Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

B ) Last year's accounts show a transfer spend of £21.7m in spend. Risso (an actual accountant) confirmed this figure doesn't include agent's fees, wages etc.

I think he only told people that wages/bonuses and so on were not included. Things specifically associated with the transfer (agent's fees; legal fees, signing on fees and so on) may well be capitalized and thus would likely be included in that figure.Pez1974's post seems quite clear on the matter.

My bad. I was going from memory to be fair. Looking at the recent list of agent fees (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25170990), we only spent an average amount on them so I don't think that would single-handedly account for the discrepancy in the figures.

Even if we suppose they did, agent fees, signing-on fees etc. are part and parcel of every transfer. So in reality they constitute part of the money the club has spent on any deal.

So at best Lambert has taken those figures out of context. It would be like me buying something on Ebay for £5 with a £10 fee for P&P then going around saying I paid a fiver for it.

You are joking aren't you? If you are saying the abysmal performances of this season are to be ignored then ok no problems. If you are saying that even by the admission of the biggest blind faith villa (lambert ) fan the squad is suitable and able to take the club forward then ok no problems. If you are saying that the we can just ignore all of the stats and records from the past 18 months then ok no problems.

There are massive issues at the club and the only way things will get better is by accepting that and looking at causes and having the professionalism and good sense to correct them

No offence, but I find your views so unnaturally negative that I don't think you're sincere, therefore it's not really worth me replying.
negative? Interesting that you use that as some sort of justification for what Imo is a totally unnatural viewpoint of yours of total blind faith and a unwillingness to accept any sort of scrutiny of what is happening at villa and especially in respect to Lambert

Also interesting that when someone offers counter views to yours backed with examples of why they held, you chose not to even debate any counter views.

Lambert is disappointing me the most with his tactics and man management skills this season. It's not been good enough IMO!

However I think Fergie or Mourhino would struggle with this squad and under this Board (Lerner).

I really don't know what to do other than cross my fingers and pray for the best!

• Like 1

Just before the Bayern Munich v Dortmund final on sky, Paul Lambert and Alan McNally was being interviewed as to their views of the forth coming game, it was a fairly long interview, so inevitably the subject of Aston Villa would be raised, particularly with the current manager and an ex player.

The comments left me feeling that in Lambert we had a real student of the game and he left me feeling confident and proud that in time this man is the man to raise the phoenix from the ashes. I was left in absolutely no doubt that this man knows what to do.... doing it of course, is an entirely different ball game and requires other criteria to be in place.

If I didn't see the images on the television screen I would not believe it is the same man making the post match comments in relation to our matches.......they are in stark contrast to that interview, I hear a man ponder, talk about irrelevances, say much about nothing, nondescript and bland remarks that just don't relate to the game I have just witnessed.

It worries me that, currently this is where we are at. Has his confidence being shot..is he being listened too within the club...has frustration deluded him...is it too big a job...does he need some help?

This currently is not the Paul Lambert i heard on sky with his confusing caledonian twang, but with a clear concise and riveting insight in to his football views.

Edited by TRO

Lambert is disappointing me the most with his tactics and man management skills this season. It's not been good enough IMO!

However I think Fergie or Mourhino would struggle with this squad and under this Board (Lerner).

I really don't know what to do other than cross my fingers and pray for the best!

Right now, in the present climate i don't know who would sort this rabble out.... but Fergie and Mourinho would not have let it get to this stage. Furthermore they have moved on and only want to deal at the high end of the market...Mourinho has dealt in the lower end with Porto, I'm sure he like our own Ron Saunders/Graham Taylor could have captured better quality for modest sums or developed them on the training ground to get better response from them.

I still think that we have taken a knee jerk reaction to the over priced and under performing mercenaries that have darkened our accounts and have plumped for the " young and hungry" alternative as some kinda holy grail.... when in fact a hybrid was the answer.

ps obviously Fergie is no longer, but just talking in past tense.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Only a personal opinioin but if I was a manager I would give nothing away at all in the post match interview (in fact in any interview) - I'd save any comments, insights, changes etc etc for my squad

I'm not sure how explaining tactics or strengths and weaknesses of opponenets etc etc would do anything to help

• Like 4

Right now, in the present climate i don't know who would sort this rabble out.... but Fergie and Mourinho would not have let it get to this stage. Furthermore they have moved on and only want to deal at the high end of the market...Mourinho has dealt in the lower end with Porto, I'm sure he like our own Ron Saunders/Graham Taylor could have captured better quality for modest sums or developed them on the training ground to get better response from them.

I still think the we have taken a knee jerk reaction to the over priced and under performing mercenaries that have darkened our accounts and have plumped for the " young and hungry" alternative as some kinda holy grail.... when in fact a hybrid was the answer.

ps obviously fergie is no longer, but just talking in past tense.

