Your The Most Overrated Aston Villa Player Of All Time?

villa-revolution

Paul Merson for me, we never played as a team with him in it. Whenever anyone got the ball, pass it to Merson and he'd probably hit one pass out of ten that turned out to be a good ball.he was an ok player in my book. Don't know why everyone treats him like a genius, if another player got the service he had I'm sure they would be equally as good.

• Like 1

Sigh... Has this turned into a 'Think of any villa player you can' thread ? Bouma !?!? Like seriously...

If anything very under rated IMO 

Back OT: I know he's not now, but he used to be massively hyped about. Nathan Delfouneso. Really did not get the hype. Like at all. Since i can remember, hes never looked bothered if he plays in a villa shirt or not.

Edited by kevangrealish

Paul Merson for me, we never played as a team with him in it. Whenever anyone got the ball, pass it to Merson and he'd probably hit one pass out of ten that turned out to be a good ball.he was an ok player in my book. Don't know why everyone treats him like a genius, if another player got the service he had I'm sure they would be equally as good.

Totally agree. He would go missing for long periods and would pull out the miraculous at times......

... because that is all he ever did. A simple pass to a player in a better position? Nope - I'll try lobbing the keeper from fully 60 yards. :angry:

I've never understood the esteem given to him by so many Villa fans - especially when compared to Hendrie, another Villa player in the same midfield role who had just as many off-field issues yet was derided by many.

Freddy Bouma was great

When he first come to the club everyone including myself was claiming he was fat to slow for the premier league not good enough e.t.c he worked hard got fit and was a great fullback for us

That injury he got was so unfortunate he even fought back from that to play football again

He was not overrated more underrated like a previous poster said

Totally agree. He would go missing for long periods and would pull out the miraculous at times......

... because that is all he ever did. A simple pass to a player in a better position? Nope - I'll try lobbing the keeper from fully 60 yards. :angry:

I've never understood the esteem given to him by so many Villa fans - especially when compared to Hendrie, another Villa player in the same midfield role who had just as many off-field issues yet was derided by many.

Can't agree with you there ozvillafan - One thing every body loved about `Merse` was that he was never afraid to gamble either on or off the pitch.

Edited by villa-revolution

Anyone who thinks McGrath is over rated is wrong beyond belief. Giants Stadium, 94 World Cup, Italy vs Ireland. The single greatest defensive display by any player I've ever seen. That's no exaggeration either. Paul McGrath was magic. He's worthy of the name God.

And he'd lost the use of an arm in that game too

You're a brave man R,Bear - The above post is heresy & you will have to live with the guilt of this post forever.

However, you are fully entitled to this view & that's a fact. Even after decapitation :P )

AVTuco wanted to say it but didnt dare. I did. I'm not in the business of saying what people want to hear. I tell it like it is. Or at least how I think it is for better or worse.

R.Bear, sorry for causing you trouble. I just wrote it and hit the bed, knowing what would probably happen. Now I'm back and yes, that's who I meant.

I don't have any better reasoning to it than reading all the threads like the best ever d-man thread. And there's no logic that could dictate an answer to this. Just a gut feeling.

But yes, it was definitely a controversial statement, and could've been left unsaid. But, funnily enough, I think quite many understood who I meant.

Edited by AVTuco

For me it's Lee Hendrie - who was praised and lauded for being a 'local lad' and alleged Villa fan (although most of his family and friends in the Shard were noses)

Hendrie undoubtedly had talent but actually never lived upto expectations - he only seemed to show what he was capable of in small flashes (generally around contract renewal time) and spent most of his time embarassing himself and the club by being pissed up in Solihull and Birmingham centres.

But for some - Hendrie was a legend.. to me he was a failure who never appeared to grasp the talent he did possess.

(Why hasn't somebody mentioned Ethan Moore yet???? Player of his generation at one point ;) )

• Like 2

I can agree with the angel comments and also in parts the young (good player yes, but not a great). I'd also add Carew to that list. When he could be bothered he was unplayable, but those days became less and less frequent. When he was on the bench the crowd would cheer for him to come on but at times his impact was so poor.

Yeah Hitz was probably the most overrated.

But I will name one...who's loved and who I loved, but I think is vastly overrated.

Martin Laursen.

He got caught trying to win balls miles away from where he should be so often. He was such an exciting centre back because of this but was caught quite often. McGrath, Southgate and Ehiougu were miles ahead of him.

Petrov talk has riled me somewhat.

How can he have been over-rated? We spent most of the time slating him while he played for us, he never (barely ever) has his name sung by the crowd and often came in for undue stick.

He was absolutely outstanding when sitting in a 3 man midfield, particularly when he had Barry and Another ahead of him.

It was his intelligence that allowed Milner to flourish in a 2 man midfield, something he's not been able to emulate since.

He's probably the most underrated player of recent times, not overrated.

Yeah I agree with this completely.

Disagree, personally.

He was seen as a stalwart of our midfield but he simply did nothing.  Dallied on the ball too often, was often robbed of the ball in a more defensive midfield position meaning attacks were straight onto us.  Experienced head, nice guy but overrated (again, in my opinion).

Disagree, personally.

He was seen as a stalwart of our midfield but he simply did nothing.  Dallied on the ball too often, was often robbed of the ball in a more defensive midfield position meaning attacks were straight onto us.  Experienced head, nice guy but overrated (again, in my opinion).

Bollocks. Imo.

• Like 2

Â