Steven Defour

Avflife

Media link club will player.

Media say club don’t want player.

Villa fans kick off at club.

pretty much

Can't wait for the "We can't even beat Huddersfield to a signing!" posts when we don't sign Nakhi Wells

They'd be nearly as bad as the "Wells would be a great signing" posts. Like with Dale Stevens, some are more than happy with the possibility of signing shit just to show that faith in the manager.

Or maybe some people genuinely think they'll be good signings, idk.

I reckon we were never in for Defour besides a cursory check.

Just an agent drumming up interest. When have we ever signed a player whose agent mentioned us?

The way Kendrick has said 'not pursuing' to me means we did have an interest.

The club really can't win. VT's threads are full of abuse for handing out transfer fees and contracts for the likes of Ireland, Given, N'Zogbia, Hutton etc etc... because of how badly it's hamstrung the club financially.

When the club are now showing restraint in making these signings, as looks to me to be the case here, they're getting hammered for not spending. 

I reckon Defour is expensive (in both fees and salary), and the decision has been made that they can get better value. If that's the case it has to be respected in my book.

Well since MON left I can't think of a single who we have signed then sold at a profit? Bad managerial appointments and then the cost of sacking and replacing them have also hamstrung the club! And the bad managers also make bad signings surprisingly enough!

The club really can't win. VT's threads are full of abuse for handing out transfer fees and contracts for the likes of Ireland, Given, N'Zogbia, Hutton etc etc... because of how badly it's hamstrung the club financially.

When the club are now showing restraint in making these signings, as looks to me to be the case here, they're getting hammered for not spending.

I reckon Defour is expensive (in both fees and salary), and the decision has been made that they can get better value. If that's the case it has to be respected in my book.

Theres a massive in between of what we did and what we're doing.

I reckon we were never in for Defour besides a cursory check.

Just an agent drumming up interest. When have we ever signed a player whose agent mentioned us?

The way Kendrick has said 'not pursuing' to me means we did have an interest.

Well since MON left I can't think of a single who we have signed then sold at a profit? Bad managerial appointments and then the cost of sacking and replacing them have also hamstrung the club! And the bad managers also make bad signings surprisingly enough!

The cumulative loss on transfers by the "Bad managers" probably only equates to that of O'Neill...despite a few face saving outgoings.

Edited by TRO

I like the idea of young, hungry players that improves at our club. But the problem is that young upcoming players need exprienced players to help them improve. Players that have been around and know a trick or

two. Experienced quality players that don't shit themselves playing at home in front of 40.000 demanding homesupporters.

We don't need more talented prospects (we have plenty). We need to mix it up a bit. And it's a shame that Lerner doesn't see that and protects his investment better.

You can't compare Aston Villa FC with Norwich, Swansea, Southampton (after their time in lower Leagues) etc theire fans are just happy "to be invited to the party), therefore the preassure to stay competitive at lest top 10 battling for a place in one of the European cups is much higher.

That's why I get disappointed every time we are linked with someone like Defour and turns out to be just a rumour...

Here's a little advice: Don't believe in everything you read and build your hopes on it. It happens that newspapers and other medias just make things up. I know, sounds terrifying, doesn't it?

Pelle on the contrary I am very sceptic to what papers says especially during silly season(stupid thing to say) as you can see I am describing what I think a lot of supporters feel. We need to sign well experienced players aswell as young prospects that I believe we need that to get the young a chance to develop without having to take all the heat and preassure it's not about Defour it's about us not signing anything with experience AND quality. someone who would walk straight in almost ever y PL team.

And its has nothing to do with me believing what the press fabricates. Its just happens to be in a thread were we are linked (again) with a player that I think would do very well for us. So please don't patronise like I am some kind of 12 year old school boy, idiot!

well, why do you get disappointed and frustrated then, when you don't believe it anyway? Sounds a bit contradicting to me. If I read a story I don't believe in in the first place I don't get upset when I realise that it in fact wasn't true.

Ok smartass, I didn't believe we were going to sign him. That doesn't mean I can't get dissapointed when Kendrick "confirms" that we are not after him. I mean hopeing is not the same thing as believing it's going to happen. If you buy a lotteryticket in the "eurolottery" you don't think you are going to win £100M, but you probably hope you'll do....

So stop being childish and trying to see something that's not really there, it's just boring!

Edited by Eric

I like the idea of young, hungry players that improves at our club. But the problem is that young upcoming players need exprienced players to help them improve. Players that have been around and know a trick or

two. Experienced quality players that don't shit themselves playing at home in front of 40.000 demanding homesupporters.

We don't need more talented prospects (we have plenty). We need to mix it up a bit. And it's a shame that Lerner doesn't see that and protects his investment better.

