2014 Holiday Plans

Xela

Thanks all.  Cape Town does appeal to me but I think Mrs is keen on somewhere like Vietnam/Cambodia or Bali. We are looking to go late July/early August.  We want a combination of a bit of adventure, a nice beach and some culture.

Cambodia, personally, I would not visit again. Angkor Wat was a huge anticlimax, Siam Reap a shittier Bangkok, the coastal resort Sihanoukville a drug fuelled hovel. The islands were nice, but nothing specatular.

Cape Town, however, is brilliant. Probably had my best ever trip in South Africa, (did the Garden Route, Cape Town to Plettenburg Bay) and had a blast. Beautiful countryside, fantastic people and its very friendly on the wallet too.

• Like 1

Need some holiday ideas for the summer. Original plan was to go to South America but I cant get enough time off. Me and the Mrs have 2 weeks and decent budget to go somewhere pretty special but I am struggling to come up with a good idea. At the minute we are thinking either Cape Town or Bali

I'd rule Bali out if you want "special " tbh

Though you could go do the Komodo dragons which would make it worth while

Agree. I wasn't a fan of Bali, but...the Gilli Islands made the trip totally worthwhile. They're reached by fast boat from Bali and are well worth the effort.

Stlll nothing booked for me, sucks having mates that are all married now!

Why dont you go alone, stay in a hostel and your bound to meet lots of new people?

Also sights like trav buddies were you can arrange to travel with some one else or arrange to meet other people on your travels??

Ive travelled quite a bit but ive never done it alone. Something ive always fancied doing, everyone I know who has, as come back and said they had an amazing time...plus im told alot of solo travelers tend to be females which is always a bonus.

Yeah I see your point but at 35 this year, maybe i'm a bit too old for sharing hostels with 18 year olds! Plus i'm an old miserable bastard! ;)

Fixed for you.

Thanks all.  Cape Town does appeal to me but I think Mrs is keen on somewhere like Vietnam/Cambodia or Bali. We are looking to go late July/early August.  We want a combination of a bit of adventure, a nice beach and some culture.

Cambodia, personally, I would not visit again. Angkor Wat was a huge anticlimax, Siam Reap a shittier Bangkok, the coastal resort Sihanoukville a drug fuelled hovel. The islands were nice, but nothing specatular.

Funny how different opinions can be. I loved Cambodia. Angkor Wat was amazing, we hired our own driver and guide and he took us to some of the less busy ruins, as well as the more popular ones.

Siem Reap was a small town (less than 200,000 population) so can't really be compared to Bangers?, unless you meant Phnom Penh? Even still they are vastly different in size and wealth. Not been to Sihanoukaville but not heard great things about it  :)

Funny how different opinions can be. I loved Cambodia. Angkor Wat was amazing, we hired our own driver and guide and he took us to some of the less busy ruins, as well as the more popular ones.

Siem Reap was a small town (less than 200,000 population) so can't really be compared to Bangers?, unless you meant Phnom Penh? Even still they are vastly different in size and wealth. Not been to Sihanoukaville but not heard great things about it  :)

I think he means the bar street /area  in Siem Reap full of pizza places, bars and hookers for his comparison  ..though he could have been talking about Sharkey's in PP :)

I enjoyed Cambodia , more so as I entered it via boat from Vietnam ( Chau Doc to Phnom Penh) so travelled about 3 hours along the Mekong Delta  ... fascinating to see the river life , slightly glad that I don't have to live it truth be told  , it looks a tough existence

PP and the killing fields and the school , Siem Reap and Angkor Wat  ... very interesting country culture and history ... .. though maybe not the killing fields for that "special " trip the OP was looking for :)

I think he means the bar street /area  in Siem Reap full of pizza places, bars and hookers for his comparison  ..though he could have been talking about Sharkey's in PP :)

I enjoyed Cambodia , more so as I entered it via boat from Vietnam ( Chau Doc to Phnom Penh) so travelled about 3 hours along the Mekong Delta  ... fascinating to see the river life , slightly glad that I don't have to live it truth be told  , it looks a tough existence

PP and the killing fields and the school , Siem Reap and Angkor Wat  ... very interesting country culture and history ... .. though maybe not the killing fields for that "special " trip the OP was looking for :)

If that is the case then the bulk of the main cities in SE Asia are like that!  :) I thought Siem Reap was quite laid back... PP had a bit more of an edge to it. I ventured into Sharkeys for a few but decided against Heart of Darkness. Still, a mate managed to cut an artery in his hand in PP, which shot blood out like a jet. That was an interesting evening!  :)

Late July / Early August may not be the best for CT anyway. It's their winter then and can be somewhat "chilly" and blustery.

But try and get there at some point, it's a great part of the world to see and more importantly experience

If that is the case then the bulk of the main cities in SE Asia are like that!  :) I thought Siem Reap was quite laid back... PP had a bit more of an edge to it. I ventured into Sharkeys for a few but decided against Heart of Darkness. Still, a mate managed to cut an artery in his hand in PP, which shot blood out like a jet. That was an interesting evening!  :)

Thats exactly what i meant, cheers! I was just hugely disappointed with Siam Reap. The gateway to Angkor Wat, and it was nothing more than a smutty tourism product clinging on to a cultural theme. Ive been to lots of SE Asian cities, and rightly so as you pointed out, they all have a "wild side", but I just expected Siam Reap to be a little different. My bad for not researching enough I suppose.

Disclaimer: I love Bangkok. Brilliant city. I went to Siam Reap with the Mrs, perhaps one of the reasons I didnt like it as much, definitely a place to go on a boys trip!

http://www.travelbag.co.uk/destinations/asia/cambodia-laos/siem-reap/multicenters/3nts-kuala-lumpur,-3nts-cambodia-8nts-penang?id=186

travelbag asia do 3 nights kula lumpur, 3 nights cambodia, 8 nights penang for under £1k if you wanted that part of the world, think they have a shop in solihull and you can chop and change all of it too, from my experience by the time you've changed it to the dates you actually want it works out about £200 more than they advertise

certainly seem the cheapest travel agent when it comes to multi centre asia

before someone tells you to do it all yourself...

• Like 1

Thanks.  Will have a look at that.

Anyone have any experience of Canada?  I am thinking maybe combining New York and Canada, if at all possible.

Yup :-)

Mainly on the West side of things - often had to go to Calgary with work so got to know Alberta pretty well and the Rockies etc (Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise etc). Have been to Toronto and liked that a lot, wasn't that keen on Montreal (far too much forced French)

You can easily combine NY and the East Coast Canadian cities (via Niagra etc)

Managed to get a bit more time off for work so looks like South America may be a go!  Not as long as I would want but enough time to do inca trail, iguazu falls and Rio.

Iguaza falls are on my to do list 

Inca trail will be cool but i'd seriously suggest the train at least one way as it's an amazing journey through the mountains  .... interestingly when we went there were landslides and the Inca trail to Machu Pichu was blocked  so allow some spare time in that area

as people probably know by now , I don't hang about when I visit these places , but my little trip from 2007 might give you some ideas that you hadn't considered  .. you can always take a bit more time :)

entering via Mexico allowed us to purchase a LAN airpass which was amazing value  .. worth checking out to see if they still offer them

6r5z00.jpg

some pics here if you want an idea of these places i mention

Thanks Tony.  I will look into that.  At the moment the plan is to fly in and out of RIo and in between get internal flights or a train.  I imagine there are much cheaper ways to do it and I will research into it a bit more to make sure I do it properly! 

Â