Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

The biggest problem with our squad is the midfield. Yes we have struggled without Vlaar (fitness) and Benteke (fitness/form) but we still have 11 men on the pitch. Our midfield has not been good enough since Milner left and no manager has rectified the lack of quality in there since his departure.

Lambert's midfield signings have been very poor, which is disappointing for someone who excelled in the role himself.

Look at Southampton's midfield today, with the likes of Davis, Cork and Schneiderlin all signed when they were outside of the Premier League. They play a strong, pressing game because the manager wants them to do that. They cause teams problems where as ours manage to create problems for ourself.

• Like 2

I'm all for giving managers the time they need, but unfortunately since he took over, Lerner has always appointed a worse manager than the one before, and has made no exception with Lambert. So Lambert is very much deserving of the sack, but then Lerner would have to break the habit of a lifetime and appoint somebody better. Still, we live in hope.

Every manager that Lerner has appointed bar the first has been forced upon him and it wasn't his choice to have to do it. Don't be kidding yourself, Lambert will be here to the end of the season at least in which I agree with

I'm all for giving managers the time they need, but unfortunately since he took over, Lerner has always appointed a worse manager than the one before, and has made no exception with Lambert. So Lambert is very much deserving of the sack, but then Lerner would have to break the habit of a lifetime and appoint somebody better. Still, we live in hope.

Every manager that Lerner has appointed bar the first has been forced upon him and it wasn't his choice to have to do it. Don't be kidding yourself, Lambert will be here to the end of the season at least in which I agree with

Eh?  He was FORCED to appoint Houllier, McLeish and Lambert?  What on earth are you on about?

• Like 1

Benteke may not be firing on all cylinders but when you spend the most time in your own half than any other team in the league what is he supposed to do.

We pass the ball less than any team in the league bar Palace. We have the least amount of possession in the league bar Palace.

We are in woeful form at the moment and are limping to just over 40 points,

No goals in the first half at home.

Helenius was signed and yet Bowery came on yesterday ahead of him (on the wing too, another example of bizarre tactics and ideas)

Often when a manager is changed there is an impetus or honeymoon period, at the moment, in terms of football and results I don't see how it can get much worse if a change didnt work out in that way.

Having 5 defenders and 3 cm's against a West Ham side with no recognised striker is appalling. 2 shots on target v Fulham. 3 shots on target against Saints but fortunately they all went in, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that every game. 4 shots on target yesterday.

The evidence for him to stay is very weak especially when you see some of the names knocking around for a lesser club like West Brom.

We are not going to win anything any time soon, so if its too much to ask I just want to see some sort of attacking football. Football is meant to be a release not a chore.

Eh? He was FORCED to appoint Houllier, McLeish and Lambert? What on earth are you on about?

No need to get snotty, been a problem with VT past few weeks.

I said he was forced in to pointing new managers as O'Neill up'd and left, Houllier took ill and the fans forced him over McLeish by not renewing season tickets. Wasn't Lerners choice to get rid of them

I think people are underestimating the difficulties of Lambert's job. Bringing another manager in would just be restarting the cycle until we sack him and go again. There needs to be real change at the top of the club, we need more ambition from Lerner. Lambert needs to stay for a longer period.

But thats working on the premise that another manager wouldn't do better.

I remember people around here wanting O'Neill out despite three top six finishes on the spin - hysteria is a funny old thing.  While I can see Villa's form isn't good at the moment I back Lambert and the team to pull through.  Given the resources Lambert has had to spend and the job he is trying to do with those resources I don't think any manager out there would be doing a better job - I'm behind him and the boys 110%.

I agree that we should keep Lambert but I think it was a different situation with O'Neill. He had resources that Lambert could only dream of and we weren't really progressing. Not that I ever called for O'Neill's head, but he left us in a massive mess.

Mantis, can you ever contribute to a thread without getting engaged in an argument or taking offence at something?

Genuine question as every time I see your name on here you seem to be in some sort of conflict with someone. It's rather tiresome.

In answer to the thread: I genuinely don't know. I'd like to think not, but then Lambert's records just keep getting worse by the week. Does anybody know what his win percentage is? If we lose the next 2/3, this question may become irrelevant anyway.

What a load of absolute rubbish. If you'll read back through the posts you'll see that everything was fine until I was accused of "seeing things in black and white" completely out of the blue. It was completely uncalled for, a bit like this post actually.

But yes, I often contribute to threads without "getting engaged in an argument" or "taking offence at something". Unfortunately that becomes more difficult when certain posters jump into the thread purely to have a pop at me and not actually engage with the discussion. I'd like it more than anyone if people could just respond to my posts without getting in pointless personal digs or trying to point score.

Kind of ironic that you come in here moaning about the conflict yet this kind of post is exactly what starts it.

Sorry but the reason why this poster, the above poster and a few others engage you Mantis is that you criticise other posters for doing exactly what you do and you've done it again in the bolded text of your post.

Eh? He was FORCED to appoint Houllier, McLeish and Lambert? What on earth are you on about?

I said he was forced in to pointing new managers as O'Neill up'd and left, Houllier took ill and the fans forced him over McLeish by not renewing season tickets. Wasn't Lerners choice to get rid of them

Um, the fans forced Lerner to appoint McLeish? Now I've read everything!

Um, the fans forced Lerner to appoint McLeish? Now I've read everything!

I think he means the fans forced him to sack McLeish. 

I think people are underestimating the difficulties of Lambert's job. Bringing another manager in would just be restarting the cycle until we sack him and go again. There needs to be real change at the top of the club, we need more ambition from Lerner. Lambert needs to stay for a longer period.

But thats working on the premise that another manager wouldn't do better.

Morph, we have been trapped in a continuous transitional period for the last three years. We need a manager who is going to stay for longer than two seasons to rectify our problems and re-establish us as a top club. If we sack Lambert now, we will be taking many steps backwards and we will probably lose our premiership status in the process. 

For the time being, it is about surviving and building.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Yes 'Gentleman' I agree that we need stability and i'm not advocating sacking Lambert yet but hypothetically speaking if Lambert was sacked there is nothing to say that another manager couldn't do better within the same budget constraints and thats my point.

• Like 1

Yes 'Gentleman' I agree that we need stability and i'm not advocating sacking Lambert yet but hypothetically speaking if Lambert was sacked there is nothing to say that another manager couldn't do better within the same budget constraints and thats my point.

And there is a bigger chance of failure given Lerner's history of appointing managers. There is no going back now, we must see it through and try to support Lambert.

• Like 1

And there is a bigger chance of failure given Lerner's history of appointing managers. There is no going back now, we must see it through and try to support Lambert.

Lambert has been supported though especially last season when any other set of fans would have turned on the manager with the results produced.

I don't think that sort of patience is going to be prevalent again if we lose against Palace and rightly so.

Sacking the manager is never the right answer, finding the right replacement might be.

0% chance of Lerner sacking Lambert, just won't happen. Nor am i advocating he should atm.

Untill we get a new owner this dross is what we can expect, when and if we get a new owner we'll probably get a new manager aswell

No. Lambert's going to have to do quite a lot worse to get sacked. 

I think most Villa fans saw this slump coming though. We haven't played well this season bar a couple of games. It's quite surprising we have as many points as we have. 

When we (largely) get our key players back Lambert is going to have to figure out a better way to set the team up or bring in some better players if he is going to stay as manager. Playing largely awful, negative football isn't going to get him a new contract here.