Your The Most Overrated Aston Villa Player Of All Time?

villa-revolution

Like any player, he had his weaknesses and made mistakes. But, this isn't a debate on our best ever player, there's 2 sides of the story to consider. He will go down in history as a good player, perhaps somewhere between good and excellent, but no one is calling him anymore than that, and no one ever did. It's not like he gets the Milner/Laursen treatment. He was chronically undervalued when he played for us, and people are probably starting to just about appreciate the work he did for us. No one has ever given him more praise than he's been due - hence he's not overrated.

In the spirit of being controversial how about Laurson?

Was one of the best headers of the ball I have seen but his tendancy to come tearing out of the defencive line only to miss the tackle did leave us exposed at times.

Edited by LondonLax

Easy

76_salifou_1412492a.jpg

The Man, The Myth, The Legend - but undeniably overrated.

He was a cult legend, but I don't think you can call him overrated. I mean, I can't recall anyone calling him good. Hardly even decent. Ok, he wasn't good enough for the PL, so maybe you can claim that MON overrated him, but I just think he took a chance on him for peanuts and realised that he wasn't really up for it in the long run.

I can agree on Laursen, that someone mentioned. Really good defender, but I've heard some comparing him to the overrated McGrath, but he wasn't nearly as good as him.

Yeah, Petrov was never rated (and in fact hideously underrated) for the majority of his time here so how can he be overrated? I don't think the praise he's got since 11/12 overrides years of under-appreciation.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Yah, I agree with those who says Petrov was more underrated than overrated. He did a good job even when most thought he was bad. One should also remember that he played out of position to the right most of the time in his first season here.

Nii Lamptey was dubbed the new Pele and had been a star at PSV.

I think a lot of people are confusing "most overrated player" with "Players who I think aren't quite as good as everyone else does"

Wouldn't that be the definition of an objective view of overrated?

• Like 1

Easy

76_salifou_1412492a.jpg

The Man, The Myth, The Legend - but undeniably overrated.

He was a cult legend, but I don't think you can call him overrated. I mean, I can't recall anyone calling him good. Hardly even decent.

Adebeyor, Togolese Zidane, etc.

Nii Lamptey was dubbed the new Pele and had been a star at PSV.

I think a lot of people are confusing "most overrated player" with "Players who I think aren't quite as good as everyone else does"

Wouldn't that be the definition of an objective view of overrated?

most overrated

Tony Cascarino.

Hmmm, I wouldn't say he was overrated, as I never rated him at all. I recall everyone pretty much blamed him for us not winning the league the year we signed him. I thought he was a carthorse, and he did nothing to change my mind. The only good thing about him was he his name fitted in at the end of one of my favourite Villa songs to sing when pissed up in the pub!

Tony Cascarino.

Hmmm, I wouldn't say he was overrated, as I never rated him at all. I recall everyone pretty much blamed him for us not winning the league the year we signed him. I thought he was a carthorse, and he did nothing to change my mind. The only good thing about him was he his name fitted in at the end of one of my favourite Villa songs to sing when pissed up in the pub!

Alot of money with very little return though.

As good as GT was for us during his first spell as a manager, it still puzzles me that we signed Cascarino rather than his strike partner at the time.

• Like 2

Well in terms of overrated managers (and I know a lot will go for Paul Lambert) GT has to be overrated for me

Don't disagree with you Richard, however he performed a minor miracle getting us back up at the first opportunity (I don't think PL is overrated though)

Well in terms of overrated managers (and I know a lot will go for Paul Lambert) GT has to be overrated for me

Don't disagree with you Richard, however he performed a minor miracle getting us back up at the first opportunity (I don't think PL is overrated though)

In danger of going OT but I'd just ask,  did he?  I mean he did play up his import with the famous "this club is in a mess"comment. But did he do anymore than another manager could have done at the time?

Â