2014 Holiday Plans

Xela

Booked Marmaris in may with the missis. Any one been? Any recommendations?

Also going Majorca on aug with missis and her family

Id recommend you keep your missus on a leash away from the turks who will enviably hit on your missus every bar and shop you walk past!!...other then that the lazy day cruises (dead cheap) are a nice way to spend the day as are the sea fishing trips, obvious water sports and you could take a day trip to Romania if you want to tick off two countries in one holiday.
Is it really that sleazy? I'd heard mixed reviews. I've seen one boat trip that takes you to some tombs then a mud a bath and sulphur bath, finally taking in turtle beach. Looks a really good day out. Thanks for info btw
I love turkey but not a big fan of turks. They will hassle you constantly and they are way to touchy feely with the females and to be honest its a real shame because turkey is a beautiful country and if you just want a relaxing holiday it can get annoying. Might be just me though as im not the most patient of persons.

Heard bad reports about turtle beach but sounds good if it includes seeing the tombs and the mud bath I guess. Marmaris has a beautiful harbour which is worth seeing at night and you can take a short ferry to rhodes, greece which is another day trip. Marmaris is defo a party town, lots and lots of nightclubs and bars so your never be bored and there is defo plenty of things to do.

Edited by donnie

Stlll nothing booked for me, sucks having mates that are all married now!

Why dont you go alone, stay in a hostel and your bound to meet lots of new people?

Also sights like trav buddies were you can arrange to travel with some one else or arrange to meet other people on your travels??

Ive travelled quite a bit but ive never done it alone. Something ive always fancied doing, everyone I know who has, as come back and said they had an amazing time...plus im told alot of solo travelers tend to be females which is always a bonus.

Edited by donnie

Why dont you go alone, stay in a hostel and your bound to meet lots of new people?

Also sights like trav buddies were you can arrange to travel with some one else or arrange to meet other people on your travels??

Ive travelled quite a bit but ive never done it alone. Something ive always fancied doing, everyone I know who has, as come back and said they had an amazing time...plus im told alot of solo travelers tend to be females which is always a bonus.

The people that stay in hostels are back packers and not the sort of people xela ( or anyone for that matter )wants to be meeting :)

I do a lot of travelling on my own ... I've got a free weekend coming up as family are off to Hungary a week before me ... So I've just booked myself a weekend in Vilnius rather than be bored at home that weekend

• Like 1

Need some holiday ideas for the summer.  Original plan was to go to South America but I cant get enough time off.  Me and the Mrs have 2 weeks and decent budget to go somewhere pretty special but I am struggling to come up with a good idea.  At the minute we are thinking either Cape Town or Bali

Need some holiday ideas for the summer. Original plan was to go to South America but I cant get enough time off. Me and the Mrs have 2 weeks and decent budget to go somewhere pretty special but I am struggling to come up with a good idea. At the minute we are thinking either Cape Town or Bali

I'd rule Bali out if you want "special " tbh

Though you could go do the Komodo dragons which would make it worth while

Yeah I see your point but at 35 this year, maybe i'm a bit too old for sharing hostels with 18 year olds! Plus i'm a miserable bastard!  ;)

Need some holiday ideas for the summer. Original plan was to go to South America but I cant get enough time off. Me and the Mrs have 2 weeks and decent budget to go somewhere pretty special but I am struggling to come up with a good idea. At the minute we are thinking either Cape Town or Bali

Thanks.  Think I need to do a little research

Need some holiday ideas for the summer.  Original plan was to go to South America but I cant get enough time off.  Me and the Mrs have 2 weeks and decent budget to go somewhere pretty special but I am struggling to come up with a good idea.  At the minute we are thinking either Cape Town or Bali

If you like food I am currently stuck in Rodney Bay, St.Lucia, for a couple of nights. Lots of very nice eateries that are not outrageously priced. Certainly somewhere that I could come to for a two week beach chill, and enough to see on the interior of the island for a couple of day's change.

I believe that Virgin offer some reasonable packages.

I disagree with Tony :-)  You have been once mate and you were in Kuta for some of that, it's like going to Magaluf and saying Spain is crap.

