Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Doesn't matter if PL is here or not. We aren't going anywhere for a while due to our budget constraints. I don't blame PL. I don't particularly blame RL as he has kept us financially sound and somewhat sellable to prospective buyers. Its the climate of modern football that is too blame.

I'm bored of it to the point of apathy. I saw the FT result today, sighed a little, giggled as I shook my head then carried on with things.

Such as it should be most fans of stuck in the middle football clubs I suppose.

So our budget constraints us beating a struggling league 1 side who walsall beat last week?!

Its not PL fault. Its not RL's fault its football's fault we lost to Sheffield united and we are so shit?!

Not seeing your point columbo.

You don't see the point because you fail to understand that he isn't talking about the Sheff Utd game specifically, but about the general state of affairs at Villa and in football. I, for one, agree with him. 

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/10503-lambertthe-planthe-future/page-37#entry1181483

:-)

• Like 3

Does anyone really believe that he can turn us around to be a competitive side competing for Europe ?

More to the point, does anyone believe that anybody could turn us in a side competing for Europe in 18 months?

Who do you suggest that could do this dounavilla?

It's pretty obvious to me that there is no one available to do this... the manager needs to alter the team in the coming transfer windows. He should be judged on next seasons performances, not this one.

• Like 2

Doesn't matter if PL is here or not. We aren't going anywhere for a while due to our budget constraints. I don't blame PL. I don't particularly blame RL as he has kept us financially sound and somewhat sellable to prospective buyers. Its the climate of modern football that is too blame.

I'm bored of it to the point of apathy. I saw the FT result today, sighed a little, giggled as I shook my head then carried on with things.

So our budget constraints us beating a struggling league 1 side who walsall beat last week?!

Its not PL fault. Its not RL's fault its football's fault we lost to Sheffield united and we are so shit?!

You don't see the point because you fail to understand that he isn't talking about the Sheff Utd game specifically, but about the general state of affairs at Villa and in football. I, for one, agree with him. 

Jesus Donnie, always so desperate to have a pop, always at your own expense though. D'mann is spot on. I wasn't talking about today's match. Thought that was obvious enough. Just calm down and think clearly for next time yeah?

• Like 3

The players are more at fault here than the manager. I don't care how bad the team selection is or the tactics. The worst selection should beat Sheff Utd. Lambert should be given time to sort out the players. I think calls for sacking the manager are premature and once again just another massive overreaction to a result.

It's been 18 months of absolute shite, not just one bad game!  We're supposed to be improving, but clearly aren't.  Look at our next bunch of league games, can't see a win anywhere in the next 4 at least.

It's not 18 months of absolute shite. We are a club in transformation.

I'll agree with you on that, we're certainly transforming. I'm worried about what we're transforming in to though.

The end of last season is starting to look like a fluke now. Since then one of the players (Sylla) doesn't get a look in, we have decided to play hoofball and we look lost against crap teams, which we now can now comfortably class ourselves as. Yes we've had bad luck with injuries to Okore and Kozak, however this does not excuse the performances and some of the results, particularly at home. I'm not even sure giving Lambert £15m would help. He looks bereft of ideas, which is filtering down to the players.

• Like 1

No movement, no tactics, no competition for players off form, no quality in squad, similar quality players.Of course PLK has to take the blame, of course he has to go, i'm all for giving a guy a chance, but this guy will take us down.There is no fight in the players, they are such a fragile team, no experience, no belief.For the sake of AVFC, i hope Randy has had enough as well.

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/10503-lambertthe-planthe-future/page-37#entry1181483

:-)

Never saw that before. Nice that my trolling was recognised :-)

I'm not fussed about going out the cup. I'm also not fussed with our league position. But our home form is just unforgivable. Do we need to move to a League1 ground to make these League1 players feel more comfortable? 

He's running the risk of losing the home fans completely and when that happens there's no coming back from it, regardless of away form. 

• Like 1

Thing is now - project Lambo isn't going to amount to anything. His first batch of signings I thought were pretty decent considering the fee's paid. But last summers signings were poor - none of them look any good - He also neglected CB where our only senior pro - has dubious injury record. Now suddenly from signing hardly anyone above the age of 22 - we suddenly feel the urge to pay a fee for a 31 year old..... 

Then he says the FA Cup is a distraction - but then fields a strong team - but we loose anyway - the brightspot is goal from a player who hasn't been selected all season......

I know there are budget restrictions - but a lot of these problems are of his own making ....and he appears all at sea to be honest.

I will hold off calling for his head - mainly because I think he is finished anyway - a heavy defeat v liverpool or Arse will just about see him off .....

I wonder who the two managers will be when play WBA ?  Mackay v Adkins ?

• Like 1

Lambert makes some strange decisions at times and today was no exception. Why give the impression he was going to rest senior players and then play them? They were on to a hiding to nothing after that! Now, I'm reading impartial fans saying that they hope Villa get relegated as it would be ironic following Lambert's comments.

I do have sympathy for him because of funding, injuries and unbelievable losses of form for the likes of Benteke, Weimann and Westwood. But, when he goes and does things like this, he certainly isn't making it easy to stick by him or have sympathy for him.