You can't compare Aston Villa FC with Norwich, Swansea, Southampton (after their time in lower Leagues) etc theire fans are just happy "to be invited to the party), therefore the preassure to stay competitive at lest top 10 battling for a place in one of the European cups is much higher.

That's why I get disappointed every time we are linked with someone like Defour and turns out to be just a rumour...

Here's a little advice: Don't believe in everything you read and build your hopes on it. It happens that newspapers and other medias just make things up. I know, sounds terrifying, doesn't it?

Pelle on the contrary I am very sceptic to what papers says especially during silly season(stupid thing to say) as you can see I am describing what I think a lot of supporters feel. We need to sign well experienced players aswell as young prospects that I believe we need that to get the young a chance to develop without having to take all the heat and preassure it's not about Defour it's about us not signing anything with experience AND quality. someone who would walk straight in almost ever y PL team.

And its has nothing to do with me believing what the press fabricates. Its just happens to be in a thread were we are linked (again) with a player that I think would do very well for us. So please don't patronise like I am some kind of 12 year old school boy, idiot!

well, why do you get disappointed and frustrated then, when you don't believe it anyway? Sounds a bit contradicting to me. If I read a story I don't believe in in the first place I don't get upset when I realise that it in fact wasn't true.

Ok smartass, I didn't believe we were going to sign him. That doesn't mean I can't get dissapointed when Kendrick "confirms" that we are not after him. I mean hopeing is not the same thing as believing it's going to happen. If you buy a lotteryticket in the "eurolottery" you don't think you are going to win £100M, but you probably hope you'll do....

So stop being childish and trying to see something that's not really there, it's just boring!

I really shouldn't be dragged in to this, but who's being childish calling people idiot and smatass, and for that matter childish? Get off it!

So stop being childish and trying to see something that's not really there, it's

I really shouldn't be dragged in to this, but who's being childish calling people idiot and smatass, and for that matter childish? Get off it!

Pelle I was not calling "people" things, only you. Because haven't been patronised on this forum before by anyone else. It was you that tried to be funny at my expense, Reading things in what I posted that wasn't there.

To be honest, I was quite surprised it was coming from you. I mean with 14.000 post, wich I have read quite a few I didn't see it coming.

By the way you're not getting dragged into anything because you started it. And you don't have to worry about this getting into a long debate, as it won't.

Edited by Eric

I suppose an argument against the signing of Defour was that he seems to be a player very much in need of a pick-up and unfortunately we're a team very much in need of a pick-up, which isn't a great scenario really - much like Stephen Ireland when he joined us, a low confidence player going into a low confidence team.

Could work both ways though. A fresh start at a club who he will most likely be one of our best with a manager who believed in him could have done wonders.

I just hope were in for someone of similar quality as Defour. Fingers crossed.

Could work both ways though. A fresh start at a club who he will most likely be one of our best with a manager who believed in him could have done wonders.

Agreed on both points. Any signing is a risk, really. 

Agreed on both points. Any signing is a risk, really. 

Very true. Luc Nilis being a good case for that. Cracking player. Sad how it eventuated.

Luc Nilis being a good case for that. Cracking player. Sad how it eventuated.

"Sad" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Apart from the pretty tragic effect on Nilis himself, it happened at one of those potential turning points for Aston Villa. True to form, what might have lifted the club permanently into the top bracket turned into yet another disappointment.

Luc Nilis being a good case for that. Cracking player. Sad how it eventuated.

"Sad" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Apart from the pretty tragic effect on Nilis himself, it happened at one of those potential turning points for Aston Villa. True to form, what might have lifted the club permanently into the top bracket turned into yet another disappointment.

Yeah i remember. Terrible luck.

So stop being childish and trying to see something that's not really there, it's

Pelle I was not calling "people" things, only you. Because haven't been patronised on this forum before by anyone else. It was you that tried to be funny at my expense, Reading things in what I posted that wasn't there.

To be honest, I was quite surprised it was coming from you. I mean with 14.000 post, wich I have read quite a few I didn't see it coming.

By the way you're not getting dragged into anything because you started it. And you don't have to worry about this getting into a long debate, as it won't.

Ok, I can see my part of it. Over reacted a bit from being irritated already reading other posts and your just followed, sts. Sorry about that. I can still think that the disappointment would be smaller if you already believed it wasn't true, but yeah, one can still get a bit disappointed.

But still, I am "people" and you called me an idiot which is post on poster and it won't help your argument and I think it was a bit too much. But I hope we can let that be it for now. And fwiw, I agree with some parts of the rest of your post. We need to mix it up. But I don't think we can get enough talent, if you know what I mean. And actually, Defour is PL-wise just a talent and not experienced. But I'd like it if we signed him, which we won't.

Better? :)

And Rob, never put your money on me in a fight. :P I've never been in one in my whole life and I'm probably quite shite on it. :)

• Like 1

Â