2014 Holiday Plans

Xela

Hoping to do Belgrade - Sarjevo - Podgorica - Pristina - Skopje -Orhid- Butrint (Albania) - Corfu - Athens - Home

but the corfu / Athens bit is dependant on time ... and i may do it in reverse and start in Athens and go home from Belgrade

I've got a confirmed itinerary now for my summer trip, here it is, see what you think...

Pristina x 2 nights

Prizren x 1 night

Skopje x 1 night

Lake Ohrid x 2 nights

Tirana x 2 nights

Saranda x 4 nights (with some day trips included)

Corfu x 2 nights (this is for general decadence on the beach!)

The distances are quite short between places, so im not as worried about seeing a couple of places only for one night. Also, finishing with the beachy part is appealing as can expunge sins from the city nightlife! Im looking forward to this trip immensely, a good mix of history, culture, diverse natural environments and cities.

Costed up flights and accommodation for the entire thing and it comes to £330. I can deal with that, Bring on the fun!

Sounds great, very jealous! 

How you getting from Brum to Pristina?

Were flying into Skopje from Luton, then getting a train on the same day to Pristina. Apparently its a very scenic journey, so we'll buy a cool box in skopje, fill it with beers and start the trip in style!

Just got back from Sharm El Sheikh.  Loved it.  It was a stag do and there was a bit of everything for everybody.  One question - why are there so many Russians there?

The Russians love it! Thailand is the same now. I think they were late in getting the 'package holiday' thing so are making up for lost time by flooding everywhere in droves, 

Nha Trang in Vietnam is like little Russia too.  I don't like to generalise but I don't tend to find Russian tourists the most pleasant of people.

on the plus side their women always wear the skimpiest of thongs on the beach  :hooray:

but yes to your original statement  (in a non stereotype way  )

It was 50/50 where I was in terms of how nice the Russians were.  I spoke to one who told me that it cost him $200 to take him, his wife and his son on holiday to Sharm, 5, all inc for a week.  I figured that may be the reason!

Nha Trang in Vietnam is like little Russia too.  I don't like to generalise but I don't tend to find Russian tourists the most pleasant of people.

Did you go to Mui Ne? Even more so!

No, cripes sounds like you wouldn't be able to move for them.

I've heard the Russians you meet on the trans Siberian are the opposite though, very accommodating and they ply you with vodka.  Not sure if some have an ulterior motive though.  I only did the Beijing to Ulaanbataar leg because I couldn't get a Russian visa.

My other experience of Russians is seeing England fans get jumped by them in Donetsk on the way to the England v France game last year.  "We are the Russian hooligans" they declared.

Always found the Russians tend to keep themselves to themselves whenever I've been next to them, except when in Spain a few years ago and a group of them seiged the jacuzzi all day.

No where near as bad as the French though, with whom ive had arguments with everywhere ive been

It was 50/50 where I was in terms of how nice the Russians were.  I spoke to one who told me that it cost him $200 to take him, his wife and his son on holiday to Sharm, 5, all inc for a week.  I figured that may be the reason!

The good 50% were probably Ukrainian  :)

My rule is French people out of France = lovely, French people in France = lame.

Tbf I've found once you leave Paris they are ok

But a visitor to England would probably say the same thing about London

• Like 1

Looking into a Three sim card to take over to the US, mainly for internet purposes as it doesn't cost any more as far as I am aware. The 'Ultimate Internet SIM' seems the best bet with unlimited data and its just under £13 for a month. Would it be worth grabbing a 'MiFi' to use with it? Anybody used one?

Personally I just buy a sim in the country im visiting, works out cheaper and you can just throw it when you get home

Yeah, thing is I want it for tethering internet because I'll most likely have work to do on some nights - I'll have a look!

• 1 month later...

Booked Marmaris in may with the missis. Any one been? Any recommendations?

Also going Majorca on aug with missis and her family

Id recommend you keep your missus on a leash away from the turks who will enviably hit on your missus every bar and shop you walk past!!...other then that the lazy day cruises (dead cheap) are a nice way to spend the day as are the sea fishing trips, obvious water sports and you could take a day trip to Romania if you want to tick off two countries in one holiday.

Booked Marmaris in may with the missis. Any one been? Any recommendations?

Also going Majorca on aug with missis and her family

Id recommend you keep your missus on a leash away from the turks who will enviably hit on your missus every bar and shop you walk past!!...other then that the lazy day cruises (dead cheap) are a nice way to spend the day as are the sea fishing trips, obvious water sports and you could take a day trip to Romania if you want to tick off two countries in one holiday.

Is it really that sleazy? I'd heard mixed reviews. I've seen one boat trip that takes you to some tombs then a mud a bath and sulphur bath, finally taking in turtle beach. Looks a really good day out. Thanks for info btw

Â