2014 Holiday Plans

Xela

You can get a one or a three day pass . One is plenty if you get there before the sun comes up. Siem reap is worth a night out so I'd say two nights there would be fine (one full day at Angkor).

2 nights would cover it IMO

It's got a street full of pizza places and discos so depends if you like being in the company of hundreds of westerners or not :)

Have a read of Dom Joly's book " accidental tourist " before you go he spent a bit more time there and met one of the Khmer Rouge generals if I recall

Wasn't too bad for overload of Westerners when I was there because it was Khmer new year so 'pub street' was full of locals every night getting drunk off two beers and having water/talcum powder fights

• Like 1

Phuket sucks major donkey balls.  Maybe worth a one night stay as a base and to experience the seediness and then to hop over to Koh Phi Phi (The Beach).  Phi Phi is beautiful but very overpriced for Thailand.

I preferred the islands on the East, Samui, Phangam and especially Koh Tao.

I settled on thailand in the end. The flights to vietnam were just too much.

Considering im only there 2 weeks what does people think of my itenary.

Ive booked flights to bangkok. 2 nights there. Then sleeper train to chain mai. 3 nights there. Flight back to bangkok. Then flight to siem riep (I know its probably not a good idea to go here with my short time, but really want to see angkor watt). 2 nights here. Fly back then go islands like koi samoi fir rest of holiday. Any nice islands anyone recommends that will be quieter and still beautiful?? Any changes to my itinerary?

I would recommend taking one day out of Chiang Mai to have a look at Pai (four hours on a bus, nice scenic journey; or you can fly). I preferred it to Chiang Mai anyway. If you're looking to stay in a hostel rather than a hotel then Julie's in Chiang Mai is really cool and cheap too. Just a heads up on your trip to Siem Reap if you didn;t know, the visa will cost $20 cash on arrival at Siem Reap airport. Angkor Wat is so worth it; get up early and find a tuk tuk driver to hire for the day, think we paid $17 to our bloke for the day and he will drive you to the temples and then around when you get there and they tend to know decent routes around the temples too.
Thanks for the advice really appreciate it!!

As ill be doing alot of internal flying within and thailand and to siam reap is their a way to save money on flights like multi flights or something?? I hear air asia is the best for flights in thailand like bangkok to koi samui etc. I seen return flights for £60 with air asia.

Air Asia are brilliant for flights in SE Asia but from memory they don't fly from Bangkok to Koh Samui, as I think Bangkok Airways has the monopoly on that.

You've got a lot of flights on your schedule. Flying back from Siem Reap (Angkor is amazing) then flying straight back out to Samui? I like Samui, I went in 07 and stopped in the main area (Chaweng) but it was very popular then and no doubt has got bigger since. There will be quieter resorts though. If you don't want to add another return flight on your trip then look at somewhere where you can get to from Bangkok by taxi / bus. Hua Hin, Koh Chang or Koh Samet are all doable without flying and would no doubt be quieter than Samui (Hua Hin is coastal but still on the mainland, while the other two are accessed by ferry). Not been to any but remember considering them in the past

Cheers for the advice!

Yeah I agree that their seems a lot of flights there. I was reading that you can catch a ferry from bangkok to phuket which woukd be ideal.

Is phucket a nice beach resort or is it very seedy?? To be honest for the second week would like a nice beach resort with things to do but not seedy. Ill have a google of the places you mentioned.

Also angkor watt, considering im their for only 2 weeks is 2 nights sufficient or is there enought to keep me occupied for 3??

I imagine a ferry to Phuket would take an age? Bangkok is about two hours from the sea (I think, from memory) and Phuket is a fair way down the Andaman across the other side of Thailand so would need to go round Malaysia and Singapore? Can get a bus from Bangers to Phuket but think its a good 12 hours. If Phuket is your destination then flight is the besr option. 

Phuket can be idyllic or seedy, depending on where you stay. Bangla Road in Patong is proper seedy, but a good laugh as well. Quieter beach area like Kata, Kata Noi and Karon are much calmer and peaceful.

I did 3 nights in Siem Reap, which was ideal I think. This included 2 full days at the Angkor site. 

Sarajevo is absolutely wonderful.

Could you elaborate a little?  I've heard nothing but great things about this place which has inspired me to visit this year.

Apologies for late reply to this...

Sarajevo is a perfect city break. Its small enough to be able to navigate on foot, yet big enough to have a lot of different things to see. The old town and the bazaar's are a great way to spend a few hours, and its got enough religious building to keep the culture vultures interested.

The nightlife is very good, and the prices even better. The people I've always found to be friendly, and the women, good lord. Enough said.

• Like 1

Hoping to do Belgrade - Sarjevo - Podgorica - Pristina - Skopje -Orhid- Butrint (Albania) - Corfu - Athens - Home

but the corfu / Athens bit is dependant on time ... and i may do it in reverse and start in Athens and go home from Belgrade

I've got a confirmed itinerary now for my summer trip, here it is, see what you think...

Pristina x 2 nights

Prizren x 1 night

Skopje x 1 night

Lake Ohrid x 2 nights

Tirana x 2 nights

Saranda x 4 nights (with some day trips included)

Corfu x 2 nights (this is for general decadence on the beach!)