I think that is what we will get eventually - but I think the dross Lambert inherited was not a good starting points

Fergie wasn't Fergie when he started at MU 26 years ago -  i hope PL has enough time to develop in the same direction

Mourinho is an exeptional manager but even he would struggle to uncover gems at £8 and £10k a week - I also suspect that the amount of resource dedicated to scouting is not massive and so that might be a factor also

Only a personal opinioin but if I was a manager I would give nothing away at all in the post match interview (in fact in any interview) - I'd save any comments, insights, changes etc etc for my squad

I'm not sure how explaining tactics or strengths and weaknesses of opponenets etc etc would do anything to help

This. 

One of the most important things a football manager must do is exude confidence....He must be decisive, not to be confused with arrogance and self importance.He must be articulate to the point of knowing exactly what has been going on and what has had the most influencing effects on the performance and result.

Thats what the pundits, fans and the general football industry will judge him on and in some cases his own players will watch it and make mental  judgements

If far better managers than Paul Lambert feel it necessary to come on TV and give after match interviews that leave the viewers/fans in no doubt that have a handle on what has been going on and leave people with assurances corrections and remedies are not just to be plucked from thin air that this guy knows his business, why, because he has picked up on all the relevant points of the game....then I think thats pretty important.

In my view it is of colossal importance that you go in to a game as a fan knowing your manager is in control, that gives you confidence and has a knock on effect.

Listening to a post match interview can give an indication one way or another, whether success can be maintained or defeats can be turned around.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

you don't have to give away trade secrets to show a bit of pomp and clear understanding, you don't have to discuss strengths and weaknesses in a derogatory fashion in order to exhibit your endorsements of events

and it is courteous to respond in such a forthright manner that allows your own fans to be proud of you despite a miserable result.

Its one thing for the fans to say .... do they know what they are doing, for to say after the match, well at least the gaffer knows

Roberto Martinez is one of the best,and was highlighted last season as well as this.

I don't think it's an ideal time to calmly assess the whole game straight afterwards. I'm sure Lambert is constructively critical of players, but it is pointless to berate them on TV with emotions still raw.  

Not asking for any of that....just watch the animation/body language of Roberto Martinez to illustrate what I am saying.

its about exuding confidence....and to say we "were excellent" when we are not is not what I'm saying either.

Edited by TRO

Its like Big John has already mooted.

until we get comments from the club as to where we are in terms of the progress of our austerity programme, it is difficult to make an informed opinion.

not even sure they have any intention of doing such a thing, that the problem.

PF did tell the trust that the books are balanced and we are currently compliant with FFP regulations.

I can't see how this current level of investment could be excused if it continues.

When we have a lot of new signings earning less than £15,000 a week its no surprise we are so awful to watch.

I don't think it's an ideal time to calmly assess the whole game straight afterwards. I'm sure Lambert is constructively critical of players, but it is pointless to berate them on TV with emotions still raw.  

No asking for any of that....just watch the animation/body language of Roberto Martinez to illustrate what I am saying.

its about exuding confidence.

I agree with what you have said about Roberto Martinez; when we were linked with him I managed to watch a few audio clips at Wigan Athletic fans forums and I have seen him on TV many times. RM is very articulate and analyses the game with confidence and composure, but I believe that to be his natural character rather than an act or presentation for the media. Martinez is a great people person and is a very intelligent guy. I think RM would make a great England manager.

However, Lambert is a different personality and will handle things in a different manner, it is neither right or wrong in my opinion. I think Lambert is more of a protective manager and is generally more guarded after and before games. I do not think we see the real PL in an interview, and I also feel it is unfair to judge his knowledge or personality on a TV interview.

No asking for any of that....just watch the animation/body language of Roberto Martinez to illustrate what I am saying.

its about exuding confidence.

I agree with what you have said about Roberto Martinez; when we were linked with him I managed to watch a few audio clips at Wigan Athletic fans forums and I have seen him on TV many times. RM is very articulate and analyses the game with confidence and composure, but I believe that to be his natural character rather than an act or presentation for the media. Martinez is a great people person and is a very intelligent guy. I think RM would make a great England manager.

However, Lambert is a different personality and will handle things in a different manner, it is neither right or wrong in my opinion. I think Lambert is more of a protective manager and is generally more guarded after and before games. I do not think we see the real PL in an interview, and I also feel it is unfair to judge his knowledge or personality on a TV interview.

Fair enough, I do recognise and accept differences in character, RS who I usually quote for obvious reasons, had a similar stance to PL, but he never had so many fires to put out, but he wasn't prolific with post match interviews and wasn't bothered about pleasing anybody, but the fans.

• Like 1

RS never cracked a smile when we were successful.  :)

I do think we need longevity of five to ten years under one manager, it will help enormously to have a proper system in place. People are currently fawning over Everton, but equally Moyes did build a very healthy club to inherit over a long period. I keep saying this but we need to bear with this difficult spell and get through it, better days lie ahead for the club.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

There are many things with the three musketeers that are disappointing.

....  I want the circumstances to change, I want their actions to change, I want their decisions to change.

NOT THEM.

• Like 2