2014 Holiday Plans

Xela

I'm just off to pathos for a wedding, staying the week. Not looking forward to it as were going to have an 8 week old baby with us plus our 2 year old. Its a family wedding but there is going to be fireworks because the mrs ex boyfreind is her brothers best man. Me and this lad have history and can't stand each other, plus the mrs and this lad had a bad relationship so they don't get on. Add to that the mrs mums fella's son is also coming and me and him don't get on at all. So it should be fun, especially when we have the lads night out there. I can see myself getting locked up but ah well it will be an interesting post for VT.

• Like 1

In the airport at Rotterdam on the way home :( In short, as on phone:

Brussels : lots of museums, grand buildings and generally busy but expensive. Still, enjoyed plenty of Belgian beer

Bruges: didn't realise how touristy it can be. That said had a blast. Very picturesque and beautiful place to go, social city and the best hostel for balancing social activity with giving you some peace too. Locals very friendly ( more so going away from the old town ). Beers are phenomenal ( and strong! )

Ghent: one day there: very beautiful architecture, lovely place to stroll around and relax. Didn't do any museums but imagine they would be decent too

Ypres: went for the flanders fields museum. It is rammed with information, interesting and could stay there longer. Next time would look at a battlefield tour too.

Amsterdam: not what I was expecting really. Great if you want to party no doubt. Otherwise very expensive and oh my god the bikes!! Everywhere it's madness walking around at times. Van gogh museum was terrific though. Anne Frank's house equally was fascinating but overall can't see me wanting to go back

Rotterdam : crazy architecture, some good strolls in parks / near the harbour in gorgeous weather. Hostel was on party st. Sadly. Got 5-6 hrs sleep acrosd 3 days so still feeling grumpy, though that's the hostels fault not the city. Nice beach nearby.

Knackered and really need to get a bit more money to avoid hostelling on the future. Too many annoying US/Aus 20 yo pissheads around but Belgium definitely worth revisiting anyway.

Just had a couple of weeks in Greece - planning a couple of other holidays later.

Greece prices are pretty good this year with pound vs euro rates not bad - bottle of Mythos 2-3 Euro's etc

Interesting the reaction of many nationalities to Russian tourists though - genuine dislike now showing quite openly

I'm flying back from Baku in couple of weeks , as it's a 1 way ticket the club price when I looked to book was coming in at £4k so needless to say I'm flying economy ..

sometimes you can get cheap upgrades through BA , I upgraded my mate and I to club for £70 each on our flight to Istanbul next week for example

checked today for the upgrade price Baku to LHR  .... €30,215.50 :huh:

think I'll stay in economy  ......

Speaking of Greece looking like myself & missus might venture there in September. Ideally we'd want a day in Athens with the rest just relaxing on one of the lovely islands is this doable?

Would it be possible to do Zante & Athens or too much hassle in a week?

Edited by Folski

Speaking of Greece looking like myself & missus might venture there in September. Ideally we'd want a day in Athens with the rest just relaxing on one of the lovely islands is this doable?

I shall be in Athens on Weds , I'll give an update on my return .. my guess is that you'd need a couple of days to do Athens justice ...

you could consider a day trip to Delphi as well but it is about 3 hours each way by bus and some of the day tours don't seem to give you very long there , so it might not be worth it

Zante is only a 55 min flight from Athens so not what I would deem a lot of hassle  , about £50 each way  ... if you initially get an Easy jet type one way flight to Athens you could then get a direct flight back to the UK from Zante for about £140 (into Luton or LGW ..didn't see  a BHX flight) , save you the hassle (and £50) of going back to Athens

I shall be in Athens on Weds , I'll give an update on my return .. my guess is that you'd need a couple of days to do Athens justice ...

you could consider a day trip to Delphi as well but it is about 3 hours each way by bus and some of the day tours don't seem to give you very long there , so it might not be worth it

Zante is only a 55 min flight from Athens so not what I would deem a lot of hassle  , about £50 each way  ... if you initially get an Easy jet type one way flight to Athens you could then get a direct flight back to the UK from Zante for about £140 (into Luton or LGW ..didn't see  a BHX flight) , save you the hassle (and £50) of going back to Athens

You need to set up your own website/company Tony cheers for that man.

TBH I would not bother doing both.

Athens is a strange place and you expect it to be Rome-esque but it isn't.  Some people like it, I found it a bit meh and a slight disappointment but work does not always allow you to see the best bits

While we were in Zante recently we did a fair bit of travelling around the island also we did a trip to the mainland to Olympia to see the site of the original games etc, which I found particularly interesting.

You need to set up your own website/company Tony cheers for that man.

Flights to Zante are available from all over - Monarch do a BHX I think, Leeds Bradford with Jet2, Manc with various, EMA with loads all around etc - accomodation is cheap on Zante also and you can get 1-5 star whatever you want .

So after my lovely family holiday to Majorca cost about £3k, I'll be camping in various places for the rest of the year.

Does camping constitute its own thread?

So after my lovely family holiday to Majorca cost about £3k, I'll be camping in various places for the rest of the year.

Does camping constitute its own thread?

If not it should do! A decent campsite with good facilities in a nice location that doesnt cost the earth is rare indeed.

Athens is a strange place and you expect it to be Rome-esque but it isn't.  Some people like it, I found it a bit meh and a slight disappointment but work does not always allow you to see the best bits

While we were in Zante recently we did a fair bit of travelling around the island also we did a trip to the mainland to Olympia to see the site of the original games etc, which I found particularly interesting.

you were there for the grand opening weren't you  :P

you were there for the grand opening weren't you  :P

You had to be pure and of no sin to appear .......

I went to zante last year, kalamaki was the resort we went to. I had the best indian there I've ever had, also this other place we went to which did all kinds of food was the best mixed grill I'd ever had. Was bloody huge, we ended up there four nights out of the seven. The year before we went to marmaris,turkey. We ended up catching the boat to rhodes for the day, lovely place.

Â