The distances are quite short between places, so im not as worried about seeing a couple of places only for one night. Also, finishing with the beachy part is appealing as can expunge sins from the city nightlife! Im looking forward to this trip immensely, a good mix of history, culture, diverse natural environments and cities.

Costed up flights and accommodation for the entire thing and it comes to £330. I can deal with that, Bring on the fun!

Hoping to do Belgrade - Sarjevo - Podgorica - Pristina - Skopje -Orhid- Butrint (Albania) - Corfu - Athens - Home

but the corfu / Athens bit is dependant on time ... and i may do it in reverse and start in Athens and go home from Belgrade

I've got a confirmed itinerary now for my summer trip, here it is, see what you think...

Pristina x 2 nights

Prizren x 1 night

Skopje x 1 night

Lake Ohrid x 2 nights

Tirana x 2 nights

The distances are quite short between places, so im not as worried about seeing a couple of places only for one night. Also, finishing with the beachy part is appealing as can expunge sins from the city nightlife! Im looking forward to this trip immensely, a good mix of history, culture, diverse natural environments and cities.

Costed up flights and accommodation for the entire thing and it comes to £330. I can deal with that, Bring on the fun!

Looks good

this might help you for the Albania / Saranda stuff  .. he also talks about some other interesting stuff in that area

(the drive from Tirana to Saranda for example which is what we have decided to add  )

we too are planning  a blow out in Corfu on part of the trip ( looks some interesting stuff to see on the island as well )  but currently revising it a bit due to it basically looking a bit too much like just driving non stop

so we are going for  Malta -  Athens - Corfu - Saranda- Tirana  - Home  ... decent flight links and then will get a car to take us up to Tirana from Saranda

I'm going to do Sarajevo and Belgrade in a separate trip as Mrs H and the kids have just decided to go for 3 weeks in Hungary for Easter Half term  B)  ... I will join them for Easter but i am now the proud owner of 2 spare weekends for Boozing and travelling  :hooray:

PS

I've heard conflicting reports on Kosovo .. some good , some say it's as dull .. so worth looking around a bit on the interweb for opinions

Edited by tonyh29

Could you elaborate a little?  I've heard nothing but great things about this place which has inspired me to visit this year.

Sarajevo is a perfect city break. Its small enough to be able to navigate on foot, yet big enough to have a lot of different things to see. The old town and the bazaar's are a great way to spend a few hours, and its got enough religious building to keep the culture vultures interested.

The nightlife is very good, and the prices even better. The people I've always found to be friendly, and the women, good lord. Enough said.

I'll admire from distance.  If they're anywhere close to Ukrainian women though I may have to spend a lot of time sitting down.

I'll admire from distance.  If they're anywhere close to Ukrainian women though I may have to spend a lot of time sitting down.

I'm booked for 4 days in Kiev in Sept with some mates .. 1 day at Chernobyl and 3 days perving at women  ... can;t wait

This and this.

We went out one night there, had a massive meal, 4 pints, 4 doubles and it came to something like £16.

And the women, maaaaaaaaaan :wub:

I'm booked for 4 days in Kiev in Sept with some mates .. 1 day at Chernobyl and 3 days perving at women  ... can;t wait

Don't perv too much or Chernobyl drop off  :)

No cross border trip into Belarus?

Edited by Xela

Could you elaborate a little? I've heard nothing but great things about this place which has inspired me to visit this year.

Sarajevo is a perfect city break. Its small enough to be able to navigate on foot, yet big enough to have a lot of different things to see. The old town and the bazaar's are a great way to spend a few hours, and its got enough religious building to keep the culture vultures interested.

I'll admire from distance. If they're anywhere close to Ukrainian women though I may have to spend a lot of time sitting down.

I'm booked for 4 days in Kiev in Sept with some mates .. 1 day at Chernobyl and 3 days perving at women ... can;t wait

Don't perv too much or Chernobyl drop off :)

No cross border trip into Belarus?

Not an easy one visa wise I believe ... But I might check it out nearer the time and see if it can be done

Just sorting my Iran visa ( no embassy in the Uk so I may to go to Dublin to get it finalised !! ) but found a flight home from Tehran via Baku so now looking into a visa for Azerbaijan

Pristina x 2 nights

Prizren x 1 night

Skopje x 1 night

Lake Ohrid x 2 nights

Tirana x 2 nights

Sounds great, very jealous! 

How you getting from Brum to Pristina?

US and Canada for 3 weeks with a weeks work out there as well.

I hope its teaching Americans that it's pronounced boy and not booey etc

Do you need a work visa in America ?

I'm going to back to my old summer camp for a week. Won't need paying cause I'm happy to enough with room and board.

Think I asked this last year but ill ask again as I've just booked this up

The Algarve, specifically albufeira, just payed £220 each for 7 nights self catering, every holiday we've ever been on was all inclusive and we hardly used it, the beer wouldn't get a nun pissed and food was undesirable, so anyone know what the prices are like in the Algarve? The only things I can find on tripadvisor are 3/4 years old

Â