Bali has got some jaw dropping places - base yourself in Ubud for instance and trek around a bit. Some of the beaches are also awesome with friendly people etc

Edited by drat01

If you like food I am currently stuck in Rodney Bay, St.Lucia, for a couple of nights. Lots of very nice eateries that are not outrageously priced. Certainly somewhere that I could come to for a two week beach chill, and enough to see on the interior of the island for a couple of day's change.

I enjoyed St Lucia last year. Rodney Bay is probably the best "Caribbean" beach on there IMO. You managed to get inland at all?

Loved some of the little villages drinking a Rum and talking to the locals about Banana's :-)

OK - as per previous post Bali is great - do a bit of research, and you can be like "wow" etc. Go to Kuta even for one day and see a drunk Aussie or two. We did a lot of travelling around the pace and loved it - we did a via HK trip so had a few days there on the way out

Cape Town I was down there this week and it's superb. The surrounding areas are great also - Fish Hoek is a particular favourite place of mine, not overly scenic but still a great place. Camps Bay is probably the best (and liveliest) beach area around there. A lot depends on when you go to CT because you can get all four seasons in one day in Winter etc.

I'm down again this coming week so will ask some of the local guys re good "locals only" places etc

Again Tony you are wrong. You have been once mate and you were in Kuta for some of that, it's like going to Magaluf and saying Spain is crap.

Bali has got some jaw dropping places - base yourself in Ubud for instance and trek around a bit. Some of the beaches are also awesome with friendly people etc

There are no wrong answers when it comes to destinations just opinions

I offered an opinion that Bali isn't that special , I didn't dislike Bali but I just wouldn't call it "special " .... There are better beach holiday destinations , there are better trekking destinations and there are better cultural destinations

Your entitled to your opinion of course but I wouldn't be so brash as to deem your opinion as wrong ... Let's just say its the opposite of right :)

Yeah Tony sorry my post was harsh, I apologise

As an "island" Bali was special IMO (and many others) you just need to get away and get around is my advice. As said Kuta is a place you go to once and laugh at the aussies

For me though Bali has got a lot of all sorts of things that typically interest most people on holidays from beaches, to treks, to scenery, to friendly people, to cost, to culture even - especially if you have not travelled much in the Far East

• Like 1

I enjoyed St Lucia last year. Rodney Bay is probably the best "Caribbean" beach on there IMO. You managed to get inland at all?

Loved some of the little villages drinking a Rum and talking to the locals about Banana's :-)

Only the drove up from Hewanorra. Chilling today then full on work Mon/Tue, with an island change on Wednesday.

Only the drove up from Hewanorra. Chilling today then full on work Mon/Tue, with an island change on Wednesday.

Bloody work gets in the way on these trips doesn't it :-)

Have a Piton (beer) on me ... :cheers:

• Like 1

Yeah Tony sorry my post was harsh, I apologise

As an "island" Bali was special IMO (and many others) you just need to get away and get around is my advice. As said Kuta is a place you go to once and laugh at the aussies

For me though Bali has got a lot of all sorts of things that typically interest most people on holidays from beaches, to treks, to scenery, to friendly people, to cost, to culture even - especially if you have not travelled much in the Far East

I spent 3 days living on a boat when i went there , it's quite magical sleeping under the stars (and not an Aussie wearing a wife beater in sight either ) catching 2 turtles shagging in the water , a morning snorkel with sharks etc

The dragons are pretty unique to that region , that itself is a reason to go there , one could almost say that does make it special .... spotting a baby one up in a tree and then having a huge wild adult walk within a few feet of me was an experience ( the one that walked near us had eaten from the swell in its body but even so the rangers had quite a fear of it and kept a watch fall eye and pronged stick at the ready )

PNG aside I think I've visited every country in the Far East so I've got quite a reasonable bench mark to go on , though I accept that I haven't seen all that Bali has to offer

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Cape Town does appeal to me but I think Mrs is keen on somewhere like Vietnam/Cambodia or Bali. We are looking to go late July/early August.  We want a combination of a bit of adventure, a nice beach and some culture.

Â