,Neilsen

Interested, how you arrived at that call or did you forget to to type, lol.

Didn't GT also buy Crouch. Nobody understood that at the time.

Â