2014 Holiday Plans

Xela

Looking at going to Amsterdam and Bruges in the summer and driving between the two. Any suggestions of somewhere in between or within drivable distance that is worth a couple of days? Paris, Antwerp, Brussels? Back out to Western Germany perhaps?

i've heard groningen is nice around the 2nd august...

That's the first stop! 

• Like 1

Me and the family (Wife and three year old boy) are off to Malaysia end of April for one month visiting the In-laws; can't wait.

Jungles, beaches, wildlife, mountains, Kuala Lumpur, great food and lots of drinking! Been clean-living and healthy for so long now in preparation for this trip ;)

• Like 1

I'm also looking at a Belgium - Netherlands - Germany trip next month and need to get a sensible itinerary. Aiming on ending up in Berlin for the last few days but before that also considering Brussels, Antwerp, Utrecht, Groningen, Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Hamburg as possible destinations. Reckon that's a massive hit of old culture to get through! But across 3 weeks I also want to relax a bit too rather than constant travel.

Presently in Rythymnon in Crete and I can't recommend highly enough the youth hostel here it is terrific, though April/May or Sept/Oct are best as it does get very very busy in peak months.

VT travel advice please.

The missus is 40 later this year and a surprise week somewhere in October is on the cards, kids not included.

Done Vegas before but very tempted to return there. Also thinking of first time trip to Dubai.

Any thoughts of recommendations?

VT travel advice please.

The missus is 40 later this year and a surprise week somewhere in October is on the cards, kids not included.

Done Vegas before but very tempted to return there. Also thinking of first time trip to Dubai.

I like Dubai but its a wee bit sterile and not everyone's cup of tea , not sure i'd pick that one for a 40th

What does she like , is she a lay on the beach type person or into sightseeing and culture ?

I have wondered whether Dubai might be a bit like that but we have friends who go there regularly and adore the place.

We both like R&R but we are not ones for laying on sun loungers all day, every day. Ideally somewhere nice and warm with the best of both worlds, sunshine when we want it and sightseeing/entertainment when required.

We couldnt give a flying feck about culture!!

Problem with Dubai is the beaches aren't that great  ,they are man made and have been dredged ... snorkel off Jumariah beach and you'll be lucky to see a fish  .. but it offers you sun by day and then over to the mall to ski by night , for a short break I still enjoy going there .. One option to consider is Fujairah ... it's an hour or so drive from Dubai itself but you'd be well away from the shopping malls and it's natural beaches ( Indian Ocean ) rather than man made ...have a look at Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach resort  ... possibly might be too quiet for you though

For a 40th though ,  I reckon back to Vegas would be your best bet  , you'll def be entertained there :) 

I've always got the impression that Dubai is mainly full of posers... WAGs, TOWIE wannabes etc. I may be wrong as never been there (apart from a night at the airport) but that's what I Imagine. 

VT travel advice please.

Wolverhampton

• Like 2

I've always got the impression that Dubai is mainly full of posers... WAGs, TOWIE wannabes etc. I may be wrong as never been there (apart from a night at the airport) but that's what I Imagine. 

might depend on where you go  .. the Malls do have a lot of designer shops and thus you get the fake tan brigade out shopping but the resorts I've stayed at have tended to be where the rich Arabs go to liaise with Russian hookers rather than TOWIE type's  ...

Looking at going to Amsterdam and Bruges in the summer and driving between the two. Any suggestions of somewhere in between or within drivable distance that is worth a couple of days? Paris, Antwerp, Brussels? Back out to Western Germany perhaps?

i've heard groningen is nice around the 2nd august...

That's the first stop! 

I've just booked up the first leg of my belgian -netherlands tour and I'll be going to amsterdam from bruges -  via brussels - that will be worth it if you have time or for a historical place - ghent is north of brussels but still on the way to bruges as well. Brussels has lots to see, I'm being finickity and doing that first then off to bruges before coming back through it to Amsterdam. Utrecht would also be a close stop near to Amsterdam too. If it's a couple of days plus worth then definitely Brussels. or Antwerp maybe.  Or you divert yourself a bit extra and head down to Chimay south of Bruges for some Beer! Liege is also nearish in the route I have no idea if it's worth visiting. And as said Rotterdam will be on the way too! I have no idea if they#re worth going to by the way myself :lol: although I strongly suspect Brussels will be at the least

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â