A tip for you Lambert, shut up and just get on with it.

Does anyone really believe that he can turn us around to be a competitive side competing for Europe ?

More to the point, does anyone believe that anybody could turn us in a side competing for Europe in 18 months?

It's pretty obvious to me that there is no one available to do this... the manager needs to alter the team in the coming transfer windows. He should be judged on next seasons performances, not this one.

On the whole of planet earth there is not a better football manager for Aston Villa FC.

Mmmmm................!

Don't see how this can go on much longer.

Team bereft of confidence and ability, manager bereft of ideas, owner who spent the real seed money years ago on the many dross buys of M "chequebook" ON, failed, and has been looking for a way to cash out at the smallest loss ever since.  As the old saying goes a fish rots from the head down and the rights and wrongs of PL are a sideshow while RL remains in the hot seat.

PL out? probably.  RL out? Abso-fricking-lutely.

Has anyone felt as low as this as a Villa fan?

Was the football as depressing and all round experience not even remotely fun when we went down in the 80s?

Nope. Can't remember 86 being as mind numbingly boring as the shite we are suffering right now, especially at home.
  • Like 1

Has anyone felt as low as this as a Villa fan?

Was the football as depressing and all round experience not even remotely fun when we went down in the 80s?

I haven't. Our league position is better than last year alright, and our attitude on the pitch isn't quite as negative as it was under McLeish, but I just feel more and more depressed watching this team every week. I think rather than it just being this season in isolation, it's because we're now been playing badly for season after season.

It's been a few seasons since I've had a season ticket, and I can't justify the money to get to more than a few games a year now, but increasingly over the last few months, I often don't even want to watch the streams. For probably the first time in my life I just often don't want to watch us play at all.

I miss looking forward all week to the trip to Villa Park...now watching us feels like the low point of my week. Maybe I'm just a terrible fan.

Edited by Davkaus

You only need to look at what Tony Pulis has done with a chaotic and desperately low quality Crystal Palace squad to see that a manager can make a real difference even if a squad is deficient. 

I back Lambert - but this is a good point. I still think we should hold off getting rid, but you do make a good point.

I also back Lambert and I don't think sacking another manager is the answer, but I am starting to question a little bit his ability to motivate the team. I know he did it last season, it was a big reason why we stayed up. But it doesn't look like he's managing it this season (and I don't think his comments about the FA Cup helped, even though I think they were taken out of wider context and given a certain amount of spin).

He needs to figure out a way to light a fire under these guys and get them playing with a bit of pride and swagger. I have confidence that this bunch of players has it in them to play well and compete. I have that confidence because I saw how they played in the latter stages of last season. But he needs to find a way to bring that out of them again.

I actually don't want Lambert sacked (yet) as I don't think we're able to attract a better manager that can get these players playing any sort of decent football, not make an instant impact, anyway. Unfortunately an absolutely abysmal squad has been put together, but at this particular point the man currently in charge is the best suited to utilize it. However, things simply must change in the summer, I think we'll just about get four wins and a few draws to stay up then this club must look at its strategy, it's absolutely only a matter of time before luck runs out and the quality of football we play will see us relegated. 

The squad is a relatively lost cause, we took a huge gamble last season on filling the squad with cheap, young players in hope that they would blossom into decent premier league quality players, it's simply not going to happen, the core is just clearly not good enough, the spine is weak and as mentioned in a recent article, the dye has been cast, these 'young' players aren't even particularly young, they're 22/23/24, an age to really step up. They aren't 16/17/18, there'll be very, very minor improvements on players such as Lowton, Westwood, Weimann, Clark, Baker, Albrighton. Our senior players in Guzan, Gabby and Vlaar are consistently our best performers, obviously. The plan just isn't working, it's hopelessly failing. The league is simply too hard to even begin to try and fill a team with so many young players and ride it out, it's almost arrogant to think we could do that and we're getting what we deserve. 

No doubt we'll hear a load more crap from the club about projects and we'll have ITKs on here banging on about glorious 5 year plans and how brilliant everything will be, all hollow words that mean nothing, people need to wake up. That's the problem with this club, all talk, no action.

It's a weird situation, of course I sympathize with the financial restraints he has but there's only so much you can be humiliated like we are, we're such a soft touch it's unreal. If the club is willing to change its model to move us forward, i.e invest in experience and bring through genuine young gems at a slower pace, I think Lambert should be given more time. If the plan is to keep filling the squad with young League 1 players and obscure foreigners from mid table Dutch teams then maybe it's time to give someone else a go as this particular job is just proving to be too difficult for Lambert. Of course, we're currently 11th in the table, from a distance that looks fine but we know there's deep, deep problems here and it's papering over cracks - i'd be extremely surprised if we finished the season with more than 40 points. 

The humiliations, crap football, annoying post game quotes and rubbish signings aside, I still don't believe Lambert should be sacked at this particular moment in time, the summer will be the time to revise this situation. It's a cliche point but we do need to rally after today's latest humiliation.  

• Like 2

On the whole of planet earth there is not a better football manager for Aston Villa FC.

Mmmmm................!

Your sarcastic response coupled with not giving a candidate is pretty shameful.