2014 Holiday Plans

Xela

• 2 months later...

Anyone been to Dusseldorf?

yes

:P

What did you think of it?

Glad you asked :)

Well it has a nice water front area , old town , parks and what not with a few old churches and buildings ... And of course you can get my favourite pork knuckle in most of the restaurants :)

It's definitely worth a short stay if you are talking about a weekend break ?

• Like 1

Cheers Tony. Looking at a couple of nights in December and Germany is always a good option for beers, pork based nourishment and festive cheer  :)

The old town sounds nice and around 260 bars there according to reports! Plus the local tipple which is beer which tastes like bacon! 

Mmmmmmm bacon

I got fooled into having a bacon based cocktail in Toronto

It was vile , probably due to it having some form of tomato with it , bacon beer sounds like a winner though

Off to Israel and Palestine in December

had a companion  ticket that was due to expire and managed to get a couple of free flights for me and my mate

2 new countries for me been meaning to visit Israel in particular for a while so looking forward to it

• 1 month later...

This year has been a damp squib in terms of holidays. Got Belgium and Luxembourg later this week but that's it. 

Trips to Reykjavik and Dusseldorf fell by the wayside due to mates dropping out for various reasons (work, kids, grumpy wife, etc). Need to get back on it next year.

Trips to Reykjavik and Dusseldorf fell by the wayside due to mates dropping out for various reasons (work, kids, grumpy wife, etc).

It wouldn't be so bad (well, it would but still) if people didn't say they would definitely be up for it. Just be honest from the start!! Just because you've had a beer or two, don't start making plans you won't stick to. That's why I find with some of my friends anyway...they'll be adamant they'll go somewhere (usually after a few pints) but then drop out.

Just seen the Düsseldorf post, I know you didn't end up going but...

I lived just outside Ddorf for 9 months, it's alright but I would always suggest Köln as a better weekend away. You can always jump on a train to have an afternoon in Ddorf and the old town is decent with plenty of pubs but there's more to do in Köln IMO.

Â